PDA

View Full Version : Algea problems

sean13
12-04-2005, 07:54 PM
In my 30 gallon tank,algea keep on growing on the gravel.I treid using plecos but my 2 angelfish and discus killed all 3 of them. Any suggestions about getting rid of the algea on the gravel.

Sean

White Worm
12-05-2005, 03:06 AM
Algae thrives on the nutrients in the water, 1. Get rid of the Gravel,,2. Do more water changes to decrease nutrients,, 3. Add algae remover which shouldnt hurt your fish. Vacuum more so that the algae doesnt have a chance to take hold.

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Do you have green algea, brown diatoms or Dark blue green cyano bacteria? Getting rid of the gravel and wiping down the inside of the tank on a regular basis Is my recomendation too :)

JMArtist
12-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Is the tank positioned in a place where direct sunlight is hitting it at any point during the day? Tell tale signs of this would be algae on the glass and gravel in a pattern consistent with the light moving across the tank.
If so, pull the blinds down on that window or reposition the tank to another spot in the room if you can where no direct sun light can hit the tank.
Cut down on how long your tank lights are on.
Feed your fish less for the next week or so, you might be over feeding them.
If you don't plan on removing your gravel, get used to doing deep frequent gravel vacs (assuming your using a Python), pushing the vacuum thru the gravel right down to the glass bottom. Over lap the diameter of the vac opening to each area of the gravel you are cleaning. Remove all tank plants and rocks before starting this.
Depending on how fast or slow you work, you should have removed about 50% of the water by the time your done. Of course, refill the tank...
Fake plants and rocks should be scrubbed with a stiff brush using hot water, do this once a week to remove any algae.
Live plants potted or not should be gently wiped down one leaf at a time with a soft wet paper towel.
Of course wipe down all interior tank surfaces including air lines and heaters.
Make this your major weekly tank cleaning.
Do surface gravel cleanings, without removing anything from the tank every other day or every day if you want.
If you must, add an algae remover for a couple weeks while you get the situation under control.
Always be mindful of your water parameters for your fish, how much you are feeding them and how much light is entering the tank.

I can't image angelfish or discus killing pleco's however.

sean13
12-06-2005, 06:32 AM
thanks for the comments and suggestions.

JMArtist,I dontno if my discus did it but i saw the angelfish attacking the 2nd pleco.I was surpised when I saw them doing that.

Sean

JMArtist
12-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Pleco's are pretty tough fish, they have a plating like skin.
An angelfish might poke at them from time to time, but it couldn't do any real harm.
I had one angelfish once that repeatedly poked my pleco, even thou the pleco was larger then the angelfish.
Then one day I noticed the pleco actually ramming the angelfish on the side...he did it a few times over the course of a week when ever the angelfish would poke at him.
I guess the angelfish didn't like getting rammed like that so it stopped poking the pleco.

pcsb23
12-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Test your water, and your refill water, particularly for Nitrate and Phosphate, if high levels of either, 20ppm Nitrate is high for Discus, 1ppm (I think) for Phosphate then algae will thrive. If your input watre ontains high Nitrate or Phosphate consider using RO water and re-mineralising salts (R/O Right or Sera Mineral salts), also consider using Nitrate/Phosphate removal resins in your filter. As others have said, clean, clean and clen again til its gone.

Algae is usuall a sign of poor water quality, but van sometimes occur in a newly established tank.

As for your plecs... I have heard of them eating small bits of gravel and choking but never of them being killed.

ValorG
12-09-2005, 11:00 PM
if u dont have any plants do a 1 week blackout on the tank, put a blanket around the tank and only turn on the light to feed. all the algae will die after 1 week. water might get cloudy but thats just dead algae, do a water change or just wait, it disipates. after all the algae is gone put ur light on for only 8 hours and put a phosphate remover in ur filter.

sean13
12-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks for suggestions.

Sean