PDA

View Full Version : Using salt to treat excess slime

Audrey
01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
My red melon and my tangerine discus seem to get excess white slime on their sides now and then. Usually goes away in a day or two.

125-gal tank
11 discus
Bare bottom tank
2 Aqua Clear 110s
3 Hydro Vs
Daily 40% water changes
Temp about 83

But my red melon now has like a 1.5-2.0" long band of white slime on its side up near its dorsal fin line. It is not very wide. It has been there for a few days now. I am getting a little worried. He still eats, but not with the gusto he used to eat with. It seems to be bothering the poor guy, he has been doing some scratching on the side where the excess slime is.

All other 10 discus are fine. Should I treat the whole tank with salt?

I want to try upping the tank temp to 86, and adding salt tonight. Do I just use regular NON-IODIZED table salt? Or do I need to go buy the aquarium salt? Should I dose 2 tbsp per 10 gallons?

Thanks!!
Audrey

pcsb23
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Audrey, sounds like a bacterial/parasite type infection on the skin. Not sure if salt will cure it, it certainly won't harm it. You may need to use something a bit stronger. I would treat the whole tank at this point and keep doing daily w/c, adding back the salt you remove, so for each gallon you add back 2 tblspns salt. If the slime is still there or not receding in two or three days or gets significantly worse before then, you will need to try something else like tetracycline hydrochloride, but remember to keep the lights off if using it.
hth,
Paul.

jim_shedden
01-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Audrey:
Us non-iodized salt. No need to go and buy the expensive stuff from the pet store. I just buy mine from the local market. I prefer non-iodized sea salt.
You are correct at 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons.
If you are still having problems I would take Pauls advice and get something a little stronger or maybe use in conjuction with the salt.

Jim

Cosmo
01-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Audrey,

Is there any connection between WCs and slime episodes? Fluctuations in water ph or essessive ammonia can also cause this sort of thing. First make sure your water quality is what it should be (zero ammonia) and that you age your water before changes.. new water temp/ph close to the tanks parameters..

Think I'd go with treating the whole tank with Furan2 in addition to the salt, seems to work like a "miracle drug" for skin related issues...

Good luck and keep us informed

Jim

Cosmo
01-09-2006, 11:03 PM
BTW... would suggest you leave your temp at 86 as the norm.. bump it up or lower it for treatment depending on the symptoms and the med.

Jim

Audrey
01-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Update: I got home from work last night and my red melon looked better, i.e., less slime on the side of it. It also seems to be eating better. I didn't add any salt yet, since I hadn't rec'd any replies here yet on exactly what kind is best to use.

Cosmo
I don't think there is any connection between w/cs and the excess slime. I do 40-50% daily water changes. Course, over the holidays, I missed a few water changes, but never two days in a row. I strive for daily, but over December I probably did every other day. Guess that could be connected to why I am seeing excess slime. I never feed beef heart, either, if I can't pull off a water change.

I really want to hold off on any kind of meds until I try the salt/heat first.

Unfortunately I use tap water for my water changes. Don't quite have the space to store/age water.

Wondering if it could be the two new discus I added on December 21st? They were QT'd for 12 weeks first, though, before adding them. No others in this tank show excess slime, all appear very very healthy.

Thanks, Paul....I will try that if I don't continue to see this fish improving.

Thanks everyone!
Audrey

CAGE-RATTLER
01-10-2006, 11:41 AM
I would treat the whole tank at this point and keep doing daily w/c, adding back the salt you remove, so for each gallon you add back 2 tblspns salt. Paul.

That should be for each 10 gallons you add back 2 tblspns salt....correct?

jim_shedden
01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
ditto

jim

pcsb23
01-10-2006, 12:14 PM
That should be for each 10 gallons you add back 2 tblspns salt....correct?

oops well spotted Cage!!

Alight
01-10-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm a believer in not doing anything if it isn't broken. If the Melon is looking better, don't do anything different. If it gets worse again, think about doing something.

It is possible you had a very minor, mini cycle caused by adding the new fish. Did you check ammonia and nitrite levels every day after you added the new fish? You could have had a minor fluctuation in one of those that could have caused the slime coat incident (I'd expect a delay of 2-6 days after the addition if that was the cause). Nothing to worry about. All parameters are certainly normal by now.

Another possibility is some "turf" issues caused by the addition of the new fish, that could be reordering the pecking order, that might have caused some mild stress in the Melon, leading the the slime coate incident. Again, nothing to worry about--they probably have it all straightened out and are back to normal already.

