PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Aquarium...Sea Clear? Whatcha Think?

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 12:35 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on Acrylic aquariums?? I am looking at a 40gal one at Pets Mart...online~ I think I read somewhere someone posted that something could go wrong with them...? Or they have certain problems~

Looks really nice, tho! (so can not believe I am doing this)

Ya all know I need one quick....lol!!

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_3_11.gif

cobaltblue
12-25-2005, 01:30 AM
The only negative thing ive read so far is that certain plecos, like bristlenose, can scratch up an acrylic tank. If your doing bb in the tank, it should be fine.

Bainbridge Mike
12-25-2005, 02:01 AM
I have two seaclear tanks (a 46 bow and a 40) and love them both. The best prices I have found on seaclear tanks is through aquarium parts west. I have had the bow set up for almost 3 years with angels and bristlenose plecos. I have heard people say their plecos scuff up the acrylic, but I have never seen it in my tanks. I think they are better than most tanks available on the market--maybe not the best available, but pretty good. I will probably buy some more. Good luck and happy ho ho's!

Mike

AADiscus
12-25-2005, 09:11 AM
OOHHHH Marie!!!!!!!

Do I sense the Discus bug getting you??? lol Now you will start trying to figure out where the put all your tanks. :D You go girl.

Elcid
12-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Acrylic tanks are nice but not worth the money for smaller tanks (less than 55 gallon). The 55 gallon acrylic is a good deal though, just because they sell so many of them. Although I really do like the 65 gallon seaclear :)....In a big tank >100 gallons they are great just because of the lightweight!

April
12-25-2005, 04:14 PM
i have tru vu . they are made in california..check them out also. maybe more costly..not sure. i only paid 400 for a 100 gallon one even with driving it up from california to our lfs. not me..them. but tru vu are meant to have a 15 year guarantee not to yellow. all i know..
all my tanks are acrylic. you'd love it marie . the other good thing..is even if its a bit more..you dont need the canopy which is costly. it comes with the shells. and...discus cant leap out as easy..they are so clear..and so nice..just dont use anything too abrasive to scratch it. oh and..they hold the heat better and...the best point for me was i can manouver my 100 gallon on my own..moving it around..and setting it up..super woman!!! dont have to ask anyone for help. lifting a 100 gallon tank is..no fun!!!
http://www.truvuaquariums.com/truvu_site/contact.html
another good thing about acrylic..is they dont leak or crack..and if you guys have an earthquake..why..it would bounce!!!
oh..and if you think traco has an accent..then..guess youd think i have an even worse one!! i dont live that far from her..just across the water. but..guess what.. we dont. you do. lol.

tpl*co
12-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Hey Marie!

Clean out your box woman! I tried to send you a messege and it was full!

Oh by the way Merry Christmas!

I have a new acrylic 40 gallon that I got from Petsmart that I never set up since I'm searching for a stand. It has the light hood and everything. If you want it we could set up a deal :). I can probably scronge around for some extra filters for it too.

Tina

alpine
12-25-2005, 05:09 PM
I just saw this 40 gallon Seaclear set in Ebay for $140.00 New.

roberto.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SeaClear-40-Gal-Acrylic-Fish-Aquarium-w-Hood_W0QQitemZ7728832254QQcategoryZ20755QQssPageNa meZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tpl*co
12-25-2005, 05:52 PM
LOL, I'll do better than that and there's no shipping to worry about ;).

Tina

cobaltblue
12-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Tina, thats an awesome deal your offering Marie. YOur awesome. ;)

ps...Marie, you need to clear out your private messages....:antlers:

tpl*co
12-25-2005, 06:21 PM
LOL, my DH is happy about getting one of my tanks out from underfoot too. ;).

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 08:41 PM
okay okay okay.... *******!!! ya know.....I am really a B*, not an Angel!! Ya all voted for the wrong dayum person!! LOL!

I can put 5 discus in a 40 right? Even as adults?? Cuz I'm done here guys... I mean it....no..........more...........fish............n o more tanks...

Or should I get that 100gal tank , that Geo found on CL for me? I called the lady, here in Sac and she wants $100- for it...no stand..That is a good price, yes?

I have a headache http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_42.gif

I cleared my pms....Tina...thanks, woman.....call me! I am
confused

but i am really really excited and I thank you so much CUZ I WON!!! I never win anything....for real....and I never saw this one coming...And even tho I get some really cool fish....that isnt the best part....well...I so dont wanna cry here....

