PDA

View Full Version : A question about salt and microsiemens

PamelaJ
12-31-2005, 08:45 PM
When doing a salt treatment in one of my tanks, I noticed that my TDS seems to get incredibly high. Over a week long treatment, adding back salt for each water change, my microseimens have climbed to 1800+. Should I be concerned about this?

Ardan
12-31-2005, 10:07 PM
HI,
Tds will climb with the addition of salt. High minerals = high tds.

what are you treating for?
what is the salt concentration you are using? (how many tblsp/gal)

when you do a wc, how much salt do you add back?
i.e. if you change 20 gallons, how much salt are you adding.?

Ardan

PamelaJ
01-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi Ardan. Thanks for the reply.

I've given them 1 tbsp per 10 gallons recently for suspected flukes until I can get some Formalin.

When I do a water change, say 50 gallons, I add back 5 tbsp.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks
Pamela

Ardan
01-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi,
Sounds like you are doing things right. I was going to do a test with my tds meter, but my batteries are dead. I will have to get new ones tomorrow.
I did read your other post in the disease section too.
the med you have I believe and agree with George (Discusgeo) that it has copper in it.
I also agree with George that a better med would be formalin for flukes. It will also help if there are other parasites. This would be better than what you are using. imo

hth
Ardan

pcsb23
01-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Pamela, don't worry about a reading of 1800 when using salt, It can safely double that.
Paul.

Carol_Roberts
01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
TDS is short for Total Disolved "Solids". It measures everything disolved in the water. Salt does not raise hardness or pH. A TDS of 1800 from salt is fine, from iron is not. This is why it's important to know what is disolved in the water.

Northwestcoastdisc
01-02-2006, 01:16 AM
I agree with Carol and Ardan

what is about the marine salt ?

Duncan

pcsb23
01-02-2006, 05:50 PM
what is about the marine salt ?

Duncan,
Salt used to make sea water for reef tanks and sea salt are both perfectly fine for using in freshwater aquariums. Some table and cooking salts contain other chemicals that may harm the fish.
hth,
Paul.