PDA

View Full Version : Removing Gravel!!!!!!

chago09
12-19-2005, 04:04 PM
OK I removed that gravel. Now I have red dust everywhere. The bottom of my tank is covered and its floating all around in my water. I threw in some conditioner and water clarifier to clean it up a bit. There is so much of this muck its not even funny. I threw all the red rocks in the trash and bought a 5 pound bad of white gravel just so I have something on the bottom. It's not even enough to cover the whole tank that will be ok right??? how do I get rid of this red ****??? it's everywhere and it seems to be sitting on the bottom rather then going up into filter. My plants are in pots now and are all covered with red dust?? it looks like a volcano erupted and theres ash everywhere??? will this kill my fish cause there all in there???? Should I just wait????

White Worm
12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
I put my fish in a bucket or big bowl when I take out the gravel just so they didnt have to suck up all that crap. Once it settles, vacuum it out and clean everything off. I took everything out of the tank when I did it..

See,,,,there was alot of crap that you didnt get when vacuuming gravel,,Huh?? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_202.gif

If you take them out, make sure you use tank water and airstone and heater in the bucket

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_33_3.gif

chago09
12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
i try vaccuuming it and it's still not really cooperating. It kinda mixes around again and settles down again later. Well i guess it will just take a few vaccumes to clean the tank. As long as it won't bother the fish cause there back in there now. I cleaned as much as I could in a few hours I'l clean more. I'll just keep going untill I catch all of it. Also I put a 5 pound bag of white gravel. It doesn't even cover the surface of the tank. Is that OK? cause its seriously really really little and I didnt think that it would make a big deal. I just can't look at the bare bottom LOL.

Carol_Roberts
12-19-2005, 05:12 PM
No, it is not healthy for the fish to be swimming in gunk. That's why I recommend removing ALL the water from the tank and wiping the inside down with a godd quality white paper towel. Rinse the plants under the faucet. I do not recommend ANY gravel right now.

White Worm
12-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey Chago,,,,,you have to ask yourself,,,,would you like to be sitting in a room filled with smoke??? Kinda the same thing for the discus in a tank of red dust. Could lead to further problems. You could put them in a holding tank until you got this one under control and cleaned.

candyl70
12-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I would take Carol's advice and Mike's advice and take the fish out of the tank and into a bucket. Get ALL the water out then scoop out the rocks. Then wipe everything down. If you need to, add a little water, then siphon it out and wipe everything down again.

Good luck!!
Candyhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_107v.gif

White Worm
12-19-2005, 05:31 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_218.gif

YOU CAN DO IT CHAGO!!

Carol_Roberts
12-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Use a big bucket or clean trash can. Make sure the bucket has air and stays above 80F. After cleaning the tank refill with warm water, add dechlor, check pH. You may need to run the filter for an hour or so before adding the discus back to off gas CO2 and stabilize pH..

pcsb23
12-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Chago, Carol's right, if you have to leave the fish in there get a filter with loads of floss/filter wool in it and run teh water through that, it will help some, keep air going in just in case though. Good luck. Paul.

chago09
12-19-2005, 06:01 PM
well I just saw this posts now and now I think its fine. All the gunk is on the floor and I'm gonna go in and try vaccuuming more out. The plants do need a wash though. The fish seem to be fine just scared thats for sure. But I threw some food in and they came out and picked at it so I think there good. theres no more gunk floating around at all, the filter did a good sucking a lot out and the rest fell to the floor. I do need to clean off the plants and my wood cause they are covered in red crap. I think were ok and thank you guys.
YOU CAN DO IT LOL