PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for a 55

CAGE-RATTLER
12-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Ive been looking around a bit for a light for my 55 and found this on ebay.

Anyone use the Jebo's?

Not i dont plan on any live plants........... just need an inexpensive strip light for now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7732692024&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Ax
12-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I have tham on my planted tanks, works great and cheap. Two of them are 260w PC so I changed the fans (original maid to much noice). this ones has no fans, and work great, one recomendation to change the bulbs to true-Sun (HomeDepot) about $4.00 each, LFS - $30 each....
They give true colours of the fish. 12000 is to intence - algea problem, actinic distorets colors (blue intance - so good if you have blue Dimonds but not yellow or white).
Cheers, Alex.

Happy New Year!!!

Westie
12-27-2005, 09:39 PM
I almost bought one of their UV's off ebay but, held off on it. Jebo is a Chinese/Canadian company specializing in pets yet, I've never seen them. Did my research. Glad to see someone has used them and faired well. When I threw out the question in a thread it went unanswered. Let us know if it "rattles your cage."

tpl*co
12-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Cage Rattler, are you in Sacramento? Capitol Aquarium had some knock off brand power compacts for cheap. I had one though and the plastic gets brittle after a while and it doesn't light as bright as an aqualight, but it is better than most light strips that tanks come with and they are fairly cheap.

CAGE-RATTLER
12-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Im in Baltimore ............... and still debating on whether i'll get one or not.

$55 with shipping i guess isnt to bad.

I'd pay the same price for a cheapo single bulb strip anywhere else i guess.

Any idea if you can add brighter bulbs for it?? Or do they have a wattage limit?

jeep8rus
12-27-2005, 11:21 PM
If you are not using plants, you can just go to home depot and buy a strip light for $30. Make sure you get one with a power cable, or if it doesn't come with one you can buy a grounded cord for another $8 or so.

-Russ

CAGE-RATTLER
12-27-2005, 11:59 PM
I thought about that but they are a bit heavy and i dont think they come in black ... lol.

If i put up a gorilla rack like i want to .......... i'll probably go with the cheap shop lights and mount them under the shelf above the tanks.

Still debating on a rack right now and trying to figure out what size i should get and where to put it.

Greg Richardson
12-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Yep. Home Depot where to go for strip lights. Save a bunch.
Just bought 18" today for my 30 gallon tank. Lights it up great.
Have 14 on my 20 tank. Same result.

Alight
12-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Got a Home Depot shop light for my 55 fry tank, too. It was only about $14 for a 48" two bulb unit, is not heavy at all, and came in white. I got the T-8 alternative bulbs which are actually too bright, so I only light one of them, instead of both. Two of these should work out well for a mid - high level planted tank.

You could always apray paint the thing black for a couple of bucks.

Westie
12-28-2005, 12:22 AM
I too am running the home depot cheepo. 4-24in. with the Life-Glo/Aqua-Glo combo. Not to-to bright for the Amazon Swords but, you've seen what they do for Banana plants.

CAGE-RATTLER
12-28-2005, 02:09 AM
Do you guys get the ones with wings (i guess they are reflectors) so the bulbs arent sitting on the glass?

Or do you guys just hang them over top the tans?

Got any links to the ones you use and how you use them?

Greg Richardson
12-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Cage. I buy glass and have it cut for top of my tanks to save $$$. Lights sit right on top.
Went to HD site and they don't show what I bought for my tank.

But here is a couple for your situation.

I find the basic fluorescent to light up a tank just fine.

Lithonia Lighting
4 Ft. 2-Light Premium Fluorescent Fixture
Model LB240120ES
Price: $39.97/ea

Lithonia Lighting
4 Ft. 2-Light Residential Fluorescent Wrap
Model BWX 2 40 120 MBE
$24.98

Need to search once at link...........

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0302397144.1135752933@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccghaddgijldmfmcgelceffdfgidglm.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+4233&pos=n12

Greg Richardson
12-28-2005, 03:33 AM
Went back to HD site and searched under brand. Bingo.
This is what I use for 29. Could be used for 20 also.

HD is real good with returns so if u bring one home and don't like it no big deal.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0302397144.1135752933@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccghaddgijldmfmcgelceffdfgidglm.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+4233&pos=n12

CAGE-RATTLER
12-28-2005, 03:42 AM
unfortunately ......... HD's site wont let you direct link to the individual lights .

I went thru the same thing when candy was looking for one

Greg Richardson
12-28-2005, 03:56 AM
I went under brand which was GE.
Had to go to more brands as it isn't listed with first list.
Weird they don't let u link.
Who was the marketing genius advising the webmaster? LOL!

Ax
12-28-2005, 01:19 PM
If this is for the show tank in your livingroom, (like two of my 150 and 70 X-Tall) I would go with Jebo, I have one CoralLife 260watt and Jabo 260watt on my 150 and I like jebo better (the only things it's one power cored for 3 light banks: 2x65watt, 2x65watt, 6x2watt moonlights), if it's for your fishroom, build the stands and go HD, here is a link to a great example: http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45944

Alex.

CAGE-RATTLER
12-28-2005, 01:56 PM
If this is for the show tank in your livingroom, (like two of my 150 and 70 X-Tall) I would go with Jebo, I have one CoralLife 260watt and Jabo 260watt on my 150 and I like jebo better (the only things it's one power cored for 3 light banks: 2x65watt, 2x65watt, 6x2watt moonlights), if it's for your fishroom, build the stands and go HD, here is a link to a great example: http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45944

Alex.

Thanx for posting the link ............. and yes these are for breeder and grow out tanks.

I was actually going to start going thru some of the fishroom links to see what others were using.

I have been thru loverboys post several times and didnt even notice the lights ................... since i wasnt that far along yet.

Ax
12-28-2005, 02:12 PM
I am planning to build stands for my 10 tanks that all over basement now, starting New Year, so if you like we can create thread where we can both post pics on our progress and straggles…,
Think that would be fun.
In any case best of luck and many Discus ;) to you and your family!!!
Alex.:)

CAGE-RATTLER
12-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanx for the well wishes. Same to you and yours!

Right now i only have the 55 & 29 and will probably just get a gorilla rack to put them on. Just trying to figure out where to put it and what size to get so i have room for expansion.

I certainly dont consider that fishroom but will post pics when ready.
Wont be much to look at tho ..... lol.

Westie
12-29-2005, 04:06 AM
Do you guys get the ones with wings (i guess they are reflectors) so the bulbs arent sitting on the glass?

Or do you guys just hang them over top the tans?

Mine are/were the aquarium bulb/20w/no relector set up. Changed to Aqualux after a while, better color and results with plants. Still looking for like some type of a reflective backing. Wood now. Mounted my lights to my high canopy. I have a HD account for work so anything I can get without paying an LFS i.e. expensive lights, is a write-off. Although putting a pond pump in a reef tank backfired...