PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between...

kaceyo
12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Oxytetracyclin and tetracyclin? Is there a dif? I want to have a good selection of antibiotics on hand and want to include one or the other. So far I only have Furan 2. Any suggestions as to which compliment each other in covering the widest variety of diseases would aso be helpful.
Thanx,

Kacey

Discusgeo2
12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride

USE: Gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Marine ulcer disease, cold water disease, bacterial hemmorrhagic septicemia and mouth fungus.

DOSAGE: 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons every 24 hours with a 50% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days. 250 grams (treats 4000 gal.) Or, if mixed into feed, 2 teaspoons per pound. Feed for 14 - 21 days. If your pH is 8.0 or above, it is suggested to use this medication in the feed.

Tetracycline Hydrochloride

USE: Treatment of bacterial infections, both gram-positive and gram-negative.

DOSAGE: 1 capsule per 20 gallons of water. Every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment.

DOSAGE: 1/4 teaspoonful per 20 gallons every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. 250 grams (treats approx. 4000 gal.) This product will not work in water with a pH above 7.5

kaceyo
12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi George,
Thanks for the info. Is there a reason to use one over the other assuming the pH is below 7.5?
So far they sound the same except the "oxy" will work at a higher pH.

Kacey

brewmaster15
12-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi kacey,
On the differences.. they are the same class of drugs....but

The tetracycline is useful for external bacterial issues.. it is not absorbed from the water thru the gills well... and it is not absorbed well if mixed in food. High calcium levels in the water may affect it.

Oxytetracycline is absorbed by the gills and is also absorbed by the gut when dosed in food. Its a good choice for internal infections..

Both meds will react with light..The water turns a brownish color.. and they can irritate the fish and make them jumpy. The meds are relatively cheap and have been used commonly for so long that many strains of bacteria may have some resistence.

hth,
al

ps.. thanks George..good dosing info.

kaceyo
12-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks Al,
I had noticed a couple of the more experienced breeders here advise oxytetracycline as a good first choice when antibiotics are needed. Would you agree or has there effectivness become too limited?

Kacey

kaceyo
12-06-2005, 06:23 AM
Thanks Al,
I know you can only answere in very general terms but this is very useful info. When reading about meds and diseases you can't make the specific comparisons or seperate what's practical to me. Can you give me an idea of the things that would point to it being internal rather than external? Obviously if they are flashing or rubbing against objects or have visible symptoms on the skin it's external. Would not eating be a sign of internal problems if there are no other symptoms?

Kacey

brewmaster15
12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi kacey,
This is just my opinion and experience, and honestly alot depends on the information I am told by someone or see first hand..

If its an external bacterial problem... I lean towards using Furan 2 as it contains 2 antibiotics...nitrofurozone and furazlidone... Plus meth blue. Generally , When you have 2 antibiotics that work synergistically as these do, theres less chance that the bacteria you are dealing with will be resistent to both and the effects of the meds are sometimes strengthened..this is why co-therapies like this are used in human medicine in many cases.

If internal..I think oxytetracycline is a good choice in many cases... but then so is kanamycin sulfate, erythromycin and even Metro.:)

In reality theres a lot of overlap in what works..and what works best is only a guess without a lab test to determine bacterial susceptibility to a particular med and resistence.

hth,
al