PDA

View Full Version : Just need your comments on an idea.

fish558
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
What do you guys think of no filters at all? No sponges or any type of mechanical device. Just an air stone.
I'm just wondering.

Thanks!

justafishguy
12-07-2005, 11:45 PM
IMO I feel it would not be a very stable condition for the fish and with the water changes it could make it worse bouncing from high to low.

nacra99
12-08-2005, 12:11 AM
What do you guys think of no filters at all? No sponges or any type of mechanical device. Just an air stone.

Hello! Welcome to Simply!

To your question... i'm going to say that unless you do a water change every hour it is not a good idea for discus. The most important function (debatably) of any filter is the biological filtration which is not visible to the naked eye. Fish excrete Ammonia straight up, and without a filter to host the vast quantities of bacteria which "removes" the ammonia, the fish will die of ammonia poisoning real quick. In my experience, even in a sparsely stocked tank, ammonia can reach fatal levels for discus in a mere 2-3 days.

Other fish like bettas and guppies can tolerate a slightly higher level of ammonia, but definitely not a good idea for discus. Especially if you are growing them out.

Cheers
Marc

Bainbridge Mike
12-08-2005, 03:06 AM
I agree with Marc . . . If you do daily water changes you can probably go without mechanical filtration--but you really need biological filtration to address the ammonia--otherwise your ammonia levels bounce around all day between water changes (which is not good for your fish). If you want to develop a continuous flow water system that is constantly flushing new water in and draining the old water, that might work--but would be an awful lot of water. Welcome!

Mike

Tony_S
12-08-2005, 08:20 AM
From what Ive read and been told, alot of breeders in Asia raise fry in this manner (no filtration) But they also do 100% waterchanges a minimum of twice a day....not an option for most because of cost, time etc.

Tony

gators111
12-08-2005, 05:30 PM
IMO it could work. But daily water changes are needed. Sand substrate would be needed to host the nitro bacteria. And the ph would need to be below 6.5. You might want to try this on some culls first, it is risky.

Carol_Roberts
12-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Tony is correct. You need to change 90% of the water once or twice a day (depending on stocking density) to keep ammonia at zero. The change water HAS to be very close in temperature and pH to the tank water or you will have problems. There can be no missing a day due to vacation or illness. This is not very practical for people who work outside the home and have normal, busy lives. I recommend a bare bottom tank with air driven sponges or aqua clear type filters AND big daily water changes.