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 09:53 PM
OOHHHH Marie!!!!!!!

Do I sense the Discus bug getting you??? lol Now you will start trying to figure out where the put all your tanks. :D You go girl.

And your point is?????????????????? LOL!!

i don't wanna go http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_146_24.gif

Marie~

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 10:00 PM
i have tru vu . they are made in california..check them out also. maybe more costly..not sure. i only paid 400 for a 100 gallon one even with driving it up from california to our lfs. not me..them. but tru vu are meant to have a 15 year guarantee not to yellow. all i know..
all my tanks are acrylic. you'd love it marie . the other good thing..is even if its a bit more..you dont need the canopy which is costly. it comes with the shells. and...discus cant leap out as easy..they are so clear..and so nice..just dont use anything too abrasive to scratch it. oh and..they hold the heat better and...the best point for me was i can manouver my 100 gallon on my own..moving it around..and setting it up..super woman!!! dont have to ask anyone for help. lifting a 100 gallon tank is..no fun!!!
http://www.truvuaquariums.com/truvu_site/contact.html
another good thing about acrylic..is they dont leak or crack..and if you guys have an earthquake..why..it would bounce!!!
oh..and if you think traco has an accent..then..guess youd think i have an even worse one!! i dont live that far from her..just across the water. but..guess what.. we dont. you do. lol.

April~ I so agree in that the acrylic tanks look so cool! They would be clearer too? I knew it....and there doesnt seem to be any seams, or whatnot... You crack me up I swear!! Earthquake? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_36.gif bounce??? LMAO! I am gonna calll you soon cuz I wanna hear your accent too.... i love accents!! And when Barb says, 'eh' after a sentence ....that is so very cool....I have told everyone here about that!....Then you can tell me if I have an accent...

So, give up your number, woman...pm me~

I am going to go and check out your tank link~

Marie~

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Oh, April I forgot something....

you dont need the canopy which is costly. it comes with the shells.

I don't understand that....Canopy? Shells?? lol

M~:angel:

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 10:07 PM
oh. They're in Hayward!:D

( glad this is my thread, ya think?)

Alan
12-25-2005, 10:10 PM
I have to say no on acrylic tanks regardless of brand. I have a 180g which I'm selling and a 40g which I'll probably sell too. I've had the 180g for over 2 years. As soon as I filled it up with water it started bowing out. It's only 3/8" thick and I ordered 1/2" from the retailer. This was a big dispute that went back and forth, but that's another story. From what I heard they (acrylic tanks) are no good after 2.5 years or so. My tank is also scratched already. You try to wipe it and before you know it you scrubbed too hard trying to get that algae off even when you use the scrubs specially made for acrylic tanks. After I get rid of my 180g, I'm thinking of getting a 125g glass.

traco
12-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Ex, squeeze me, again, we DO NOT have an accent way up here in Canada. Be interesting if you do talk to April, then you can compare the "Island" to the "Mainland" accents but ya won't find one, eh? ........

April
12-26-2005, 02:08 AM
hi there..the holes that are on top they have these litltle light covers to cover the working holes about 12 inches by 8 inches somethin like that? then its completely covered..and you cna just put a shoplight over top or somethin or they do have light canopies..but discus dont need much light. i quit using lights. but in my shop..i have flourescent lighting on my ceiling anyhow.

Kindredspirit
12-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Ex, squeeze me, again, we DO NOT have an accent way up here in Canada. Be interesting if you do talk to April, then you can compare the "Island" to the "Mainland" accents but ya won't find one, eh? ........

LMAO!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_16.gif

WoW, Barb...when I read that I was like saying it exactly like you would have .......said it........does that make sense? prolly not...lol!

Kindredspirit
12-26-2005, 02:30 AM
I have to say no on acrylic tanks regardless of brand. I have a 180g which I'm selling and a 40g which I'll probably sell too. I've had the 180g for over 2 years. As soon as I filled it up with water it started bowing out. It's only 3/8" thick and I ordered 1/2" from the retailer. This was a big dispute that went back and forth, but that's another story. From what I heard they (acrylic tanks) are no good after 2.5 years or so. My tank is also scratched already. You try to wipe it and before you know it you scrubbed too hard trying to get that algae off even when you use the scrubs specially made for acrylic tanks. After I get rid of my 180g, I'm thinking of getting a 125g glass.

Oh, ****-tums! Hopefully, you are not the norm? Cuz I may be getting a 40gal, Alan! ...at a really good price~

I appreciate sharing your experience with us. So, I guess it is safe to assume you would never buy another? lol...

