PDA

View Full Version : feeding juvenile discus

dax29
12-26-2005, 06:29 PM
How do I feed juvenile discus 3-4 times a day if I'm at work? Do most of you use automatic feeders?

grelot
12-26-2005, 06:59 PM
I personnaly use automatic feeders to feed 5 times a day. I feed myself once before to go to work, then the auto feeder feed them twice in the day. After I feed them at 5 when I come back and then at 8.
But if you cant afford an autofeeder, feeding 3 times a day would be not too bad. Do once in the morning and twice at night.

Remi

grelot
12-26-2005, 07:01 PM
welcome to simply by the way.
It's one of the best place for good advices on discus keeping.
A lot of peolple here are a wealth of knowledge.

Ardan
12-26-2005, 07:01 PM
I fed them before work (5 a.m.)
After work 5 p. m .
and before bed 8'30 or 9pm

on weekends added another around noon.

watch the ammonia/nitrite so you don't over feed, that is more important, to not overfeed as the water quality will drop.
the more you feed the more you must wipe down the tank walls (slimy) and change water.

hth
Ardan

dax29
12-26-2005, 07:49 PM
The lights must be on a lot to feed them that much, or do you turn on the lights, let them adjust to the light, feed them, then turn off the lights and let the timer kick in later? I don't keep my lights on for my other tanks more than 8-10 hours a day. I guess you put in the dry food for the automatic feeders and feed them the frozen food by hand. I think feeding the frozen or fresh meats at night so you can immediately clean out the tank is best. Where do you get the beef heart and worms?

Ardan
12-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Live black worms I ordered from aquaticfoods.com
frozen hikari bloodworms from the lfs.
never used an auto feeder.

I siphoned out remaining uneaten food on the bottom after 15 or 20 minutes after feeding so it wouldn't foul the water.

water changes usually once per day
lights on 12 hours per day (8 to 10 is fine), yes let them adjust to light slowly.
I turned on room light for a bit, then tank light. Light and shadow from me walking in suddenly in front of light could startle them.

they do get used to a routine and get used to you being the source of food:)

hth
Ardan

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Open drapes let in enough light during the day. I use Eheim automatic feeders.