PDA

View Full Version : Tank Durability...........

Greg Richardson
12-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Picked up a used 55. Either I did it when cleaning it moving it or it came this way.

The black plastic at top of tank glass has a vertical cut in it on two corners kitty corner from each other on outside of glass.

How important is this?

Is this peice basically when it comes to structure just a glass edge protection device?

Or does this peice serve a purpose important enough structure wise to be replaced?

If not important enough to replace can this be gorilla glued?

lauris
12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
i have some experience with the breaking of the center brace. the top plastic rim does keep the tank glass from bowing. if you fill a 55 with a broken center brace, the glass will bow nearly a half inch. that will make you plenty nervous, but it will hold. i had a tank that was in use and i noticed the broken brace and it was fine for at least a month afterwards. that top piece is cheap and can be easily replaced. i would fill it and see if the glass bows, if not, it is probably not structural yet.

Greg Richardson
12-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks. Glad it is on the corner not the center brace.

CAGE-RATTLER
12-27-2005, 02:08 PM
If its not split all the way through .... i would emagine a patch job may work but if you dont feel comfortable with it ............ THAT FISH PLACE has the top caps for them.

One for a perfecto tank (48 x 13) is $18.49