PDA

View Full Version : Hydo Sponge Filter - How do they work?

Suzanne
01-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Can anyone explain to me how these work - or why they work?

I've just set one up - I guess I'm use to a filter where the water is pushed
through - doesn't seem to be the case here unless of course I'm doing something wrong?!

susankay1
01-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Can anyone explain to me how these work - or why they work?

I've just set one up - I guess I'm use to a filter where the water is pushed
through - doesn't seem to be the case here unless of course I'm doing something wrong?!

The bubbles moving up through the center of the sponge pull the water in through the sponge. The good bacteria colony lives in the pores of the sponge and as the water moves through the sponge, the bacteria eat the nasties in the water and send out clean water. That is pretty simplified but it's basically the way it works. Im sure some of the more experienced people can give you all the technical terms as to how it works. HTH Susan

RyanH
01-03-2006, 01:39 AM
As Susan said, the filter provides an enormous substrate for nitrifying bacteria.

They are IMO, the most efficient biological filter that you can use in a fish tank.

-Ryan

goheel
01-03-2006, 03:00 AM
does anyone have a pic of how to set up a sponge filter? I've never used one before and thinking about trying it.

cobaltblue
01-03-2006, 03:15 AM
here is a diagram....its pretty easy. Hope this helps.

ps. i find dropping the air stone ( which you do not have to use, but i like it) down near the bottom works better.

goheel
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
sorry, I can't really see the pic.

Suzanne
01-03-2006, 10:58 AM
that makes sense then if I drop the airstone - otherwise it seems to me that the air just floats up without going through the sponge - thanks so much
- yes the diagrams a bit small

Suzanne
01-03-2006, 11:08 AM
don't want to appear foolish but what's IMO?

goheel
01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
don't want to appear foolish but what's IMO?

in my opinion.

RyanH
01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
that makes sense then if I drop the airstone - otherwise it seems to me that the air just floats up without going through the sponge - thanks so much
- yes the diagrams a bit small

Hi Suzanne

Anytime you have air going up the lift tube it's going to "push" water up as well. This creates a current which causes waterflow through the sponge. I agree with Cobalt though about airstones. I like them and use them in all of my Hydros.

hth
-Ryan

Suzanne
01-04-2006, 12:16 AM
thanks all, just added the airstone today