PDA

View Full Version : New discus: 12 nickel size Diamonds in 29G

Albanets
12-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi,
I am new here, new to discus and this is the wonderful place to be when you have some particular concerns about the hobby.

I have got 12 nickel size diamonds and acclimatized them in cycled BB 29G.
How long can I keep them there? a week, a month?

I have gravel 55G, so I figured eventually I will have to move babies there. So when? and can I keep the gravel (very thin layer or so)?

Thanks in advance for help. :)

goheel
12-29-2005, 12:37 PM
wow, 12 in a 29 gallon, that's way too overcrowded. You definitely won't be able to grow them into adult size if you keep them in there. I guess you need to start moving them when they reach about 2.5-3" in size.

AADiscus
12-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Welcome to Simply!!! :D

Your nickel size fish will be alright in the 29 for just a little bit larger. Not much though. You will also need to make sure you do daily water changes on them. What is your wc routine with them now?

Some people have planted tanks and some have bb. I prefer the bb (bare bottom). It is alot easier to keep the tank clean. They will do great in a 55 gal when you move them.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I would remove the gravel in the 55. They will less likely to get bacterial infection, eat more and easier to clean.

Elcid
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
What else is in the 55? Grow them to a 1/2 dollar size, then move the best 6 or 8 to the 55 would me my opinion....Let the others catch up in the 29 and move them to the 55 in about 3 or 4 months!

discusdave
12-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi,
I am new here, new to discus and this is the wonderful place to be when you have some particular concerns about the hobby.

I have got 12 nickel size diamonds and acclimatized them in cycled BB 29G.
How long can I keep them there? a week, a month?

I have gravel 55G, so I figured eventually I will have to move babies there. So when? and can I keep the gravel (very thin layer or so)?

Thanks in advance for help. :)

What you need to consider is how much/how often you are feeding in addition to the tank size. Small discus need to be fed 3-4 times a day, and that much excess food and waste generated will foul water in a tank very quickly. If you are starting to grow these BDs out, then you will have to monitor water quality and perform regular large water changes on this tank and remove excess food/waste.

Feeding less than 3-4 times a day and you run the chance of stunting their growth.

Your 55 gallon will allow more variance in your water change schedule than a 29. Greater volumes of water are more forgiving of our mistakes, so personally, I'd put them in the 55 now.

A smaller tank that gets frequent water changes is basically the equivalent of a larger volume tank. For example, a 55 gallon that receives a total of 300% weekly water changes is probably the system equivalent, as far as the growth of the fish is concerned, of a 75 gallon tank getting 200% weekly water changes, all other maintenance chores being equal.

I believe that ultimately, for growing out 12 BDs to adulthood, you'd need a 75 gallon tank minimum and a dedicated water change/vacuum out the waste regimen.

I have a group of 12 leopard snakeskins I am growing out in a 75 that receives a 200-300% weekly water change and once/twice daily spot vacuumings of uneaten food and fish waste. This seems to be working well for them right now.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave

Mack
12-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd take the gravel out of the 55 and think about putting them there if you can. And still do large water changes on them and they will grow fine. I grow fry out in 55's until 2-3" and then move them to 75's and they grow just fine.

Alight
12-29-2005, 03:02 PM
8 adult Discus in a 55 is a pretty tight squeeze. I have 6 in mine, and it seems very crowded. Keep in mind that at one year, these fish will be 6 inches or larger in diameter.

I'd do as Mack suggests and put all 12 in the 55, make it bare bottom, and grow them to about 3 inches, then take the best 8 and sell or give away the other 4, then wait till the 8 pair off and keep no more than 6 of these. I wish I could make up my mind on my pairs, and keep only 2 in my 55 planted tank. This would fill up the tank!

Albanets
12-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Thank you very much! I though too that it will be overcrowded pretty soon. They are very small though.
I have 3 adult angels and a pleco in the 55G tank. Guess I will have to remove angels and gravel, move discus babies in as soon as possible and meanwhile do 20-40% water changes a day in 29G...
Does it sound right?
Thanks again!

Elcid
12-29-2005, 06:15 PM
You should completely clean out and disinfect the 55 before you plan on moving those babies; nickel size discus can be very sensitive! How long have they been in the 29? As long as you change water daily 25 to 50% and feed them frequently 6 to 8 times a day if possible :) I don't think ur gonna have much trouble keeping them in the 29 gallon another couple of months....That should give you enough time to prepare ur 55 gallon suitable for discus. In Asia they frequently grow babies to 5" in 29 gallon tanks, of course, they change the water 100% daily. I'm not suggesting you do this since you have the 55 though!

Albanets
12-30-2005, 01:13 AM
thanks for the answer! Month or two sounds great.
I will start to prepare 55G; but how should I disinfect it? It is cycled, so i do not want to destroy a biofilter. Perhaps Metronidazole or something like that?

