PDA

View Full Version : Should I get this one???

lexylopez
12-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I've actually been planning to buy a Eheim Pro II 2229 external filter or a Eheim Pro III 2080. Its gonna cost a ton so I'm having second thoughts (not to mention it would take my annual allowance as a deal with my mom) I am currently using a overhead biological box type filter, and a sponge filter for my diskees (these are old ones that I used before with my first batch of Diskees when I was fourteen, they're dead now though... My diskees here are my 2nd batch). After my Diskees near death experience (the 2nd batch... am sure you can still read my posts) I wouldn't want to take any more chances!lol laugh.gif I have a 75 gallon tank and I'm planning to order a customized 350 gallon tank as soon as we leave here ( we're just renting... Staying temporarily in Manila PH) I think that it would be very usefull and a lot more practical. Need some opinions. Another thing, I can't quite decide if I should get the EHeim Pro II 2229 or the Eheim Pro III 2080? thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Lexy

Cosmo
12-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Lexy,

I have both, and it would be tuff to say which is better :confused: If I had only one, I think I'd go with the wet/dry though for the improved bio and gas exchange the w/d offers. Be aware though, the Eheim wet/drys pump hard, then hardly at all, then hard, etc.. as the cannister alternately fills and empty. They can be a little finnicky too, hoses have to be exactly the same length and you have to plumb them over the top (no bulkheads).

I didn't vote :o tough choice cause either one is a good choice :)

Jim

pcsb23
12-09-2005, 05:20 AM
Lexy,

Either will do the job, if you get the wet/dry one thoug as previous post said it pumps hard (real hard too!!!) I have one of them. To reduce impact in the tank extend the spray bar either by fitting another one on the end and joing with a bit of hose or fit a bit of hose with holes in it (which is what I've done).

Good luck.

discusdave
12-09-2005, 08:22 AM
I'd get the Eheim Pro III if you are planning to get a 350 gallon tank. The Pro III is rated for tanks that large, I believe. I don't think the other one is. The Pro III probably has flow control so you can throttle it down on the 75 until you get the 350 gallon tank.

Dave

lexylopez
12-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Thank you guys. I think I'll probably get the EHeim 2229... I think it looks a bit more sophisticated than the 2080!lol Plus it has the wet/dry thinggie! Do you guys know how much would it cost the cheapest (Eheim Pro II 2229)? Coz I have a friend who who lives in Houston Texas and he'd be willing to ship it for me for FREE! Yeay! If you have any idea though...the cheapest.... maybe you could tell me. I know its around $149 or more!... Yikes

Regards,
Lexy :angel:

emjhay
12-09-2005, 06:34 PM
mahal!!! hihihi its probly cause you 500USD including tax.. :) but uknow if you can afford a 350 gal.. u can afford the canister.... :) gud luck on ur second batch! c" )

Thank you guys. I think I'll probably get the EHeim 2229... I think it looks a bit more sophisticated than the 2080!lol Plus it has the wet/dry thinggie! Do you guys know how much would it cost the cheapest (Eheim Pro II 2229)? Coz I have a friend who who lives in Houston Texas and he'd be willing to ship it for me for FREE! Yeay! If you have any idea though...the cheapest.... maybe you could tell me. I know its around $149 or more!... Yikes

Regards,

lexylopez
12-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Whoah! Emjhay where did you learn to speak tagalog? Are you FIlipino?lol

tpl*co
09-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Lexy,

Either will do the job, if you get the wet/dry one thoug as previous post said it pumps hard (real hard too!!!) I have one of them. To reduce impact in the tank extend the spray bar either by fitting another one on the end and joing with a bit of hose or fit a bit of hose with holes in it (which is what I've done).

Good luck.

Be aware that the 2229 can take only one of 2 kinds of Eheim's biological media and these biological media only. If you want a filter that takes all kinds of media go for the 2080 (it'll also handle a bigger tank). The 2229 is also finicky on the distance and length of it's hoses.

Check out online both filter's manuals before you decide.

Tina

crazie.eddie
09-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Musta ka Lexy.

Forget the 2229, those are troublesome. You're better off with a 2080.

Dood Lee
09-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Regards,

IMO, if you want a wet/dry, get a real one, and don't bother with the canister. Why spend $$$ on the eheim 2229 when a regular wet dry will perform even better for the around the same price? Otherwise, the PRO III is the way to go for large tanks. Or, an alternative would be to purchase an eheim classic 2260, since it actually has a larger media capacity than the ProIII. The classic 2260 only lacks an integrated priming mechanism and media baskets. Otherwise, it's superior to the ProIII in every other aspect.