PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cal Group

Ichthyology
01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I will try this again. If anyone is interested in getting a Southern Cal Discus group together plase PM me. I had a few contact me previously and one person said they would try to get it off the ground but haven't heard anything since....

OIF03VET
01-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Lets get this thing off the ground people. I know a lot of people in here would benifit from this, plus it would be fun!

discus4life
01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
what is the group for?

OIF03VET
01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
It would probably be like a live version of this message board. It is what people did before there was an internet.

Ichthyology
01-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I was thinking more of meeting at someone's house and/or visit breeders in the area...share successes, advice, etc.

Alan
01-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey Anthony! How's everything going?

Your idea sounds good. Update me on what the interest is. You can count me in.

OIF03VET
01-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Thats what I ment, my parents were in an aquarium club many years ago.
Ok so now we have three people that definatly are in.
Anyone else?:D

Ichthyology
01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
So....what is the plans......where is everyone from? When and where should we meet?

I live in Fountain Valley..work in Aliso Viejo.

Alan
01-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Ummm... your house, 3 pm, sunday, feb. 5... and get your big screen tv ready :D j/k

OIF03VET
01-28-2006, 05:06 PM
I live in Fullerton and my G/F lives in La Puente. I will be out of town this week, going to Arkansas for work, I will be back next weekend.

kahunabill
01-30-2006, 02:48 AM
I'd definitely be interested! Meet/hear others who are growing/breeding discus. trade some, buy some, etc.

Ichthyology
01-31-2006, 01:27 AM
Unfortunately I will be in Idaho doing research in a firends lab and will probably miss the Super Bowl this year. If you all are truly interested, let's start proposing a date, time, and place...

Serbi
02-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Anthony.... count me in as well.....

Remember me? The fish I got from you are doing ok.... the Siam Gold is growing nicely...

Anyway..... what does every-one think about Sunday afternoons as a good time to meet?

Serban

Serbi
02-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I've seen some people order discus in groups to cut down on the shipping charges. Gold Mountain Discus seems to be the "hot breeder" now. He's got some nice leopards....

I live near Pasadena/Glendale.

If other people want to order some fish let me know and we can get them shipped to somebody's house. I'm not usually home during the day... but we can figure something out.

I'd like to put an order in by the end of February (that's when GMDs Spotted Erruptions come out of quarantine).

Serban

Alan
02-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Current Count = 5

Anthony (Ichthyology)
Serban (Serbi) - I know where Eagle Rock is :)
Alan :D
OIF03VET (...)
kahunabill (...)

I think that's a good size to start the group. Let's schedule the first meeting next :gossip:

Ichthyology
02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I will offer my place... (wife will probably freak :) ). I know next weekend is the local fish club meeting...I will be out of town the weekend of President's Day. How about the following Sunday?

Alan
02-06-2006, 01:48 AM
We're looking at the 26th of February, 2006. Most probably in the afternoon, which will last for 1-2 hours? At Anthony's house in Fountain Valley. Sounds like a plan. I'm in. Let's have a group e-mail so we can iron out an outline for the group and the meeting, like exact time, agenda, maybe have goals for the group, name for the group, etc. So when we meet we can discuss the details.

OIF03VET
02-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Its sounds good to me. Sunday afternoons are almost always open. So far I wont be out of town that weekend.By the way my name is Karl.

Serbi
02-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Sun, Feb 26th is OK with me too. How about 2:30pm?

Serban

kahunabill
02-07-2006, 04:26 AM
feb. 26th 2:30 pm is good. I think I'd be the newbie in the group though.

serbi, i sent you an email re: gmd eruptions. I'd be interested in a few. $$$ pricey!

kahunabill@aol.com

Ichthyology
02-07-2006, 12:32 PM
One thing we can discus is bringing in some fish from Asia. I have a discus contact there but just can't afford all the shipping charges, etc.

Serbi
02-07-2006, 08:18 PM
kahunabill.... let's discuss the Wayne Ng eruptions at the meeting. As you can see.... we may be able to bring other cool fish in from Asia since some people have importer permits.

kahunabill
02-11-2006, 12:33 AM
serbi,

that sounds good. Getting my 75 gallon ready!!

OIF03VET
02-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Only about a week left till the meeting, everyone still in? My girlfriend is going to be comming with me. We are going to my sisters B-day party after so she kinda has to go. I'm looking forward to the meeting!

