PDA

View Full Version : playsand

emjhay
12-09-2005, 03:58 AM
sry for this post but u guys know where to buy playsand b/c i want to put it im my discus tank...

nacra99
12-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Home Depot

jim_shedden
12-09-2005, 08:58 AM
ditto:)

gators111
12-09-2005, 11:26 AM
You might want to try pool filter sand at home depot, instead. It is a little courser, so it doesn't get vacuumed out of the tank as easy. But alot of it depends on the area of the country you're buying in. In florida, the playground sand is really fine.

brewmaster15
12-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd go with the pool filter sand as well... The 100% silica .( rinse well..out doors and do not breath dust..... you can get it natural colored...its inert and works well.

.... be careful with the play sand... The trend here in CT is to use a Tropical Play sand in the sand boxes..I think its because it looks cleaner or maybe there less a chance of kids getting Silica dust in their lungs (think asbestos)
This Tropical play sand is white and made from calcareous , oolitic ,limestone substrate..basically its a very fine crushed coral and will definetly bring the pH way up. If you use play sand...test it with vinegar first..if it foams or bubbles...its calcareous , oolitic ,limestone substrate and should be avoided!

hth,
al