Come on, Alan....tell me something good?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_51.gif

Marie~

April
12-26-2005, 04:38 PM
well..thats why i said go with tru-vu.they give a very good warranty. mine are almost 10 years old..or maybe 8 and no bowing. i got one made by someone in the buy and sell paper though..and a disaster. all acrylic are not equal. and some yellow. truvus dont yellow and mine dont bow. maybe the top a bit..she can talk to the truvu company though..and see what they offer for guarantee. tiny fine scratches..you dont see when water is in them. if you have mega lights..you could get algae..i quit using lights right on top..and no algae.
decisions..decisions eh Marie?? their safer for no leaks or cracks..

Kindredspirit
12-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey You~

I think by now you know I bought the 55gal from good ol Pets Mart~

Someday tho, I will try one of those tanks as they look so clear and no seams! I love that~ (actually, Hell No....I won't cuz I am not getting anymore tanks)

I know our discus do not need much light, but I need the light...lol...dayumit, April! We gave them bare bottoms,http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_2.gif no sand, So I need to SEE that , don't I ? lol!

Marie~

tpl*co
12-27-2005, 09:32 AM
OK, I'm waiting for the post "The lighting is bad (in Marie wording) on my new tank" LOL!

Tina

Kindredspirit
12-27-2005, 09:46 AM
aww...man, that is sooooooo mean, Tina! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_20_5.gif Actually that is one of the things that I didnt wanna get a 55 cuz of the lighting....I just bought that new light for my other 55 and it wasnt cheap make no mistake about that...

And soooooooooooooo, whatz your point?? It does look awful, Tina, it does! You have to come and see the difference~

Marie~ ( no Starbucks for you today, Ms. Tina)

tpl*co
12-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Wah, you cut to the quick Marie, NO STARBUCKS! LOL. It's raining too, so I have to choose between getting wet or my coffee... (lots of times getting wet wins):coffee:

Just set up my new light on the 60 that I told you about (has the footprint of a 50-55 which the stand was supposed to be for, but DH had me set up the tank elsewhere). Got the light for it off of ebay (a corallife aqualight). I hear ya that the lights aren't cheap! I think the tank is the cheapest part of this hobby! Kinda like the bedding costing more than the mattress sort of thing.

Tina

Elcid
12-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Buy small glass tanks, Big acrylic ones ;)

Alan
12-27-2005, 06:43 PM
I guess this post is too late then.

Anyway, FYI, I do have a 40g acrylic tank by Clear for Life. It did bow out when I bought it about 2+ years ago (almost the same time as the 180g when I got bit by the aquarist hobby). The LFS owner said it was normal. I think it's holding better than the 180g though (less water pressure from the inside). It's about 1/4" or 3/8" thick and has curved front corners. But, yes I won't be buying any acrylic soon.

This thread is hot, I see barebottoms and I see cracks. What's next? :rolleyes2

Dood Lee
12-28-2005, 05:35 AM
Acrylic aquariums will always bow out, no matter how thick you get them in. Bowing in not a problem on acrylic tanks, since structurally, acrylic is stronger than glass, and the bonding of the acrylic pieces is also stronger than the silicone used to bond glass. Acrylic is also clearer than glass and is lightweight, which is why many aquarists buy acrylic tanks when they get tanks larger than 100 gallons.

The only downsides to acrylic aquariums are that they scratch easily and that they are expensive. Scratching can be kept to a minimum if you use algae scrubbers that are made for acrylic. Smaller acrylic tanks are expensive when you compare them to the same size glass counterparts. However, as tanks get larger, the price of acrylic actually goes down to the point where they are cheaper than glass tanks.

IMO, you could get a 40 gal glass tank for much cheaper than an acrylic (unless you were buying the acrylic tank from a certain friend ;) ).

Kindredspirit
12-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Guys!!

I did decide on the 55gal glass tank! But I am so done! Someday I would really want to get an acrylic tank. They look very nice without the seams, and appear much more clear, dontcha think? But they are very expensive. April goes thru a company with a pretty awesome warranty~

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_33_3.gif

Elcid
12-28-2005, 07:16 PM
The other thing to remember is "Not all Glass Tanks are Made Equal" If you are looking for a display tank don't buy the cheapies ! And tempered glass tanks usually cannot be drilled (I think?)

