PDA

View Full Version : 2 sets of eggs

redchecker
12-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Well like I said last week I had my first set of eggs. Unfortunately they didn't survive past 3 days. I saw the parents clearing out a new place to lay eggs this week and when I went to bed last night I fully expected to find eggs this morning. Well to my delight the other pair of discus decided they were going to lay there eggs on the other side of the tank on an area they had cleaned. So now I have 2 sets of discus eggs in my 55gl . The tank is very peaceful now. I removed the other discus from the tank and it seems like each pair is respecting the others place. I have the tank planted and they seem to agree that the center plants set the boundary of the tank. I just thought I'd share. When I can get pictures I will post.

cobaltblue
12-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Congrats Red. I have had similar situations, unfortunatley my fish are young and it hasnt worked out yet. Plus, i am in a community tank with 9 discus in it, so chances are they wont survive anyway. Good luck to you though. Im looking forward to seeing your pictures.:)

redchecker
12-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Are you planning on coming out to Gold Mountain anytime soon? I noticed your post and when you come out let me know because I live about 10-15 miles from Frank at Gold Mountain. Maybe we could meet up and talk fish. Frank has some nice fish. I have been out to his place.

cobaltblue
01-01-2006, 06:25 AM
im in the process of getting a brand new all glass 125 gallon tank. I put the deposit on it today and its being ordered for me. I already have sponges cycling in my other tanks, so once it is up and going, i will be visiting frank to see his fish. Probably mid to late jan. Will let you know. that would be fun.

Greg Richardson
01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Chris. Have you ever taken them across the border?
Have u researched this?
Have heard different stories. Since things change a lot If I were u I'd do some research before u came just to be sure.

I'd hate to have to drive up to the border and grab your fish so u could go back home. Really I would. LOL!

What type of tank u decide on?

redchecker
01-01-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree be careful with the tougher border crossing rules. I have heard it is easier to take domestic fish across the border as long as you have a bill of sale. Just make sure the bill is not to high so you don't get charged the tax. If the fish were wild you would have to get fish and game involved. Just check to protect yourself and your new fish.

redchecker
01-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Well one set of eggs are all white. It was the first timers on the left side of the tank. The other pair which it is their 2nd spawn is still looking good. No white eggs at all.

cobaltblue
01-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Greg, thanks for the heads up on border crossing. I did bring 4 fish home from Macs discus in wash st. back in September. Have the rules changed since then? I had checked with Canada customs before i went down and they had no issues with ornamental fish. Just had to pay gst tax when entering back into canada. Hopefully it hasnt change. I really want some of those orange scorpians as well for my new tank. I am picking up my 125g All Glass next week. Should be able to have fish in it pretty quick, as i have extra sponges already on the go in my other tanks.

Has anyone heard anything about that new fluval filter...i thin its called the fx5 or something like that? Its a very large filter for big tanks. ...I think i will start a new thread on this. Thanks all.

redchecker
01-03-2006, 02:47 AM
All eggs have been eaten. O for 2 now. Well I look forward to next Sunday to see if they lay again.

cobaltblue
01-03-2006, 03:11 AM
Keep your chin up. They will get it right eventually. Patience is the key.

Sidenote...my two females are 0 for 7....dont know whats wrong....lol. I havnt had the heart to break them up...they love each other so much. Today they both laid eggs at the same time....Probably 150 eggs between them. When i get my new tank i will separate them.

Greg Richardson
01-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Chris. Good to hear about the border. U should be good to go then.
When u went to Macs Discus u were about only 25 minutes from my house.

cobaltblue
01-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Too bad i didnt realize that. Next time i come down, ill give you a pm and see if we can get together. I plan a trip to franks at gold mtn within the month. I hope to meet "red checker" as he lives near there also.:)

trusty
01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Good luck buddy.... they get it right...;p

hexed
01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Congrats on your pairs!
Give them time to learn, it can take serveral tries. Patience is the key :)
Frank