PDA

View Full Version : 10 days after Metro, still not eating

craniac24
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
I completed a Metro treatment 10 days ago, and I still have 2 fish that aren't eating. Temp has been at 92 since treatment began, and I even started dosing the tank with B-complex vitamins per the recommendation of Andrew Soh.

I'm not quite panicking yet, but its now approaching about 3 weeks that these guys haven't eaten, so I'm a little bit concerned. Sometimes they at least seem interested in the food, other times they just ignore it completely. I haven't seen white poop since the metro treatment ended, so I'm pretty sure that it was effective. Their behavior and demeanor is normal in every other way.

So I just wanted to see if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve as far as getting these guys to eat. I'm thinking of ordering some CBW to see if that piques their interest. Also, I hear that daphnia is a good food to get a fish back eating due to its smaller size.

Anyway, thoughts are appreciated.

Joe

White Worm
12-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Hey Joe, I'm sorry if you already posted this but,,,What have you tried feeding them?

craniac24
12-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Bloodworms, Mysis, Beefheart and Tetrabits.

I actually thought that of all things, they might start eating the tetrabits, because I saw them picking on the very small particles of the B-complex pills that I ground up! No such luck however.

pcsb23
12-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Joe, Sorry to hear you've 2 still not eating, it is worrying after three weeks. If you can get daphnia try it, it may work. I've used frozen bloodworms, I sometimes get white worms from the lfs but I don't know what the correct name is for them. This may sound crazy but putting a little bit of garlic in their food can help sometimes too!
hth,
Paul.

jeep
12-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Don't worry too much at this point. They can survive much longer without food.

At this point, I would start reducing the temp. I think you will see an improvement in about another week or so. If not then don't hesitate to treat the 2 remaining one again.

craniac24
12-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Isn't the higher temp supposed to stimulate appetite? I wouldn't think reducing the temp would be a good idea until they start eating, but I obviously could be wrong.

jeep
12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
From my experience, my fish have not fully returned to normal until about 10 days after treatment, which means after I reduce the temp. Then they eat like pigs.

Remember... The white stringy poo is not really feces. It's the stomach and intestinal lining that had been eroded by the parasites and the time of recovery depends on the level of damage that was done.

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2005, 05:39 PM
are you seeing any type of feces? ARE they swimming in the middle of the tank?

craniac24
12-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Carol,

I haven't seen any feces from the two in question. They do come out to the middle of the tank from to time, but they also seem to prefer keeping to themselves more often than the others. This didn't really concern me too much...they're the biggest (and most likely the oldest) in the tank, so I assumed more subdued behavior would be normal. And while they do seem more reserved, I wouldn't say that they look "distressed".