PDA

View Full Version : Scare & Nervous Discus

thang45
12-24-2005, 02:58 PM
I have 3 discus in 40 gallons (bare bottom tank). In the past three weeks, the fish are scare every time I came around the tank. They swim really fast around the tank, and hit all conners of the tank really hard. All this could happen if I walk really slowly towards the tank. Any ideas?

My tank setup:

40 gallons
3 discus
2 fake plastic plants
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 7.4 (Tap age water, added Aqua Plus to remove Chlorine and Chloramine)
Temperature 86 F
Air stone
Water changes 15% everyday, and 50% on the weekend.
Feed hikari frozen bloodworm, and beefheart (home made)

I treated 2 times with flukes tap last week because the discus breathes very fast (mouth opened 2-3 times per second). The fluke tap seems to work. I do a 50% water change on day three. All discus are eating normal, but refused to eat when I’m around. Am I doing something wrong?

CAGE-RATTLER
12-24-2005, 03:19 PM
How long have you had them .................... it may just take them some time to get used to you.

One thing that may help to keep them from slamming into the walls is maybe put a piece of tall driftwood or a large potted sword plant in the tank to give them somewhere to hide behind so they feel safe.

If you've had them awhile and they werent doing this before ............. it just may be a reaction from the meds.

Just a thought.

thang45
12-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Thank you Cage-Rattler for the quick response.

I had them for 3 months. It might be the meds, that is why I added an additional fake plant so they can hide. What do you think I should do, should I do nothing and wait for them to get use to the tank environment, or treat them with salt or do something to calm them down?

Another question, if I see that they are breathing heavy or shaking their body every 5 to 10 minutes again within the next two weeks, should I treat them with Formalin (formaldehyde)?

Greg Richardson
12-24-2005, 04:59 PM
I'd do exact opposite. I put my sponge filters in corner of tank.
I don't want any place for my fish to be able to hide.

When I feed them I clang on the top.

I want them to adapt to me.
I use to be the other way around.

Ime just get it over with.

In the end imo you'll have happier fish as they will be use to noise and movements.

Thus as time goes on and they learn to expect the possibility of both.

Less stress, less chance of sickness.

My first tank after coming back to discus has proven that for me.

Now with my other tanks in the other room each tank I set up I do the same.

Some take longer than others.

Carol_Roberts
12-24-2005, 05:01 PM
See if extra water changes help. Treat with fluke tabs again 5 days after last treatment. Add salt at 1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons. If still breathing funny may be bacteria rather than flukes.

thang45
12-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Thank you everyone for your input.:)