Alan
02-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Current Count = 5

Anthony (Ichthyology)
Alan (that's me)
Karl (OIF03VET) and friend
Billy (kahunabill)

Serban said he can't make it - unless his schedule changes :)

Anyone else?

kahunabill
02-21-2006, 01:15 AM
sorry folks,

my company just asked me to go and do a presentation this weekend. But, I'm dying to know what kinds/sorts of fish you folks want to bring out there!

Ichthyology
02-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Maybe we should postpone this for a week or so to get more poeple. This may not be the best weekend for me anyway (as it turns out). What do you all think?

Serbi
02-23-2006, 02:06 AM
Postponing sounds good to me. Sunday March 12 looks open for me. Is that a better week-end for everyone?

Serbi

Alan
02-23-2006, 05:28 AM
This Sunday, Feb. 25, I won't be available until 3:30 pm onwards. I'm okay on a Sunday afternoon as long as it's not March 19. Postponing it too long may make this idea cold. I'm for March 5 or March 12.

Tek
02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey folk.. add me in this group. Lmk whatever you get set on next meeting? What do neet to bring on the meeting? pack of beer and pack of Red worm of your guys' discus?

Ichthyology
02-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Tentative Schedule for meeting will be 12 March....2:30 pm. We can all sit around my place...talk about fish, look at my fish, and go to a local fish store that has discus.....what do you all think?

Alan
02-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Serbi
02-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Yea.... March 12 is good for me too.

Serban

Ichthyology
02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Will be sending all a PM with directions to my house, etc next week. This time we will not cancell or change it unless something unexpected comes up.

Tek
03-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Sorry guys...I can't make weekend. i got meno from company, i have to work this weekend.

Ichthyology
03-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Please pm me for address and directions to my house if you are interested in getting together this sunday.

Serbi
03-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Are we still getting together on Sun? I just wanna know so I can see what my schedule is.

If there isn't enough interest maybe we should let it go :confused: .....

Serban

Alan
03-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Anthony,

I PM'ed you but I have not received a response. Let me know the venue. If you don't give me your address, I'll search county records :p .

Serbi,

I'm still going regardless. Worse come to worse, it will just be me and Anthony :( . You can still come along so there will be at least 3 of us.

Alan

Tek
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
How's the group meeting last night? Any new idea that you guys want to share?

Alan
03-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Worse comes to worse is our host wasn't able to make it. :sick2: Murphy's Law :(

Get well soon Anthony!

Alan
03-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Let's re-do this again. Everyone interested PM me your e-mail address. I'll set-up a group e-mail. That way everyone will be notified right away for any announcements in case you're too lazy to go to the simply website. The tentative date, time and venue is in the works. Most probably it will still be at Anthony's place.

So, the next step is to PM me and I'll give a headcount. If this really will not push through (as in no one is really interested), I'll post here about it, too.

Some benefits of having a group are:

1. Group order to save on shipping cost
2. Live interaction and exchange of ideas
3. Camaraderie

I'm also thinking of getting speakers if our group gets big enough (Let's see how that goes).

Any other suggestions?

Tek
03-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm still interested... Sign me up again.

Alan
04-15-2006, 12:59 PM
It's just not happening folks. :(

Serbi
04-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Yup... it looks like laziness has won once again.... mine included. At least we know that there is a group of 5-6 people in LA that do keep discus and we can use this board to exchange ideas... put in group orders .... pretty much all the stuff that Alan was mentioning earlier.
Cheers.
Serban

kahunabill
05-02-2006, 12:48 AM
yeah, my bad on the group gathering too. Well, atleast, i can ask what I'd be asking at the gathering.... "whatcha got in your tanks? Who's breeding what, and wanna trade?" :)

OIF03VET
05-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey guys. Well I'll start. I have 5 tanks, only two are for discus though.

I have a 65 tall with 9 discus, 3 red turks, 1 super red turk, a blue diamond, a brilliant blue, a dragon type pigeon blood, a marlboro red type pigeon blood, and one that I have a picture up on here trying to find out what to call him. The tank has 2x250w heaters, a puingin 350 hob, undergravel filter (I know its a no no but I have done good with it for the last 9 months) plenty of fake amazon swords, 3 large pieces of drift wood, 11 rummy nose, 15 rasboras, 5 dwarf flue rainbows, 5 speckled corys and 4 green corrys. I have had the discus for 9 months, only one runt out of the group. I have the lights on timer from 9am-8pm. I do a 90% WC 2 times a week. PH at 6.3. temp ~90f

My other tank is a 18 tall BB with eclipse hood filter, 250w heater with an airstone under it, a sponge filter and a breeding cone. It houses my pair of red turks who spawn every week for the past 3 months, but the eggs have only hatched twice, once the babys fried when my heater took the temp up to 103f, the second time they got eaten by the daddy. They have eggs right now but I think the fungus is gonna get them.

