PDA

View Full Version : Size

zelmo
12-08-2005, 11:39 AM
There is much information regarding the fact that it is easier to keep adults in a planted tank than juveniles due to lower feeding requirements.

Can someone explain the progression of a discus growing from 3” to 5”? Advice is that juveniles need to be fed 4 to 5 times a day, while adults can do with 2. Where in this size range can feedings start to decrease without the risk of stunting the fish? A related question is how long, with low food intake, does it take for them to get stunted? I am asking this second question with regard to vacations. (The keepers, not the fish!)

Ryan_Welch
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
when i get my discus i'm getting an automatic feeder :) .... this way they wil never forget to get fed :lol: :Ooops:i think they generally carry two week's worth of food :)

sorry but i cn't answer the rest :( :P

Carol_Roberts
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I suggest feeding juveniles 3 - 5 times per day until they are a year old. Then you can go down to twice a day. I use automatic feeders and feed most of my fish 4 small meals per day - even adults.

zelmo
12-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Thank you Carol.

I was thinking that size determined juvenile status because of recommendations about the size fish to buy, but I can see how arbitrary that is because of different growth rates. I had read someplace that discus stop growing when they reach sexual maturity. If that is true, are you saying that happens at about the one year mark?