Timbo
12-28-2005, 11:45 PM
you are correct Elcid :) tempered glass isnt drill friendly

Esthetically speaking, i love the look of a brand new acrylic tank..curved corners, few seams, light weight, but...hardness (scratch resistance) can be a question versus glass and some of the old ones used to "yellow" over time, but i think that has been corrected with the newer materials and not much of an issue these daze.

guess it kind of depends on what you want...acrylic makes an EXCELLENT display tank, but for working tanks...i'd always go glass.

Uncle Raymond
12-30-2005, 08:24 PM
I have had acrylic more than 15 years... they ROCK!!! stronger than glass, lighter than glass, no silicon edges, clear as thin air!!!!! Go with Tenecor or Tru-Vu, will not yellow or crack.... serious warranty.

http://www.tenecor.com/

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/truvu_site/

Elcid
12-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Wow, ur acrylic tank is almost as old as mine :), If you post pics of the topview of yours, I'll post pics of mine ;)

alpine
12-30-2005, 10:15 PM
You all got me interested in the acrylic tanks....but ...you forgot to tell me they are about 3 times more expensivethan the All Glass tanks. I am looking for a 125 tank to go upstairs in my fishroom (14 steps-right angle turn downstairs ) and after reading about the acrylic's lightweight I got real exited until I went to the links you all posted and saw the pricing !!!!
The 125 "All Glass " tank, top and light is $299.00 close to me for pick up...the acrylics I looked at were $900.00 + plus...

roberto.

Elcid
12-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Roberto, ur comparing apples with oranges, check out the price of an Oceanic 125 gallon...

cobaltblue
12-30-2005, 11:30 PM
ive been checking 120-130g tanks alot in the past couple days. Cheapest tank ive found (new) is a perfecto from Big Als. 199$ for the 120g. Now you do get what you pay for. All-Glass and Oceanic ive found the 125g for 299$.These are canadian dollars, so even cheaper for you americans. IVe looked into a few acrylics and cannot find under 800$ for a 125g....there is a huge difference.

alpine
12-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Elcid .. ???

Elcid
12-31-2005, 12:01 AM
http://bluereefaquatics.com/ePlazaShowProduct.asp?productID=242

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=879

alpine
12-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Ok..Ok ..they are at least twice as much. I noticed the weight of the acrylic was 79 pounds :) :) ...I would like to know what the "All Glass " weights. I went to the website but they did not list the weight of the tanks, just the dimensions.

roberto.

Elcid
12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
You could move a 125 gallon All Glass tank by urself if ur brave and have a strong back, atleast the cheap one if it's made of tempered glass....;)

Sergey
12-31-2005, 01:15 AM
>I would like to know what the "All Glass " weights

http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml

Sergey.

cobaltblue
12-31-2005, 01:50 AM
http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml

here is the link to the weights of all glass aquariums.

the 125 weighs 206lb empty, 1400lb full.

alpine
12-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Thank you. My concern of the weight are the stairs.

roberto.

skittles
12-31-2005, 11:14 PM
Under a certain size, glass is both cheaper and more readily available. However, If you're going for BIG, acrylic will have the cost advantage. Also, that silicone that seals glass seams will eventually dry up and leak, whereas a properly made acrylic seam won't. Acrylic is lighter, and fine scratches can be buffed out. Acrylic is also a lot harder to break by hitting (a very important point if you have kids and fish in the same house.)

You can custom-order tanks all over the place; however, watch out for the thickness of acrylic used, and get references. When comparing prices, be aware that most people will quote you a "show tank," in other words not drilled or plumbed for filtration, and without pre-filters. Pre's are extra. You can also have blue or black laminated to the back, bottom, sides, etc. You can also have the pre-filter placed in the center of the tank if you want to view from all sides, or at one end if you use your tank as a room divider.

I bought my 238 gal bowfront (225 if you subtract the thickness, airspace, and add the extra in the sump) from a little outfit in Florida called Aquariums By The Sea (squish it all together and add a .com for their website.) The owner, Stephen McCarty took all the time in the world to answer every question I had both before and after the sale, and even after delivery. It was great. It was scary to order a tank from so far away, but I know Stephen will stand by every tank he builds. I know that because the worst happened--the (bleep, bleep) shipper reduced the shipping pallette size and cracked my tank, but Stephen immediately took the tank back and promised me a new one even if we were unsuccessful in getting the shipper's insurance settlement (we finally did get it.) Long story short, I have my new tank up and running now, and am very happy with it. It's going to be really cool as soon as it cycles and gets a few discus....

