PDA

View Full Version : Need Help... The slime

lexylopez
12-05-2005, 10:11 AM
I made a 100% WC on my diskees today. All of them began goin up and gasp for air... They've been doing it for like 6 hours now. Slime is forming in their months and gills. One small marlboro red died, that is when I got home w/c is just now. I need help please??? I already added some anti chlorine in the tank, and all the usual stuff I do everytime I do water changes...

I added the right amount of anti-chlorine by the time I was filling up the tank with tap water... I used city water to fill up the tank. I lost 3 diskkees now, I only have 7 left. Alpine, brewmaster15,ryan smith, kaceyo thank you so much for your advices. They're kinda doing alright now except that they won't eat anything. ANd there seem to be these little white spots (very minimal) on their fins. I dont really know if its just because of slime or something else... It actually looks like they have fin rot or something. PLease do help me out here guys! Thank you so much!

One more thing though, they seem to really have fin rot... I checked again and it was completely different than before. It looked like it had cuts, but I cant figure out where they got it. I have a 75 gallon BB tank with a sponge and biological overhead box filter. The water looks really white, dunno if its because of slime or something else. Pleassseee do help me on this. Thanks again!

Regards

kaceyo
12-05-2005, 11:02 AM
You can add 2tbs non-iodized salt per 10gal of water to help them deal with the excess slime and stress. Put in an extra airstone or two. Did you do a 100% w/c direct from the tap? If so, don't do more than 50% directly from the tap in the future. It sounds like you forgot to put the dechlor in at first. If you have aged water do a large w/c with it. If not then stick with salt and extra air unless someone comes up with something better. Hope you get it worked out.

Kacey

lexylopez
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Thnaks so much for the advice. I'll do that right now. Two are dying as I write this down. Thanks so much !

Ryan
12-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Does your water have chlorine/chloramine in it? It sounds like something in the water is bad. Do you treat your water when you do water changes?

Ryan

kaceyo
12-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Lexy,
Do you think you may have forgoten the dechlor? It sounds like they started stressing right away, is that right? Or did you notice it later? Or have you made any other canges or additions to the tank? If you can, call your local Water Company and ask if they've cleaned out local waterlines or added new chemicals to your tap water.
Ryan,
Would leaving the dechlor out of a 100% w/c have that much impact?

Kacey

Ryan
12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I guess it really depends on what's in the water supply, and at what concentration. I would think if you did a water change that large without adding a dechlor for any possible chlorine or chloramine that it could severely stress the fish. I know people that add dechlor as they're changing the water (that's what I did when I had city water) and others who let the filters take care of it naturally, but that's with smaller percentages of changes. I've never actually done a 100% change with city water personally, but I can't imagine it'd be good for the fish unless you neutralized or removed the chlorine somehow.

Ryan

brewmaster15
12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi Lexy,
Sounds like you may have suffocated them. In some cases theres so much dissolved gases in the water that 100% wc will basically suffocate the fish. Thats why you saw the bubbles, and the slime peeling away ..(probably Carbon Dioxide)...my guess your tank wall were covered with bubbles and maybe the filter sponges were? if you have hydro type sponges... were they floating?

pH swings may also have been a stressor... whats your pH out of the tap, and then aerated (aged) 24 hours?

I think if you aged your water and aerated it well before using it, you would be okay here ( add dechlor of course) ... but if you are going straight from the tap...its probably best to keep it in the 30-50% range.

hth,
al

alpine
12-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Lexilopez, I do 80% water changes every two days from the Tap . I add the Prime before I start adding the Tap water. My town have cloramines in the water.
Did you forget to add the declorinator before you added the water ? Hope things turn out for the Best ..

roberto.

lexylopez
12-05-2005, 11:28 PM
I added the right amount of anti-chlorine by the time I was filling up the tank with tap water... I used city water to fill up the tank. I lost 3 diskkees now, I only have 7 left. Alpine, brewmaster15,ryan smith, kaceyo thank you so much for your advices. They're kinda doing alright now except that they won't eat anything. ANd there seem to be these little white spots (very minimal) on their fins. I dont really know if its just because of slime or something else... It actually looks like they have fin rot or something. PLease do help me out here guys! Thank you so much!

:( :( :(
Regards

lexylopez
12-05-2005, 11:28 PM

:( :( :(
Regards

lexylopez
12-06-2005, 07:10 AM
One more thing though, they seem to really have fin rot... I checked again and it was completely different than before. It looked like it had cuts, but I cant figure out where they got it. I have a 75 gallon BB tank with a sponge and biological overhead box filter. The water looks really white, dunno if its because of slime or something else. Pleassseee do help me on this. Thanks again! :( :( :( :( :fish:

kaceyo
12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
There may be alot of slime built up in the water or a bacterial bloom from the excess nutrients caused by the slime. I'd continue with the salt (make sure it's non-iodized) and do two or three smaller w/c (30% to 40%) a day to get the slime out. Clean the mechanical filter frequently and wipe the inside glass of the tank down 10 min before each w/c. This will help clean out the cloudy water faster. As far as the cuts I dn't know. Could be the gasses from the unaged tap water got under the skin and caused damage as they expanded and broke the skin. For now get the water cleared up and then see how the fish are doing.

Kacey