PDA

View Full Version : Unsure

architect1
01-08-2006, 12:00 AM
hello I've had discus for 2 years now one big guy to see if I could do it. now I ave 4 blue dimands in a 55 gallon. 2 are 5" and never leave oneanother alone. 1 is almost 4" and then theres the dwarf his still almost 3" witch I don't know why hes ben sepperated and feed only blood worms cause thats all he eats. I dont know what to do the 2 big ones also pic on the middle one and I can't have the 2 small ones together. please help me.

The other question is I have 100g Tall tank going up right now I was wondering whats the proper amount to put in it everyone has there secrits and expo I would just like peoples in put. My tanks run at a Ph of 7.6 and at 85 to 89 degrees and 2 times a week water change at 30% and it works.

please help me anyone

pcsb23
01-08-2006, 07:30 AM
hi there, basic rule is 1 discus per 10 gals, this normally meand adult discus. so in a 55 you could have 5 or 6 depending on w/c routine and feeding. In a 100g tank then 10. When you say never leave oneanother alone, I'm guessing its head to head stuff. Sounds like they are sorting the pecking order out, hence picking on the other fish. When you put them in your 100g tank i'd add two or three more discus (after qt'ing them) of around the 4 to 5 inch size. w/c rotine is ok at 30% twice a week but thats the minimum ime that you should be doing, still a light load and big tank helps! Good luck and enjoy,
Paul.

architect1
01-08-2006, 12:33 PM
I got the rena filstar xp3 for the big one and now I'm weighting on light blue stone I find it works well with the discus and I enjoy the planted tanks but I ive been reading that they will bread better with out planted. so I'm really 8unsure what to do with the big tank. any thought

pcsb23
01-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Well there are a lot of people on this forum who are devotees of bb tanks (no plants, gravel i.e bare bottom) and for breeding and grow out and qt etc, I wouldn't do anything else. However a 100g tank should imo be a display tank, and is too big for breeding as such. Most people use 20 to 40gal tanks for breeding. the xp3 is ok as a filter I have one running on a reef tank. I have two pairs spawning in my planted display tank, now as I write, one lot of eggs on the back wall and the other two were doing dry runs (last night), the only prb is the other fish will eat the eggs!!! My advice is set the 100 up as a display with or without plans, thats your call, bb are easier to look after but not as pretty imo. Use your 55 to breed in after youve got some extra discus. You could also use is as qt tank too!!
Look to the sponsors here for discus, whilst I'm in th UK and have not got any of their stock, I've read only good stuff about them.
Breeding costs a lot of time, effort and money, so make sure it is what you want to do before you get into it - sorry don't mean to lecture just it sounds cool to breed discus but it is darned hard work!!
Either way, enjoy your discus, and I should have welcolmed you, so Welcome to Simply!!
All the best,
Paul.

architect1
01-09-2006, 09:43 AM
thank you for the info so hears a pic of my planted 55 gallon C:\Documents and Settings\brandens\My Documents\My Pictures\my discus see if that works I never posted a pic befor if not I'll email it. So plant my big tank with the plants from my 55 and empty my 55g so its bar bottom. I was thinking of a 30 in the bottom for a hospital or breeding tank I love plants with my fish gives them something to play In I find. So if I do have a pair and they want to breed what steps would I go through to make the eggs hatch and survive.

pcsb23
01-09-2006, 10:11 AM
No pic. The link below should show how to post them.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=21447

30 gal for qt/hospital/breeding is perfect imo.

As for eggs etc, well there is a host of info on here in the breeding section, first though lets get the 100 sorted!!

Paul.

architect1
01-09-2006, 11:16 AM
ok hears a pic don't know how small it will be but I'll try.

architect1
01-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I got 2 more tank mates in my 55g to bring it up to 6 and omg. The little discus has a full stumic finally. now I'm just weighting on him to change color and eyes go back to being normal. How long will it take him to catch up in size. Will he always be smaller since he did not grow with the other disucs?