My non discus tanks are a 18t eclipse with angels, neons peppered corys and rasboras. A 20 with tons of fancy guppys(when my discus breeding project isnt working I look at the guppys and get a little hope, breeding is possible). I also have a 42 tall eclipse community, to many types of fish to list, I am waiting for them to die off to convert it to a discus tank.

At this time I dont have anything to offer as far as traids, no where to put anything either, it doesnt mean I am not always looking for good deals.

Ok thats me, whos next?????

tiara1018
05-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh man, I just moved from North County San Diego!! Hope you all have fun!!!

Tiara

OIF03VET
05-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Well Tiara, what you got.;)

kahunabill
05-03-2006, 03:41 AM
I have a 20 gal breeding tank with a blue turq male and leopard female. A 75 gal growout from babies from these two with 4 cloud leps.
Trying to set up another tank for breeding. Slowing breaking down all my planted tanks and focusing on discus. Looking for good pairs!!!

OIF03VET
07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey southern Cali, any more of you like to let us know what sort of setup you have?

whipmark
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Hello All
Does any in this group make Beef heart?

Emperor
07-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself to the So. Cali group. I live in Spring Valley, which is a part of the greater San Diego area. Right now I have a 60gal tank with not much in it... main reason is that I'm trying to get it ready to have another go at sucessfully keeping discus. Please add me to any such "teaching/learning" gatherings list that may be going on in my area.

emperor_abawag@hotmail.com

With best regards,
Emperor

jeff63851
07-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Well, I guess I'll introduce myself...no use hiding :p

I live in the Pasadena area. Well, I am thinking about keeping Discus so I have been lurking around this thread for a month or so. I kept angelfishes, goldfishes, and turtles. I currently have an planted 60 gallon tank with some cherry shrimps. I hope to turn my empty 60 gal. aquarium and another empty 40 gal. aquarium into a Discus tank.

Anyways, I'm glad to see some SoCal people here!

greyhoundfan
07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Breeders and dealers are hard to find in So.Cal.

A friend of mine told me about this place:

I'm not affiliated with this store..BTW.

I plan to visit this store tomm. I'll report back on what I find. I spoke to the owner, he's a cool guy, says he breeds his own discus and has been doing it for 20 years plus.

Westlake aquarium is on Whittier blvd about a mile west of Harbor blvd in the city of La Habra. Phone # is 562-694-3335

OIF03VET
07-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Did any of you ever make it to West Lake yet and talk to Patrick?

greyhoundfan
07-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Did any of you ever make it to West Lake yet and talk to Patrick?

Yes, I did make it over.. sorry for the late report.

He had Blue Diamonds, gold melons, large white diamond pair, Red Turqs, Blue Turps, Snake Skins, Leopards, Cobalts and he was also selling a very nice cobalt pair, big dinner plates. I almost forgot to mention his wilds, he has one beautiful Wild Blue, approx 6".

He's been breeding discus for 30 years and offered me a lot of advice. He keeps his fish at 6.0 PH. He tried to convnice me that I should lower my PH since mine is 7.0.

He had some quality BDs and Gold melons. I left the store with some BDs and Snake skins. The discus he sells are 3" range, he ocasionaly sells breeders.

Alan
07-18-2006, 12:17 PM
...says he breeds his own discus and has been doing it for 20 years plus...

...He's been breeding discus for 30 years and offered me a lot of advice...

Maybe next communication it will be 40 years plus? :D :p

OIF03VET
07-18-2006, 04:33 PM
How are your new fish doing? I was in there on Sat or Sunday. I try to go over there every week or so just to see if he has brought anything cool from home. Arent his fish beautiful, for juvies the colors are awsome. I have been eyeing those Blue Diamonds for a few weeks, but no room to have them. He started out with 3 of those big wilds, I sure was tempted. If you ever have any questions or problems dont hesitate to call him. He has helped me through some pretty serious discus health situations. Good luck with you new fish!

greyhoundfan
07-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Maybe next communication it will be 40 years plus? :D :p

LOL Alan. After 20 years you lose track. It's like turning 21, right after that all the years tend to mesh together and you forget how old you are. When people ask me how old I am I really have to give it some serious thought and do the math in my head.

