PDA

View Full Version : Sensitivity to color?

zelmo
12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
I have ten discus (4") in a 150g planted tank. After 2 weeks they are fairly acclimated in that they swim around and eat, and they generally don't dart and hide when someone approaches the tank until the top is lifted.

That changes, though, when someone wearing red enters the room. They spook immediately. I have a computer in the room and last weekend I spent an entire day working. I was wearing a red shirt. If I was sitting still (about 10 feet away) they would venture out since they couldn't see me, but if I got up they would hide.

It isn't just me; it happens if anyone is wearing red! Are discus sensitive to red?

JMArtist
12-22-2005, 06:13 PM
I just grabbed a red shirt and passed it front of my Discus tank...they all came to the top looking for food as always.
Your's are probably still getting used to movement outside the tank.
I could be wrong, mine might be color blind...actually, I'm not even sure if they see color...now I gotta go look that up...

Timbo
12-22-2005, 06:15 PM
save ya the trip to google - yes they do see in color :)

JMArtist
12-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Too late Timbo...I looked it up, yup they do see color, they have both rods and cones for color vision, so fish can see color in varying degrees.
Thanks!

candyl70
12-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey JM,
Did it say anything about discus being more sensitve to certain colors?
I have never noticed my fish being sensitive to red or any other colors. It does seem more likely that they are just getting used to their new surrondings.

Candy

JMArtist
12-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey JM,
Did it say anything about discus being more sensitve to certain colors?
I have never noticed my fish being sensitive to red or any other colors. It does seem more likely that they are just getting used to their new surrondings.
Candy

The article was about fish in general.
I just read up to the part that they have rod and cones and that they do rely on their eye site for survival. The article did seem to indicate that they do not see all colors, but like I said, I did not read the rest of it.
As far as being more sensitive to a particular color, no, I did not read that.
But I would assume they would react to color for mating purposes much like birds and their plumage, and certain men with tattoos and women with big hair styles.
They probably also associate certain types of food with certain colors and shapes. But then again, they do nibble on then spit out poop....I guess they have good taste buds...so much for their sense of smell, which is supposed to be very good, but if you can't tell the differences between the smell of poop and food...well, that's another thread.
Zelmo said his fish were in the tank for only two weeks, they probably need more time to get use to their surroundings.
Mine got use to me first, if they actually recognize me or not I don't know, but they would hide when another person came into the room.
Now, months later no matter who walks into the room, they all rush to the top looking for food. Mmm, it's always about food for them.
As far as reacting to the color red, when I waved the red shirt in front of the tank, they just all rushed to the top...I almost wanted to say O-Lay...it was a Bullfighter moment...
So I don't think color affects them. If it did, there wouldn't be any Red Marlboro discus around.
So I would say it's just the fish getting use to their new surrounding.

zelmo
12-23-2005, 08:04 PM
As far as reacting to the color red, when I waved the red shirt in front of the tank, they just all rushed to the top...I almost wanted to say O-Lay...it was a Bullfighter moment...
So I don't think color affects them. If it did, there wouldn't be any Red Marlboro discus around.
So I would say it's just the fish getting use to their new surrounding.

Well, do they rush to the top if you are waving a different color? :D

I agree that mine are still getting used to the tank. Maybe the red is just more noticable against the background of my room, so they react to it. I guess if I had on something else that was a big contrast I would get a similiar reaction.