PDA

View Full Version : what will fry look like?

discus2010
12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
i am thinking about getting 7 juvies from gld and am very hopeful of later on being able to breed. i am going to get 7 and see how they pair off
i am getting one of each of theses:
Candy apple red turquoise
Blue Heaven
Red Rio Pura
Gold Diamond
Violet reflection
Tangerines
Pigeon bloods snakeskin
and was wondering if an expert could tell me what the possible color/pattern outcomes would be if they (crossed) breed like these
???????????

goheel
12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
there are so many possibilities.;)

Ryan
12-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi,

Have you talked to Cary? I'm not sure if he's currently selling. The last I heard he was taking a break. Also, you might want to get his permission to use that picture in your avatar. Just a suggestion.

Ryan

JMArtist
12-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Well, you listed a whole range of different fish in colors and patterns.
Any combination of color and pattern would depend on which fish pair off together, so at his point the sky's the limit.
I would first time around stay with a type I liked, for exsample Gold Diamond's only, and breed them first, this way you'll know what your going to get, and you'll have the parents to compare them to.
As it stands now, with any of those crosses, you might end up with a fish that look's like Walt Disney throw up...not that there's anything wrong with that....you just might need a hit of acid to look at them.:cool:
Just kidding, but I hope you get the picture.:thumbsup:

Timbo
12-22-2005, 08:06 PM
7 diff types 49 diff combinations (7 squared)

if you go and buy a group like that, you'll have zero control on the matchups and what the fry will look like

pick a type or two that you like; get 7 the same or get 4 and 3 of each...then it will be more possible to determine an outcome for you

discus2010
12-23-2005, 12:41 PM
But that makes everything so hard! narrowing them down to only seven! I am going have really a hard time too only get two different species. Especially since i want it to have different color options and a variety (that was my second goal) but if its necessary to be able to have controllable and nice fry I think I'm going to have to. I am going to see if I can talk to cary to see what his knowledge on these possible outcomes of fry . Any one has any useful information. :(

Timbo
12-23-2005, 01:03 PM
guess it all depends on what you want most thats all:); 7 (<--thats the # you chose i think, but it could be any number above 6, they do better in groups) different looking discus in your display that may pair up, but randomly...and you COULD get a very handsome mix too! ya never know
fun eh:)

discus2010
12-23-2005, 03:05 PM
i guess so it depends ill also see which ones are cheeper because they can get pretty costly and that effects my decision because im low on bling! lol

Carol_Roberts
12-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Ask Cary what he has available at this time. I would go with either all pigeon based (last two) or all non-pigeon based (first 5). You are better off to get fish of the same age and size.

Condor
12-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Ask Cary what he has available at this time. I would go with either all pigeon based (last two) or all non-pigeon based (first 5). You are better off to get fish of the same age and size.

How come all one or the other? What happens when you breed a non pigeon with a pigeon? Lots of peppering?

Carol_Roberts
12-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Yep, lots of pepper

Condor
12-24-2005, 07:48 PM
How about a wild type with a pb?

discus2010
12-26-2005, 10:05 AM
ok im taking your advice im getting rid of the pigons im still trying to cut down on species Would 3 work

amazing aquatics
12-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Cary is currently taking a break from selling Discus. I was at his house on Thursday and he is working on a few things but he does not have any of the discus you posted you wanted. You might want to call first when you think you are ready to see what he has.

discus2010
12-26-2005, 08:20 PM
yes ill have to survive i'm going to setup a "fish room (wall)" so that i can have all my tanks together and more! so i wont be able to work on this for a while then ill be able to get them

p.s. a tangerine is a snake skin?

discus2010
12-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Since cary is taking a "break from discus"
i am going to get a
4 red turquoise
4 german cobalt

from discus kc

or
3 brilliant turquoise
3 red turquoise
2 cobalt's

from stendker ( where could i get these?):confused:

Timbo
12-27-2005, 08:49 AM
from stendker ( where could i get these?):confused:

http://www.discus-hans-usa.com/

discus2010
12-27-2005, 09:58 AM
yes but i was looking to get them online.
What would the fry look like if either a red turquiose and a mandarin passion or a cobalt with a red turq or madarin passion?

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Manarin passion and tangerine are all pigeon based. I would not breed them with the turks and cobalts. However, I would grow them out together - they look very pretty in a tank together (orange and blue)

discus2010
12-27-2005, 06:00 PM
hello i have yet again changed my path and have decided to get blue turquoise from Dan at gulf coat at 2.5 in and am hoping to find some blue cobalt's from him too. what would a cobalt with a blue turquoise look like if its a turquoise or a cobalt there is no point in getting the cobalts right?

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Striations are the horizontal stripe pattern on the discus body. Turquoise discus are heavily striated. Cobalts have few if any striations on the body. A cross would produce discus with intermediated amounts of striation. Have you read my article on discus classification at www.discusnada.org ?

discus2010
12-28-2005, 09:49 AM
No but i just did so according to what i understand...
a blue diamond and a turquoise blue would produce a turquoise blue since the blue diamond gene is recessive?

goheel
12-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I think if you cross a blue diamond with anything other than a blue diamond, you would get the other strain you crossed it with, since blue diamond gene is recessive.

Ryan
12-28-2005, 12:50 PM
I think the first thing you should do is concentrate on learning to keep discus successfully and worry about breeding later. If you buy young fish, you have 8 - 12 months (maybe more) before you will really see any breeding activity anyway.

My advice is to get a group of fish that you enjoy the looks of, and spend your time raising them out to adult size and learning as much as you can about their care and their needs. After all, you won't be able to raise baby discus without experience.

Ryan

Timbo
12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
yes but i was looking to get them online.

did you even check out the site? there's tons of links there to buy them online...there's even 3 in ohio where you are

but...pay attention to what ryan smith said^^, thats good advice

discus2010
12-28-2005, 06:30 PM
yes but if im going to get them i might as well hope for the best and i only wanted to see if they could end up being a known strain

Ryan
12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
By "known strain", do you mean discus that breed true and produce 100% of one type of discus? There are VERY few strains that do that. It's not like angelfish where you can cross Fish A with Fish B and get Fish C. Discus genetics are more complicated.

In most discus spawns you will have a variety of young, whether it be differences in patterning, color, or you may have some fry that are completely different in general than their siblings.

Ryan

discus2010
12-28-2005, 11:49 PM
that was helpful i should have looked up for more information before asking sorry its my mistake

Ryan
12-28-2005, 11:55 PM
No problem, that's why we're here :)

Ryan

discus2010
12-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Thankfully you guys ARE here because i would be a total failure at discus without you. I've decided just to get 6 blue turquoise from Dan at gulf coast discus since there @ $10 each! :fish: :fish: :fish: :bounce: :bounce:
I'm going to get them the first of the new year

SO how does that sound?