Albanets
12-30-2005, 01:14 AM
I forgot to mention that I just got them today, so its their first day in 29G.

pcsb23
12-30-2005, 04:40 AM
thanks for the answer! Month or two sounds great.
I will start to prepare 55G; but how should I disinfect it? It is cycled, so i do not want to destroy a biofilter. Perhaps Metronidazole or something like that?
You will need to re-establish the bio filter for that tank. Put a second filter in your 29g tank and get it pre-conditioned and ready to go. To disinfect your tank use either potassium permanganate or hydrogen peroxide. Make sure it is rinsed and dried thouroughly before putting in water. I use kitchen papaer to clean with! Once you are ready to go put the second filter from the 29g tank back into your 55g and it should be good to go, then add the fish!
hth,
Paul.

Elcid
12-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Okay 1st day :)....How are they doing? Are they all feeding and chasing each other around? What's the temp in ur 29 gallon? Do you have an established biofilter for it?

Albanets
12-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Yes, they are all good, all are eating froazen bloodworms and flakes and chasing each other. Fins are NOT clamped. Could not get them to eat beef heart and brine shrimp though. Very picky fish :) Temperature - 82F, bifilter is established.

I have decided to do 20% WC in the morning and 20% the evening, feeding 4 times a day.

Many people use aged water, preheated and aerated for WCs. I think it make sense only if you are changing 50% or more at once. If you change say 25%, water pH and temperature would not change dangerously... IMHO :)

Elcid
12-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Ur temp is too low IMO :) But since the fish are doing well don't change a thing!;)

April
12-30-2005, 03:39 PM
are the filters or sponges you have on them now cycled? be careful..that the filters dont get overtaxed..doing twice daily wcs should be good. if your filters your using now are cycled..then when you move the fish to the 55..use those sponges or filters. you can also start running another hydro sponge in that small tank now to get it established ready for the move. use the filters you have now on the 55 on whichever tank you move your angels and pleccos to. keep the fishes filters with the same fish . the filters that the angels and pleccos are using now..could carry something that your discus dont want or like.Dont disinfect any filters..as then they will be dead. take everything out of the 55..bleach it..rinse it twice..and let it airdry. when you do add water..use a good chlorine and chloramine eliminator like amquel or prime to make sure no bleach. bleach dissipates when it dries..then your good to go. move the babies..with the water they are in..in the small tank..and the filter..and then add new water to fill..then its like you just did a big wc. they shouldnt even blink.
welcome to simplydiscus. : )
follow your wc rules..and dont introduce any new discus or other fish from lfs or other breeders..and do your daily wcs..and keep any uneaten food off the bottom and they should thrive. as long as they are coming up begging..and eating well..dont worry about a thing. just keep your water parameters even.

Albanets
12-30-2005, 07:02 PM
nice :)
I will do exactly as you advice. Thanks a lot!

Timbo
12-30-2005, 08:22 PM
welcome to the bored err...board

thats good advice from April.

86F is more the norm that most ppl here keep their tanks at and aging the w\c water in a container is much better than straight from the tap for a couple reasons.

good luck with the fish and keep us posted !
-Tim

discus2010
01-09-2006, 06:38 PM
PUT UP PICTURES I WANT TO SEE THEM ALL:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Albanets
01-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Moved them to BB 55G. I thought there were 12 fishes , found 17. How come?? Did they spawn and raise fry overnight??:D

Today they ate from my hands, so I guess everything is fine. Did not loose a single fish in 2 weeks. Healthy stock!

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Moved them to BB 55G. I thought there were 12 fishes , found 17. How come?? Did they spawn and raise fry overnight??:D

Today they ate from my hands, so I guess everything is fine. Did not loose a single fish in 2 weeks. Healthy stock!

Hey ....... you did better than i did ,.,,,, lol

I thought i had 20 and one died so i thought i had 19 .......... did a head count tonight and only 16 ...... lol.

I hope i didnt suck any out draining water :p

Alight
01-13-2006, 02:36 PM
It is really hard to count groups of fish in a tank. I almost always underestimate the number. I only know how many when I net them out in numbers under 7 at a time and put them in another tank!

Went to a talk by Dick Au last night. Much like AB has said, he believes that Discus actually do better when packed into a tank. As many as 40 or more in a 30 gallon tank, even up to 2 inches each, as long as water quality is good. Of course this would require a constant change system (constant flow of fresh water). So the number of Discus in a tank is related to water changes, not to tank size.

Also, he felt that the temperature should be lower than many advocate. He feels that male Discus lose fertility when the temperature goes much above 88 F.

These are not necessarily my views, BTW--just passing it on.