PDA

View Full Version : A Discus Disaster

DiscusCavallero
12-19-2005, 06:04 AM
I been into fish since i was a young boy and saw in the paper that a man was selling turquiose and piegeon blood discus for 5-10 dollars depending on size. I had read up on discus and knew enough to start. So I bought about 7 and he gave me 9, 5 turks and 4 pigeons. I had also bought off 2 ebo jager heaters and a 20 gal and 50 gal tank. So i started the fish in the 20 and changed the water every day, using filtered water(never do that). Its very hard to change the water using the big 5 gal jugs, but i did it cause i was given some very good quality fish which were already showing some color at 2in. So one day after changing my water i saw that my pleco in the tank was dead. I went to check out the tank and saw the discus breathing hard, touched the water it was steaming. The heater had stuck. I was able to save 2 turks and 1 pigeon. Later bought an orange one from the pet shop but was hardened and sadened by the expirence. Now my brother (trusty) has taken over. I was the one who got him into the discus and he is doing fine taking care of his own while im off at college.

Alan
12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Welcome to Wal-Mart! I mean Simply Discus! I'll be your greeter for the moment. It seems everyone's in holiday mode already trying to buy Christmas presents and doing their last minute errands.

Mack
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Hopefully your brother has better luck! Perhaps "cooking" them was more humane... 9 discus in a 20 gallon tank (even with daily water changes) is way too many IMO, and the fish would have perished eventually. I assume the heaters were used, which I have found is a also a bad idea unless you have time to try them in an empty tank for about a week. Discus keeping is a sport that you only get better at with practice. Don't be discouraged!
Joe

White Worm
12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey Mack,,,,,I think he said 9 fish total. I'm sure they were small but still kinda alot for a 20g. I just didnt understand the point behind the thread. I guess I didnt know how to respond,,,,but,,,,welcome to simply anyway.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_124.gif

candyl70
12-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Welcome to Simply!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_39.gif
Sorry to hear about your heater! But Joe is right, don't be discouraged. I have made some huge mistakes, one's that i should have known better. But it's a learning process, and the longer you keep at it the better you get. I now have 8 babies that are doing really good, but my first one's weren't as lucky. Anyhow.. good to have you aboard!! Hope to see ya around!!!

Candy