PDA

View Full Version : Breeding the pepper away

OIF03VET
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Hello, if I start out with a pair of Pigeon Bloods that have some peppering, would it be possible to get clean PBs down the road, ie breeding the less peppered fry with each other?:confused:

Resinman
01-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I have experieced that yes some of the fry come up cleaner. I hear rumor one of the ways they clear up the peppering is by exposing the young to UV lighting for awhile. I am not completely sure this is accurate but maybe someone elase here on the site can confirm it.

lauren0626
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I have a pair of PBs with little peppering, too! And I was wondering the same thing!
I read an article somewhere online saying that to keep the tank light on for a week could help with reducing the peppering? Don't know if it's true.

Resinman
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
No leaving the lights on will not reduce it at all. When my Adults have fry the lights are on 24 hours a day. If you are talking about peppering that occurs in Marlboro pidgeon bloods you are going to find that pair will produce all kinds of different prodogy. Everything from heavily peppered prominantly blue fish all the way to almost totally clean fish that are close to meleons. Just be patient and always seperate the fish you want to pair off from the ones you don't ;)

OIF03VET
01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Good answer, I was just trying to figure out if I want to breed my PBs. I am not totally turned off by the pepering, but after seeing some really clean PBs, clean is the way I want to go. I saw them at Number 1 Aquariums in Santa Ana, CA. They have some beautiful discus, but they are all med to large size. I like small fish to start out with.

Resinman
01-05-2006, 05:19 PM
If you have the patience to wait I agree getting them young is great. Some of us have a green thumg in growing fish out. Recently I have accelerated my programm by focusing my purchasing of fish to 8-11 months from quality breeders. It just gives me a kick start to getting pairs. Besides I do not mind paying good money for outstanding fish. It pays for itself the first batch of babies.

Kenny's Discus
01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Quote:
"Hello, if I start out with a pair of Pigeon Bloods that have some peppering, would it be possible to get clean PBs down the road, ie breeding the less peppered fry with each other"

-cross it with an albino.

:-)

Kenny

grelot
01-05-2006, 08:56 PM
in adrew soh's book, it says to cross it to a pale colored brown discus with transparent fins ant tail.

lauren0626
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Quote:
"Hello, if I start out with a pair of Pigeon Bloods that have some peppering, would it be possible to get clean PBs down the road, ie breeding the less peppered fry with each other"

-cross it with an albino.

:-)

Kenny

Hi Kenny,
What if for naturally paired PBs? Any way to reduce peppers?
Thanks,
Lauren

Kenny's Discus
01-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Lauren - Resinman said it best and I agreed. Provided if you pair have some other genes in its prior generation(they might look totally PB but may still contain other genes) they will throw all kinda babies. I would say the majority will still be PB and some will be cleaner while others will be more peppered. I've mentioned in prior post that when I cross a very dirty looking PB male with a RT female years ago they end up throwing some very beautiful straited pigeons. Hope this helps.

Kenny
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45944

Here they are again. These are the PB x RT babies(not so babies anymore lol):

John_Nicholson
01-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes if you are patient and keep inbreeding the cleanest to the cleanest you will clean them up. You have to remember that every PN on the planet goes back to one single fish. All of the different types have been selectively bred by someone that had a certain type in mind.

-john

lauren0626
01-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Kenny,
Gorgeous pair! I wish my PB pair would produce some nice babies, too! I'm moving them to their own tank this weekend!

Kenny's Discus
01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Lauren - best of luck to your pair and please keep us informed on their progress.

Kenny

justafishguy
01-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Loverboy-great looking fish. Have they spawned any wigglers yet?

Kenny's Discus
01-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Sorry to tell you this Justafishguy but they were all wiped out years ago when our water department(CA) decided to do a Chloramine test run at night without notifying the public.......thank you though.

:-(
Kenny

lauren0626
01-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Sorry to tell you this Justafishguy but they were all wiped out years ago when our water department(CA) decided to do a Chloramine test run at night without notifying the public.......thank you though.

:-(
Kenny
:( :confused: :mad: :angry:
Anyway to avoid this next time? Will add some water conditioner work?
Lauren

Kenny's Discus
01-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Lauren - oh yeah always premix water conditioner(e.g. Prime) into the new water b4 adding them to your tank should take care of any Chloramine your water may contain. It just wasn't needed b4 the water department decided to use Chloramine.

Kenny

OIF03VET
01-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Lauren,
I mix 1/2 tblsp of each, NovAqua+, AmQuel+ and a table spoon of Discus Buffer (this gets my water to a nice 6.2~6.4ph) into a 5 gallon jug with a little water, give it a good shake and mix in the rest of the water at 87degrees to match the tank water. I put the jug above the tank and siphon it through a small tube. It sounds like a lot but it prevents the fish from discomfort and shock.

justafishguy
01-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Loverboy-sorry to hear that, but nice to see you survived!