PDA

View Full Version : Eggs! ***??

QiKsilver
12-06-2005, 07:05 PM
To my great surprise my discus laid eggs today. On a round black rock at the bottom of the tank in their hiding spot.

They are all brown, no whites yet.

Ph is 7.6 stable.
Temp is 86F.

Nitrates under under 5ppm.

Any chance that these eventually hatch

The parents are alone in this tank, i have no idea whetther or not they are really a couple. They are always watching over the eggs, they come out for feeding one at a time and they are cleaning the eggs now and then.

CAGE-RATTLER
12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
since the eggs are dark ............. thats a good sign.

Since they are alone in there ..... i guess you'll find out soon enough if they are definately a pair.

Good luck

Alight
12-07-2005, 12:44 AM
If your GH is under 5, and your male was fertile, you'll know in about 40 hours, as if they are going to hatch, they will definitely be darker by then (some say 24 hours, but sometimes, I can't tell their dark until 40 or so hours). If they are fertile, they'll hatch in about 50 - 54 hours.

QiKsilver
12-07-2005, 06:24 AM
No GH is over 9 last time i checked but eck i'll retest it just to be sure. If hardness is too hard the eggs can suffocate or the sperm cannot make it... mmm we'll see i guess!

Thanks! I'll keep u posted..

QiKsilver
12-07-2005, 07:40 AM
GH is 7.84... Not good... eggs are still brown tho... thinking about gettin an RO......

Alight
12-07-2005, 01:53 PM
They won't hatch at that GH. Get the RO unit if you want to have babies. They will start to fungus at 24 - 48 hours, and all will be fungused at 72.

QiKsilver
12-07-2005, 02:30 PM
I am worrying for the parents. Watching the eggs seems to be putting a stress on them. They are not fully established and eating like crazy yet. I would have preferred that they hold on for a few months before starting with the eggs. Opinions?

RyanH
12-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Reproduction takes alot out of them. If I'm not happy with the size or health of my fish, I don't let them spawn, I separate them.

I have a group of Cobalts right now that I'm trying to put some more size on and all they want to do is get it on. I have to continually move them around to keep them from spawning. I'll let them go to town in a few months when they've reached their size potential.

-Ryan

Timbo
12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I have to continually move them around to keep them from spawning.

nice problem to have! have you tried saltpeter? :)
if they are catholic, the rhythm method is the only one approved by the pope. I'm down to my last dozen of discus condoms, otherwise i'd shoot ya over some

hey...i bet if you stuck a pic of Rosie O'Donnell on the glass facing inwards, they would never breed again

your welcome

Carol_Roberts
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
You could get a small hatch at GH 8. Male may be too young yet. . . .

RyanH
12-07-2005, 05:53 PM
nice problem to have! have you tried saltpeter? :)
if they are catholic, the rhythm method is the only one approved by the pope. I'm down to my last dozen of discus condoms, otherwise i'd shoot ya over some

hey...i bet if you stuck a pic of Rosie O'Donnell on the glass facing inwards, they would never breed again

your welcome

LMAO!! :D :D :D

I was thinking about using this pic of Phyllis Diller but you might be on to something with the Rosie pic. :D

QiKsilver
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
This should help.... http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/ronj_mario.jpg

Timbo
12-08-2005, 04:09 PM
^hehe i know that guy^ Ron Jeremy right?..he looks like Super Mario (from the computer game) dontcha think? Peter North is my hero tho

QiKsilver
12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
You got that right :)