OIF, my juvies are doing great. I just need to train them to eat more variety than his beef heart. They devour that like pirahnas but when I throw other stuff in the tank they just stare at it than they give me a strange look.

whipmark
07-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Greyhound
How are your fish doing you got from Westlake?
Are they eating more than beefheart?
Mark

OIF03VET
07-24-2006, 11:19 PM
I was in there yesterday and Patrick had a new adult wild, and some great looking reddish snake skin juvies. He also had some great looking neons and rummy noses. I am headed to Africa for two weeks so I am unable to get anything new right now. I had to through my breeders in with one of my other tanks, so now my dad only has two tanks to take care of.

greyhoundfan
07-24-2006, 11:29 PM
My fish from Westlake are doing great.

The first two days they ate quite a bit and than I started my daily WC routine with aged water. That really freaked them out for the first week and they were always hiding. The second week they still freak a bit but don't hide as long. After 15 minutes or so they'll greet me at the surface looking for a hand out.

They love his home made BH, I have also introduced other foods to their diet. Frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, frozen blood worms, Watley BH, spirulina, and tetrabits. They'll chomp on all the fresh frozen stuff and they'll nibble at the dry stuff.

OIF, I did get one of his red snake skins, I couldn't resist. I was also drooling over that large Blue wild. I came very close to getting it.

They have settled in my routine and I'll also start using the tank lights. When they are adjusted to that I'll be able to take pics of them and post.

OIF03VET
07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Im jealous, those red snakes were awsome. Glad to hear your new fish are getting aclimated to you home.

I have a question:
Does anyone know where to get live black worms locally?

bumblebee
07-25-2006, 01:02 PM
What city you live in?

OIF03VET
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
I live in Fullerton

bumblebee
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Pet City in Garder Grove used to carry that, and have you check with West Lake?

OIF03VET
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I havent asked at West Lake yet. I have talked with him in the past about live worms but I think I remember him saying he didt like them. I will ask again though.

whipmark
07-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I live in chino
And there are several places you can get cbw.
A place in montclair ( can't think of the name of it)
And a place off the 60 frwy and grove where I get my cbw ( and for the life of me can't think of that place either) But I am going by there after work since I have no food now.
I will let you know the name later
Mark

OIF03VET
07-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Thank you! I put up some picks of my new fish in the pics section under "My New Dragons" check them out.

whipmark
07-26-2006, 02:13 AM
Hey vet
I really like your new fish
How big are they?
I just went to pet smart to get my food today.
But the one place is right off the 60 and grove , you can see it from the frwy.
He always gets new cbw on friday.
Mark

Take the 60 east get off on Grove and make a right, then make a right at the first entrance on the right you can't miss it.

OIF03VET
07-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info, and the complement on the fish, they are about 5.5in nose to base of tail.

OIF03VET
08-15-2006, 09:19 PM
How are everyones fish doing?

Alan
08-16-2006, 02:29 AM
If you live in Fullerton, I got some blackworms at Tong's in Fountain Valley before. They have a branch in Brea but I don't know if they have blackworms. I just call them blackworms because I don't know where they got them from, but if it's in California... :p

BTW, my fish are doing okay. Trying to get rid of my stock, though...

OIF03VET
08-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just got back from 2 weeks in South Africa so I am slowly getting back into the swing of things, I should be tyring to get some works this weekend. Why are you unloading your stock?

Alan
08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Getting into the sport of showing dogs :) (I don't know if it's really a sport, but if you walk your dog twice a day to get them conditioned for the show, then maybe it is :D ) Getting ready to show my Parson Russell Terrier on the 27th in Santa Barbara.

Ichthyology
08-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Howdy everyone.

I am back from Colombia, SA doing research on discus and angelfish.

I usually buy my black worms from Aquatic Foods in northern California (http://www.aquaticfoods.com/index.html). You can buy 0.5 lbs on up. If anyone purchases any I have 3 or 4 backworn containers that they sell on the website. I will let them all go for a great price.

We need to plan a get together again sometime....

Spike Cover
01-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi,

I'm in Mission Viejo and have been getting ready to get ready for discus for what seems like nearly a lifetime. Maybe some time soon I'll be ready. I've been a fish geek all my life and am now heavy into koi but have made a place in the family-room built-in cabinets for a discus tank.

Did anything ever come of the So. Cal. Discus group?

Cheers,
Spike Cover

ewok
05-09-2008, 01:29 AM
hi is this group still active?
anyone here can point me to some good local breeders or are interested in group buys or something some time? i am interested in the wild type discus. doesn't have to be F0... F1, F2 etc. are all fine.