PDA

View Full Version : new breeding tank

cobaltblue
12-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Ive converted a 25g tall communtiy tank to a breeding tank for a newly formed pair. The thank has two hydro sponges in it and a fluval 304 from the old system on it. Should i remove the fluval altogether and just use the two sponge filters? or is it fine to keep the fluval operating. Will fry get sucked up the intake? I do have a prefilter sponge over the intake.

Organic Farmer
12-11-2005, 07:56 PM
difenently get rid of the fluval for the time being the sponges will do just fine

Alight
12-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Probably more than enough with the sponges. I put oxygen plus sponges over the intakes of all my HOB filters. I punch a bunch of holes in the intake tube, all the way up, and cover all of the tube with sponges.

This way, my whisper and AC HOB filters don't get much dirt in them, I have extra biofiltration that can be move to whatever tank I want, and the flow into the filter is spread over a large surface area, so even them smallest fry don't get sucked into the sponge.

Greg Richardson
12-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I think one sponge is plenty for 25 breeding tank.

Jason
12-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Keep an eye on the ph if you have really soft water live others in the Van area.

if your doing lesser w/c's on this pair the ph may plummet, alot of bio-filtration seems to help keep the ph from bottoming out.

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
The fry will get sucked up against the prefilter and die