PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Digital Thermometer

zelmo
12-28-2005, 03:49 PM
This unit is supposed to be accurate to within +/- 1.5 degrees F. Holy cow! Don't we want to be a bit more accurated than that? Does anyone have experience with this unit? Is it +/- at any time or once you get it set up is it consistent?

RyanH
12-28-2005, 04:18 PM
You get what you pay for.

I own a few of these and I can tell you that the temperature will vary by 2 or 3 degrees from unit to unit.

They aren't bad but I'm a big believer in redundancy. I will also keep a glass thermometer in any tank that I'm using one of these cheap digitals in. The nice thing about them is that they are easier to read from across the room than the glass thermometers.

Also, don't even consider using the suction cup attached to the sensor for longer than a few hours before it is no good anymore if it works for you at all.

hth
-Ryan

zelmo
12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I own a few of these and I can tell you that the temperature will vary by 2 or 3 degrees from unit to unit.

Thanks, but does that mean once you get one installed it will read consistently plus or minus? In other words, if tank temp is 86 and it reads 84, will it always be minus 2?

RyanH
12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks, but does that mean once you get one installed it will read consistently plus or minus? In other words, if tank temp is 86 and it reads 84, will it always be minus 2?

That's been my experience, yes.

I know which of mine run warm and which run cool. So I tend to do a quick little math problem in my head whenever I'm looking at them. :D

zelmo
12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks. I can live with that.

cobaltblue
12-29-2005, 03:26 AM
i have three of them in my tanks....one in each. Very satisfied with them. I check them manually once in a while and they are usually bang on.

Mack
12-29-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree with cobaltblue, I use them in all my tanks and I often check with a laser sensor and they are right on.

billeagan
12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I use them and love them. if mine are ever off its a matter of tenths. I recommend purchasing them.

alpine
12-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Mack, that is a Good idea. I am going to bring my Raytech laser infrared thermometer from the shop and use it to check the coralalife thermometers. Do you point at the water or the glass ?
I am real pleased with them , evertime I enter the fish room I glance at the readings....

roberto.

RyanH
12-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Man, I wish I had the luck that you guys have. :(

I bought six of them last year and lined them all up on a 55 before I started using them. The temperature readings were close but still varied by about 2 1/2 degrees. I didn't really consider this a major problem and they've turned out to be pretty long-lasting but they weren't that close for me.

I must have gotten a couple of bad ones. :undecided

-Ryan

AFTICA
12-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I got one - kinda disappointed in it... Mine reads about 2 degrees above my glass one - at least it is consistent though!

I also have the Marina digital one by Hagen - first one had a bad LED display - suppose that can happen - brought it back and the exchanged one works perfectly - dead on with the glass thermometer and my digital Polder Probe. - it responds quickly during water changes too...

http://www.petdiscounters.com/product.php?productid=1051236&cat=347&page=1

Mack
12-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Mack, that is a Good idea. I am going to bring my Raytech laser infrared thermometer from the shop and use it to check the coralalife thermometers. Do you point at the water or the glass ?
I am real pleased with them , evertime I enter the fish room I glance at the readings....

roberto.

Roberto:
Doesn't make much difference...if you do it during w/c then hit the water.