PDA

View Full Version : in-line heater

mmoroz
12-29-2005, 04:55 PM
I have an Eheim classic filter, and want to connect an in-line heater to its output. My choice is between Hydor ETH 200W and Lifegard (where I'd put my Visi Therm Stealth 100W). The tank is tiny, so my only concern is to minimize the chance of a disaster in case thermostats fail.

Which setup would you recommend?

I may also have an Aqua Logic controller added later, which will "override" the thermostat in the heater.

Also, I know it's hard to connect Lifegard to Eheim -- did anyone try it?

Thanks!

AFTICA
12-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Hooking the Lifeguard to the Eheim may be a bit rough - Which Eheim model is it exactly? (or better yet - is it the 12mm or 16mm Eheim hose your using?)

The Hydor inline 200 uses 1/2" hose (12mm) and the Hydor 300 inline uses 5/8" hose (16mm)...

The Temperature controller is a great idea - one that you won't regret! I use the Medusa single stage temperature controller... Shalu uses the Aqualogic IIRC and he has not had a hitch with it in 3 years.

On a side note - the Aqualogic unit is simply a re-labeled (and prewired) Ranco. You can buy a Ranco to do the same - but you would need to do a little waterproofing on the probe (unless you get one pre-altered like at drsfostersmith.com etc or ) - only like the bottom 2 inches is waterproof but you can use a little Loctite Colorguard or Plasti-Dip. - and a little wiring on your own - if your not sure on that get a Aqualogic or a Medusa.

The Medusa got a temp alarm as well - if the temp goes 3 degrees above or below the set point (or the medusa fails) all hell breaks loose lol...

mmoroz
01-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks Aftica! I am using the Eheim Classic 2213. Its hose is labelled as 12/16 mm. What does it mean?.. :confused:

I just bought the AquaLogic controller, so I am no longer afraid to leave the heater unattended! :)

I figured Medusa's sound alarm wouldn't help me, since most of the time I'm not at home. Now, if a controller paged me on the cell in case of a problem, it'd be real useful, but then it'd cost a fortune!..

If I could also remove the Aqualogic sensor probe from the tank, it would be great. Then I'd have no wires or equipment inside the tank at all. But is it a good idea to try and fit both the heater and the controller probe into the Lifegard heater module?

I think if I really want to do that, I should buy a second Lifegard heater module, assuming it can hold the probe.

AFTICA
01-01-2006, 11:36 AM
the 2213 uses the 12mm (1/2") tubing so your choice of the Hydor ETH 200W would be fine in my opinion.

Had to laugh about paging - as I am sure there is/are systems over at automatedaquariums that do that. lol

If you did go with the lifeguard... I would not put the probe and the heater in the same module. I think the lifeguards are a bit overkill in this case... I have a friend with one - but he has the whole setup on a very large tank..