PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: purchasing separately or all at once

anne
12-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I've been looking to buy my first discus.
Tank is 80gallons, pH 6.4, will keep cardinal tetra and cordydora with a group of 6 discus (eventually). Am intending to have a thin layer of aquarium sand on the base, and vacuum this daily. I'm intending to have a further twice-weekly 25% water change.
Becuase I don't want a bare bottomed tank, I'm better off gettting slightly larger discus (is that right?) of min. 3 inches. Does it all sound OK so far?
The breeder I spoke to recommended starting out with only one or two cheaper discus, in case I have any problems - his rationalle being that it's better to lose one or two cheap discus than 6 expensive ones. Then add further fish after a couple of months. This sounds sensible, but is different to everyrthing else I've read - what does anyone here think of that advice?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Anonapersona
12-05-2005, 11:22 AM
The breeder I spoke to recommended starting out with only one or two cheaper discus, in case I have any problems - his rationalle being that it's better to lose one or two cheap discus than 6 expensive ones.

One or two discus is a problem, they will beat each other up. Cheap discus are usually badly formed, this won't get better with age. Or they are ill and may contaminate the tank.

Much better to get 6 younger discus all at the same time. Or get babies and spend the time and effort to grow larger. This is more work, but you can buy extras and if a few die or turn out not beautiful you can get rid of them and end up with the right number of beautiful fish.

anne
12-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your advice. In fairness to the guy, the fish he suggested were 2 pigeon bloods which apparantly have a lot of peppering on them, so they're not ill or anything. Just ugly!
Could I put 6 or 7 smaller discus, say 1 to 2" in the tank?

Ryan
12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
If this is your first time with discus, I wouldn't get juveniles smaller than 2". I would go somewhere in the 2.5 - 3" range. Purchase a minimum of 6 to keep the pecking order stable and minimize the possibility of too much aggression being put on one fish.

If your water is stable and you are successfully keeping other types of fish, I don't think you'll have any problems. Just make sure to monitor your water quality so that you know if you're doing adequate water changes.

Make sure your tank is cycled well before adding them. Six discus is a pretty large bioload so you'll need well-established biological filtration. Discus are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite so you don't want that to spike and stress your fish out. That could lead to bigger problems and might make your first discus experience a bad one.

Ryan

Elcid
12-05-2005, 01:05 PM
You have a nice size tank, but how are you setup to change water? Be prepared to change atleast 25% of the water daily for the 1st month! It's not a good idea to get other fish with discus to start. Since you are getting fish from some local breeder is he able to provide you with a fully cycled sponge filter? Either that or you can get some biospira to seed you tank when you get your fish. Don't add sand and decorations until you fish are well settled and your tank properly stabilized. It a lot easier to treat your fish, clean the tank and dose meds without all this stuff. At that point you can add sand, decorations, and aother fish that have been QT'd and treated in another tank.

Alight
12-05-2005, 01:19 PM
The above posts are correct. Six Discus, at least 2.5 inches, and at least 25% water change each day--measure ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily for at least 2 months. Keep ammonia an nitrites at zero, and nirates under 10, preferably under 5ppm.

Why do you want sand/gravel? Unless you are using either live or plastic plants, what's the point?

Go bare bottom with the smaller Discus (I'd get 8) for 6 months, and then you can decide whether to go the planted, or decorated tank route..

By then, you'll have an idea of what kind of water changes and cleaning routines you'll have to have to keep the tank pristine, and you'll realize how much work it will be if you add gravel, decorations and plants.

The tank may be ugly for a few months (and the Discus won't be spectacular until they're 4 inches or so) but the wait will be worth it.

RyanH
12-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi Anne,

All of the advice you've been given is solid advice.

I'd also recommend starting with a group of 6-8 good quality Discus from a reputable breeder. Keep your tank barebottom for the first 6-9 months at least until you've gained a solid understanding of how to properly care for them.

The two secrets to keeping Discus:

1. Patience!!
2. Clean water!!

People only fail when they lose sight of one or both of these. It's that simple. :)

-Ryan

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2005, 05:14 PM
The advice you've been given is right on the money :)

alainpascal
12-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Good afternoon all,

Ok I am also getting closer to introducing discus, my tank is 90g and I plan to have 6 discus, a small school red tetras maybe, and some Amano shrimps as cleaners. this is for a planted tank low tech.

I do not understand how I could first introduce the discus to a BB tank and than plant it???

Isn't it better to plant the tank add the school of fish leave that maturing for a month or two than add 6 discus of about 3"?
I believe also that 6 discus and a school of small fish is a rather light bio load so that should help. no?

Set up: 90g/ eihem Pro II / inline 300w heater /aqualight 4x65w.
Spare (and also for sale) fluval 303.
Currently building a custom tank stand.

tanks.. euh I ment Thanks ;-)

Alain

Willie
12-11-2005, 09:16 PM
I do not understand how I could first introduce the discus to a BB tank and than plant it???
Alain

You got it. None of the experienced aquarists here are suggesting you go with a planted tank to start. There is no good way to do it.

Willie

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Juvenile discus do best in a bare tank.

Kindredspirit
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
....and then some do not listen and come back with ill fish.....then, they are like scooping out that gravel like crazy! There can be so much crap in all your gravel/sand...and you may think you will keep up with daily wc and vacuuming...but sometimes we all slack off~

Go BB, at first....I put plastic plants, or some aquarium ornaments to take that dull look out~

BB is really best for them and that is what it should be all about!

Having said that: I really want white sand and shells some day!

hth

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_109.gif

justafishguy
12-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Marie,
If you live in Cali you can get all the sand and shells at the beach without having it in your tanks:).

Or just go reef tank and discover some more fun stuff.

Kindredspirit
12-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Just~

oKay... and your point is????? lol!! I have always wanted to make a tank with really white sand and cool shells, with one green plant...

Would that not look very cool? I love the ocean and can not live far from one...It gives me a peace I can not find anywhere else~

Plus that, I heard that sand is much better and easier to maintain than gravel, cuz all the funky stuff doesnt seep into it, only on top~

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_106.gif

justafishguy
12-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Thats a very true point. I believe it is easier because the poo doesnt fall in. I also read in a book that sand is good subtrate for discus because they like to blow food off the bottom.

The only problem I have had is keeping white sand white...it may sound stupid, but algea always grows on it and then you have to stir it up. Yet, even then some of the color stays on the sand grains. I dont think plecos will eat algea off sand either. I had snails that helped a little.

Mack
12-13-2005, 02:34 AM
Bare bottom is best along with some glass Christmas ornaments, right Willie?!?!?!