Timbo
01-01-2006, 07:44 AM
However, If you're going for BIG, acrylic will have the cost advantage.

hi skittles!

would it be rude to ask how much your 238 cost because i have always found acrylic tanks, ESPECIALLY the bigger ones, to be much more expensive than glass. (2 to 3 times as much)..your supplier's prices would be of interest if he can match or beat glass prices for acrylic tanks! what was his price for a 180gal or 135 for instance please?

Also, that silicone that seals glass seams will eventually dry up and leak, whereas a properly made acrylic seam won't.

"eventually" must be a VERY long time cause i have tanks 9+ yrs old where the silicone remains soft and flexible and zero leaks. how long a time is it until the silicone becomes "dried up" from your experience?

thanks for your input and welcome to simply:):)
Tim

skittles
01-04-2006, 05:12 AM
Hi! Thanks for the welcome. Well, you caught me reporting hearsay on the glass seams. Your witness there is probably better than mine, 'cause I was referring to the tank of a friend who had to re-seal his, and several other people I met who had the same problem. However, I can't tell you how old those tanks were.

My acrylic tank was actually not cheap, because I am a big silly and I insisted on a custom-sized bow (8" bow across 60" of tank rather than the standard 6") However, Stephen will quote you any size you want, and the good news is that if you want the 8" bow now, you can have it without paying for the custom jig, which he already made for me. Tell him I sent you, though!!! I want a kick-back :p .

I also compared Tenecor, who come highly recommended, but they will only go through a local retailer, and my local retailer got flakey on me. I was telling them I'm ready to order--please verify this pricing/details with me, and they were not returning my messages, or giving me the "yeah, whatever." What I had to pay in shipping I saved in taxes. (Out of state order.)

I will advise anyone, though, if you want to do freshwater, LIGHTS tend to come in 48" or 72". The only standard lights I was able to find at 60" were metal halide with actinic at at least 10k degrees kelvin. Plenty of selection for saltwater. Plus, even with my compact flourescent, which I finally went with, they add a little heat to the water.

alpine
01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I found a good supplier and manufacturer of acrylic and glass tanks in the state(TN) next to me . The prices are affordable. I am looking at the 135. It is made with 3/8 thick acrylic.
www.glasscages.com (http://www.glasscages.com)

roberto.

Alan
01-05-2006, 03:09 PM
On a 135 acrylic, I would go for at least 1/2" thick. My 180 3/8" caved out as soon as I put the water in. It's over 2 years and it's still holding out but the top has its curves :)

April
01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
cobaltblue..did you price your tanks at king ed pets?? and timbo?? i paid..535.00 for a 100 gallon plexi. no canopies to buy..so thats also a savings.

candyl70
01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
EEEEK April! That sounds like alot. What does a 100 gal. glass tank cost? More or less? Not that I can have one http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_62.gif

skittles
01-08-2006, 01:49 AM
I found a good supplier and manufacturer of acrylic and glass tanks in the state(TN) next to me . The prices are affordable. I am looking at the 135. It is made with 3/8 thick acrylic.
www.glasscages.com (http://www.glasscages.com)

roberto.

I agree with Alan about the thickness. Check with several manufacturers on line and see what they recommend.

good luck!
Skittles

Cosmo
01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
As I remember, the top and bottom are usually thicker than the sides need to be. My 180 has 3/8 sides and 1/2 top/bottom and it cost me about 635. A tank from another mfg. had 1/2 all around but was 950... The tanks about 2 years old now and no problems..

My 90 is 3/8 all around... cool cause at that size they curve the front corners :)

Jim

alpine
01-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Jim, this 135 gallon tank is priced at $340.00 and $40.00 for a glass top. The 100 gallon tank is $240.00 . The manufacturer assure me that 3/8 was strong enough and they warranty their tanks and have a Great reputation .
They have some acrylic 125 gallon used tanks in ebay and they seem to be going for around $100.00. I wish I was close to California so I could pick up , they want $175.00 for UPS shipping.

roberto.

April
01-08-2006, 06:12 PM
candy..when you see those nice shiny..new plexi tanks in a store..how can you resist? besides i knew i had to move..so no way was i gonna move a glass tank or two.
i paid 330.00 in canada for a 50 gallon glass tank.

Timbo
01-08-2006, 09:28 PM
i paid 330.00 in canada for a 50 gallon glass tank.

for just the tank? whoa

I just bought a 90gal in sept for $189 +HST (just the tank, no equipment) at Big Al's Aquarium Services in Ottawa