PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my juveniles

Y0uH0
01-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,
I have about 9 juveniles in my community tank and when i first bought them,the first food i gave them was frozen bloodworms. Ever since then,they seem to be hooked on bloodworms,only eating when bloodworms are fed. I do feed other food like tetra flakes,pellets and freeze dried brine shrimp however they seemed to have never taken a single bite out of these other foods.I have heard of a couple of suggestions regarding feeding but i am not sure about which i should follow.

Firstly,i've heard suggestions about depriving them of the bloodworms that they only eat and continue feeding them the other types of food.By doing so,i will be indirectly starving them as the bloodworms are all they eat.Is this advisable since they are still juveniles and i understand that juveniles have to be fed about 4 times a day.

Secondly my question is,if i were to starve them,what is the maximum time period i can starve them before i give in and feed bloodworms again if they are still not eating the other food.

I also heard others suggest that i should just continue feeding them bloodworms just that the first meal of the day should be that of other food.In other words,i can feed bloodworms as usual but it will only be fed in the later part of the day.

I am not sure about which kind of suggestion to take up and how to go about doing it. I need your help guys as you all are more experienced than me.

Thanx alot in advance,i really appreciate any advice from you all.All i want is for my discus to be healthy.

pcsb23
01-01-2006, 11:51 AM
personally don't think you should starve juvies. Make the first feed of the day one of the other foods and maybe even the second.
hth,
Paul.

Greg Richardson
01-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Try soaking some tetrabits or flake in bloodworms.
Make sure no worms go in after soaked well.
Eventually throw some non soaked food in with soaked once they start eating.

Feed first of day.

I've had your problem before.
All it takes is getting one to eat another food.
Then more join in.

Took me 7 months in one tank to get everyone to eat whatever I throw in there.

I know it's very frustrating indeed.

Have to be consistant to get results.

Carol_Roberts
01-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Yes, feed tetrabits first meal of day. Leave in tank, feed bloodworms sparingly later in day. Healthy juveniles in a clean tank with clean water will eat tetrabits and not starve themselves. Apetite is the first thing to go if water and tank are not clean.

Y0uH0
01-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Thx alot everyone,i'll give it a try,help me pray that they'll start accepting other foods.:)

trusty
01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
mine eat everything but they leave the bloodworms but my second tank they cant get enough go figure just feed them lil pigs so they can get grande...