PDA

View Full Version : I've got a mystery in my tank

Nina Kiernan
01-02-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm new to the forums but not new to discus. I've had a 125 gal. discus tank set up (not the same set-up) for the past 30 years. My current tank is about 15 years old. I have run into something that is not described in any of the discus sights I have been two. Every so often my discuss will get one or two white spots (mostly the spots are on the fish's sides but not by the tail). The spots start out as a pimple looking thing (but not red or inflamed) and in a couple of days it will look like a white worm (1/4 inch long) protruding from the body. Sometimes they will develop these on the head area and it will leave a hole like "hole in the head". There is no erratic swimming, no rubbing or itching. When the spots start, the fish are in good color, eating well, don't hang in the back or at the surface. Here's my short list of stats:
-- Right now I have 5 discus, 2 clown loaches, and some cardinal tetras.
-- The tank is well planted
-- Water is RO (Tap Water Purifier)
-- Main filter is a Magnum 350 with biowheels + a Aquaclear 300
-- I change water frequently and test, test, test.
-- At most phosphate is my only reading that imay be high. Amonio - O, Nitrate and Nitrite are ok
-- I use Black Water Extract; vitamins, Discus essential, etc.
-- Ph is 6.8
-- Temp is about 84
-- Fish color is great, they are active and eating well.
-- Food is frozen blood worms, live brine shrimp, live worms (sometimes)
-- I gravel siphen, have a manageable amount of algae, use compact phlorescent lighting, etc.

I have had sick fish before and pulled them through with things like Kanacin, hexamit, etc. None of the pictures of heximita, spiro, or hole in the head look like these white spots. Nor do any of the disease descriptions I have read. Can anyone help? Sometimes treating the tank with formalin helps, sometimes not. Have not have much luck with anything else except maybe "General Cure" and I'm not real sure about that. But I think I was successful mostly through hit and miss. I raise the temp etc. I have had some discuss live 5-8 years and this thing crops up it's ugly head about once a year. I can't get close enough to see if the worm like thing has two heads.

Got any ideas? I just lost one fish (in a hospital tank) and now I see another is just starting to develop a white spot on its side. Got a suggestion? I hope so. Tanks for any reply or help you can give.

Here's my mystery: .

goheel
01-02-2006, 06:32 PM
do you have any pic of the fish that has the disease?

pcsb23
01-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Nina,
From what you've described it sounds as though youre fish have a parasite such as lernaea, try treating with Praziquantel in a qt tank.
hth,
Paul.

April
01-02-2006, 07:11 PM
are the spots on the lateral line? are they worms? theres hookworm..or it could be pustules. Planted tanks i believe...are more susceptible to this. no matter how much you vacuum..theres still alot of organics and waste . some people have a second tank..and rest their fish from planted tanks..
I think perhaps Brewmaster could be of help. do they still eat ? not wasting?
Welcome to simplydiscus by the way. hope you can get your answers. ill direct brewmaster or Al to this post.

brewmaster15
01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
That sounds alot like intramuscular Nematodes... One of our Moderators Barb Newell dealt with something similar years ago,...She went as far as having a lab workup done and they came back with the diagnosis.. Barb may be able to better advise if this is the same..

At the least..I think you may be dealing with a parasite of some kind.. and think it may be worthwhile to try a broad spectrum medicine like Clout. This I would use when the fish physically has the "worm" sticking up.. This followed by a good dewormer may help, but its hard to tell what it is at this point.

can you get any pictures?

Hth,
al

Carol_Roberts
01-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Next time you see it net the fish and rub the bump between thumb and forefinger. Is it solid like a worm or does if feel like solid pus from a zit? If pus, then water conditions are less than optimum. Certain discus will get them over and over. Try moving affected discus to a bare bottom hospital tank with daily water changes

Jason
01-03-2006, 06:34 AM
I'd try a dose of levasimol, its fairly mild and IME its safe enough to use prophalacticly for worms.

Alight
01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
All of the above is good info, and probably will find you a cure. One thing in your tank description worried me a bit. You're using RO water only? If you have a good RO filter, this means you would have virtually no Calcium and Magnesium, or any other trace elements in your water. This is not good. The Discus essential will make up for some of this, but not all of it.

Can you test the GH of your water? If it is less than 1, you might think about adding in some RO right, or other additives, or simply add in some tap water if you have hard tap water.

I'm a bit surprised you don't have very low kH and pH stability problems. If your GH is really low, I'd also be surprised if you're not seeing problems with your plants as well.

You probably know all of this, and have it under control, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.