PDA

View Full Version : Tetra bits and blue fish???

tpl*co
01-09-2006, 12:42 PM
OK, I've just gotten some gorgeous blue and green fish from Kenny and was wondering since I used to have mostly reds. Is it OK to feed color bits to a blue fish? (or any red enhancing food?). What'll happen? What kind of foods to you feed a blue fish? I know you're not supposed to feed color enhancing foods to yellow discus since it turns them orange, but was wondering on my blues :). Wow, they look nice in front of my new dark blue background though!

Tina

Kenny's Discus
01-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Tina - thank you and I used to feed Tetrabits to my juveniles BDs all the time and they love it! I didn't see any change in colors of the Blues :-) but yes I've heard so many ppl advice against feeding them to yellow discus. But still once you feed them worms I found them tend not to be as interested in pellets afterwards. JMO

Kenny

Ryan
01-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Tina,

If it doesn't have high levels of red enhancer in it, you shouldn't really notice much change. There's a chance they may get a little darker blue, but that's probably all.

Some people who used to mix NatuRose (asthaxanthin) into their beefheart reported that the fish may turn a really dark blue/violet color, but I don't ever remember seeing pictures of that.

In addition to yellows turning orange, feeding snow whites with red enhancer will turn them peachy/yellow. Kind of pretty though :)

Ryan

Kenny's Discus
01-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Quote:

"In addition to yellows turning orange, feeding snow whites with red enhancer will turn them peachy/yellow. Kind of pretty though"

Ryan - I totally agree with you. Currently I have 3 batches of Snow Whites and I was advised by many not to feed Tetrabits in order to keep them pure white. The male parent(snow white) is being fed Tetrabits all the time and I can see his "peachy" color as opposed to totally White. I guess I will see how different these batches will turn out by only feeding some Tetrabits and some without.

Thanks,
Kenny

Ryan
01-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Kenny,

I'd imagine the colors would fade back to white after they'd been off the red enhancer for a while. I actually kind of like them when they are the "peachy" color. :) It's all personal preference, I guess.

Ryan

tpl*co
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
LOL, That's why my fish get the dried in the morning when they are the hungriest, and worms in the evening. Yes I get dirty looks in the morning like (is this all we get?) and they are really happy to see me in the evening (get dirty looks if I'm late in the evening, LOL). Given a choice, I don't think discus like tetra bits much. They do like the beef heart flake though and look forward to that.

That's good that I don't have to change from tetra bits though since I still have a can and a half left! (I like to rotate dry foods to make sure everybody gets their vitamins).

Kenny, put in a cube of bloodworms this morning to keep your fish happy in addition to the flake. Have to see how your fish take to dried before I reset up the auto feeder for the young ones :). I can see the little hint of pink on them. So these are the nieces/nephews of the snowfire male?

Tina

Kenny's Discus
01-09-2006, 02:07 PM
yes Tina, and that's a cross with a Blue/Green fish (have 2 batches from different parents in the same grow-out tank but they are similiar)

I love the "dirty looks" you were talking about BTW Tina - it really "triggers" me to keep on feeding them to the point where all Epsom Salt around my area are sold out. LOL

Kenny