PDA

View Full Version : Versa-tops/glass tops... anyone?

Ryan
12-24-2005, 04:14 PM
All-Glass used to make what they called "Versa Tops," all-glass hinged lids for tanks. I am looking all over the place for them (I used to get them at ThatPetPlace) but no one seems to carry them anymore. Are they under a different name now, or is there anything else similar? I like these better than traditional plastic hoods.

Ryan

Ryan
12-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Hmmm, it looks like Drs. Foster & Smith has them, but they're the only place. Hopefully they're in stock.

Ryan

brewmaster15
12-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi Ryan,
I bought a mess of them there this past year..if they don't have what you need ..let me know.. I have a connection out here that can get them I am sure.
-al

CAGE-RATTLER
12-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Not sure what Dr foster & smith charges but i depending on what size you need Petsmart carries them. Might be worth it just for the shipping costs.

I know my LFS has them too ............. i just got aprice for a 30 inch one and it was only $12.94

These were made by perfecto.

A lot of places may have these but not list them cause they wont ship them.

I believe thats the case for petsmart.

I believe the 30 minch was $19.99 so an lfs may be the best choice.

kaceyo
12-24-2005, 06:05 PM
I bought one in May from Pet Solutions. They listed it as a Perfecto glass canopy. I seem to remember having a hard time finding them with a "search" even at some places that did have them. And It was shipped to me no prob.

Kacey

justafishguy
12-24-2005, 06:39 PM
I found the cheapest route to be a hardware store that cuts glass. I got a 75gal top for 12 buck, vs 40 buck at the lfs. Then all you need is the hinge strip which you can buy per foot.

sugio
12-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Hmmm, it looks like Drs. Foster & Smith has them, but they're the only place. Hopefully they're in stock.

Ryan
Ryan,

I also found them at http://www.mops.ca as well. Let us know if you find a better place online.

keith_cny
12-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Ryan
I agree with the fish guy. I got a one half of a set for a 40 gal breeder after one broke years ago very cheap and fast. Seems just as good as what LFS may have. Even better if you want special cutouts for your filter, heater, arohoses etc. I got mine at the local plate glass/mirror shop I think it was $7.

I have a problem with this tank maybe you can help me with. I was cleaning it and getting ready to paint the bottom today and detected a leak in bottom seal (it still had acouple ounces of water in it). It was full a couple days ago and no leak so I guess I must have damaged the seal somehow today. This sounds like a real pain to tear apart and reseal. Is it not that bad or is this something I should take to an LFS or someplace to get fixed?

Thanks

Keith

Ryan
12-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and got the ones from Drs. Foster & Smith. I think they're made by All-Glass Aquarium, which is the brand of tanks I always go with.

Keith, I've never had that problem *knock on wood* but I've seen a lot of people say that if you have a leak, it's best to reseal the whole tank, not just add sealant. If you don't want to attempt that yourself, it may be a job for the LFS. Someone else may have another suggestion, but I've always heard it's not best to just "patch" one place, but reseal entirely.

Ryan

discusdave
12-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Ryan,
You were smart to get the ones by All-Glass. If you had bought one by Perfecto it would not have fit your tank. You cannot switch covers between different brands. All-Glass ones are also made with thicker glass than the ones by Perfecto, up to 75 gallons I believe.

Dave

justafishguy
12-25-2005, 01:48 PM
I would agree that you should reseal the entire tank. I once had a 55 gal that was used for 10yrs but slowly developed a leak around the bottom. I tried to just patch the bottom, but still leaked. So the next thing was to reseal the whole tank.

RandalB
12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Shoulda gone with the DIY's Ryan and saved some big $$. I get 'em at wholesale and I'd still have 'em cut at a glass shop. 2x 24" Covers for my 75 Gallon cost $6.00 at the local glass shop. Use 3/16" Glass and you can buy a 48" Hinge strip for less than $6.00 (You only need about 4" To do the job BTW..) instant Versa-Tops.

RandalB

CAGE-RATTLER
12-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Shoulda gone with the DIY's Ryan and saved some big $$. I get 'em at wholesale and I'd still have 'em cut at a glass shop. 2x 24" Covers for my 75 Gallon cost $6.00 at the local glass shop. Use 3/16" Glass and you can buy a 48" Hinge strip for less than $6.00 (You only need about 4" To do the job BTW..) instant Versa-Tops.

RandalB

And what do you use for a handle?

And where do you get the hinge for $6?

RandalB
12-26-2005, 05:38 PM
I don't generally bother with the handle but
my LFS sells both...

RandalB

Mr. Limpet
12-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Randal,
What are you using for a hinge strip?
I have always just used a flattened out bead of silicone, but you have to
redo it often. And I also vote for your local glass shop. Fast, easy and cheap,
a hard combo to beat. You can even go 1/4 inch extra peace of mind.
Paul.

RandalB
12-27-2005, 04:09 PM
It's an All-Glass Hinge Strip. 48" for $6.00. All you need is a 4-6" piece on a 24" Glass.

RandalB

CAGE-RATTLER
01-14-2006, 10:55 PM
It's an All-Glass Hinge Strip. 48" for $6.00. All you need is a 4-6" piece on a 24" Glass.

RandalB

And you get that where?

RandalB
01-14-2006, 10:59 PM
I get it from the LFS...

RandalB

Alight
01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Around here, hardware stores no longer stock and cut glass. The specialty glass shops charge an arm and a leg for cutting and glass for you. A top for a 55 gallon tank would have cost more than $30 (called all over the place and ended up ordering from Fosters and Smith). Used to be easy and cheap to get glass cut for tank tops.