PDA

View Full Version : First time discus eggs

redchecker
12-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Alright discus guys and gals,
I bought a few fish from Frank at Gold mountain Discus and he said he thought he got me a male and a female and boy was he right. Yesterday I find eggs on an Amazon sword. Today I still have eggs and they are a red color. No white eggs at all. Is this the right color? I have 4 other discus in the 55gl tank should I move them to my 38gl?

CAGE-RATTLER
12-24-2005, 02:05 AM
wow .......... some guys have all the luck ;)

Yes .... the dark color is a sign of fertilized eggs.

Theres a number of things you could do.

1. Just let nature take its course and see what happens.

By doing that the eggs may get eaten by the other discus or even eaten by the parents if they feel the eggs are being threatened. Taking the chance of others eating the eggs will teach the parents to defend the eggs and help them be better parents in the future.

2. Remove the other fish and see how the parents do on they're own.

They may still eat the eggs themselves and it sometimes takes several spawns for them to get the hang of it.

3. You could also just use a devider to keep the others away from the eggs.

Now i havent done any breeding myself but this is all info that ive absorbed since frequenting this site. It's amazing how much ive learned here in just a couple months .... lol.

Im sure you'll have more experienced breeders chiming in soon with better advice & letting me know if i got anything wrong so wait before making your decision.

By the way ...... congrats ............ you've got christmas discus babies onthe way!

CAGE-RATTLER
12-24-2005, 02:07 AM
Also you give us all the info you can on your tank setup.

With future fry on the way ................ you may need to make some changes in filtration and water parameters.

redchecker
12-24-2005, 01:47 PM
this is a very busy x-mas for me. My black lab just had a litter of 7 pups on the 15th and now this. I awoke this morning to find 5 white eggs and the female has already removed them. I took out two of the discus in the tank and put them in the 38gl. It seems that the parents accept the boundaries of the cobalt blue and the blue turquoise who appear to be a pair also. These 4 fish I got from Gold mountain and 2 pairs from them. So I took out the other 2 orange scorpions and the tank seems more peaceful so far this morning. When the female (cobalt blue) crosses the imaginery line it is more accepted but if the male(turquoise blue) comes across the defending begins. I'll keep this updated.
Now I have a 55gl 4 discus as mentioned above, 2 cory catfish(1 inch each),with 5 amazon swords, another sword of some kind, a piece of slate, and 2 pieces of driftwood. Also gravel on the bottom. I know alot of people said no gravel but I can't take it out now.

ahmad
12-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Hi CAGE-RATTLER

First congrats for redchecker.

I have same case but with 10 cory fish and 31 algae eater.
There is any problem for the other fish cory and algae eater??

Thanks

Ahmad

wow .......... some guys have all the luck ;)

Yes .... the dark color is a sign of fertilized eggs.

Theres a number of things you could do.

1. Just let nature take its course and see what happens.

By doing that the eggs may get eaten by the other discus or even eaten by the parents if they feel the eggs are being threatened. Taking the chance of others eating the eggs will teach the parents to defend the eggs and help them be better parents in the future.

2. Remove the other fish and see how the parents do on they're own.

They may still eat the eggs themselves and it sometimes takes several spawns for them to get the hang of it.

3. You could also just use a devider to keep the others away from the eggs.

Now i havent done any breeding myself but this is all info that ive absorbed since frequenting this site. It's amazing how much ive learned here in just a couple months .... lol.

Im sure you'll have more experienced breeders chiming in soon with better advice & letting me know if i got anything wrong so wait before making your decision.

By the way ...... congrats ............ you've got christmas discus babies onthe way!

White Worm
12-25-2005, 06:14 AM
I believe scavengers will make a dinner of discus eggs so when you are ready to breed and you feel the pair is ready, move them to a breeder tank, maybe 20g / 29g (lowering water level in the tank to half helps fry find the parents easier) and they will probably bring XMAS fry. I would let them practice for a while first if they are new and young. It takes sometimes up to 15-20 times before you actually have free swimmers. I have a pair right now who are making their practice runs but they have a 85g all to themselves to practice in as a new couple. I dont even know yet if there is a boy and girl yet. Sometimes 2 females will pair. Redish-brown is sign of fertilzed eggs so congrats. Once this pair gets it right, I will move them to a smaller breeding tank, Good luck and keep us informed. Mike

ahmad
12-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Hi Mike

Thank you for your advice.

I am trying this method before but when i move the baby to anothr tank the parents start to eat the frys. Maybe bec The parents are very scared.

Ahmad

I believe scavengers will make a dinner of discus eggs so when you are ready to breed and you feel the pair is ready, move them to a breeder tank, maybe 20g / 29g (lowering water level in the tank to half helps fry find the parents easier) and they will probably bring XMAS fry. I would let them practice for a while first if they are new and young. It takes sometimes up to 15-20 times before you actually have free swimmers. I have a pair right now who are making their practice runs but they have a 85g all to themselves to practice in as a new couple. I dont even know yet if there is a boy and girl yet. Sometimes 2 females will pair. Redish-brown is sign of fertilzed eggs so congrats. Once this pair gets it right, I will move them to a smaller breeding tank, Good luck and keep us informed. Mike

White Worm
12-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Hey Ahmad, after you move the pair, they may need some time to get used to their new surroundings. Try keeping their tank up high, above your head level so they have very little to disturb them. Dim lights may help also. A good friend of mine breeds and is very successful. These ideas I got from watching his process. They still may need practice. Find out which one is eating the eggs and remove that one and let one parent raise the fry. Just some ideas. there is many things to try and I'm sure more experienced members here will chime to give you a hand. Mike

White Worm
12-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Forgot to ask

Did you move the fry and the pair to a new tank at the same time?