Audrey
01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey Alight
When I added the 2 new discus to the 125-gal, I also added extra cycled sponges (which had been in their QT tank, fully cycled...been cycling for years).:) So I figured with adding cycled sponges, I would be covered as far as the bio load keeping up with the new fish going in. I have a lot of filtration on this tank! All fully cycled. But...I guess ya never know, maybe that was the case. I am bad at testing parameters, all my test kit stuff is so old. I am just pretty confident that with all my very-cycled media, and practically daily 40-50% w/cs, that ammonia is never an issue. (I know, I know...don't yell at me!):o

Here I was a little worried to add my 2 smaller Hans discus in with my bigger discus in my 125. Let me tell you, ....the 2 smaller Hans discus really hold their ground!!! They push and shove right back at the bigger guys. It's so cute!! But I have not noticed the Melon taking any more abuse than any of the others.

Yes, if the Melon keeps looking better, I of course won't do anything.

Thanks!
Audrey

candyl70
01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Audrey,

Do you wipe down your tank when you do your w/c's? I wipe mine down almost every water change. The slime that builds up can host a lot of bacteria. I just use a heavy paper towel and wipe the sides, bottom, and the heater, the cord, and all the tubing from my filters. Just a thought. Glad to hear your melon is looking up!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_13.gif
Candy

Audrey
01-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi, Candy!
Yes, I do wipe the bottom, sides, and front at each water change.
I try to wipe down the back wall as best I can, but it is very tough to reach.
My 125-gal is a big tank, and I am only 5 feet tall. I need to stand on foot stools when I do all the wiping and can still barely reach!

I actually use Handi Wipes for the wiping of the front and sides. I rinse them with hot water before and after each use. They work great! For the bottom I have to use a long handled algae scraper.

I usually only wipe down the heater when it starts to look gunky, though.

Audrey

candyl70
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Audrey

That is a big job!!! I am 5'6" and I still have a hard time reaching that back wall!! lol http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_123v.gif (You on your tippy toes :) )

You are definatley a dedicated fish owner to say the least !!! What are handi wipes? Are they like hand wipes? I love the viva towels because you can fold them and keep using them and they don't leave little bits of paper towel in the water. I hate when that happens and i see my fish trying to eat the little floating bits!

Candy

White Worm
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Question??? Moving cycled sponges from QT tank to regular tank, doesnt this bring any bad stuff that might have been left over from the QT procedure. Arent you cross contaminating as if it were a fish? Sponge filter is a bacteria breeding ground. Just asking because it seems like you are defeating the purpose of QT and seperate nets and clean hands and seperate rooms, etc.

candyl70
01-10-2006, 03:18 PM
But the fish weren't sick, and are now in the main tank. If they weren't sick and still show no signs of illness do you think it would still be a problem? I don't know either way, but it seems like if the fish were healthy enough to move that the sponges should be ok. Right??

Audrey
01-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Mikscus
I don't think it matters. Once the new fish are in the tank, I mean...the fish are in their now, what diff is it if the sponge filters are in their, too, now?
Know what I mean? I keep the sponges rinsed clean, it's not like they were all gunky and grose.

Candy!! I loved the tippy toe gal...too cute! Yep, that is me alright!
Handi Wipes are like cloth wipes, I think they are same thing as the Viva towels. They are thin, reusable wipes. Yeah, I am a little TOO dedicated, if you were to ask my family!;)

Audrey

Audrey
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Sponge filters are a good bacteria breeding ground....right????

And no, the fish weren't sick when I put them in my main tank, and they aren't sick now either. QT'd them for 12 weeks. 6 weeks alone, then 6 weeks with a current discus in with them. All okay.

Kindredspirit
01-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Mikey~

Come on now...he was in QT for 12 weeks, eh?? lol....soooooooo if he is okay, whatz the big deal on moving the sponge??

Even I know that one!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_120.gif

Unless I am missing something ....which is very possible!!

Marie~

candyl70
01-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Mike,
You are so silly!! lol!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_106.gifIf the sponges were in QT with the fish, and the fish aren't sick, it would follow that the sponges would be fine as well. Also, if she did use meds in the QT tank, and the sponges were in there, then the meds would have taken care of any sicknesses or diseases right?

Audrey,
I think all our families would probably agree that we are a bit too dedicated! lol!! Especailly when we are doing these tedious water changes everyday. Got to love those fish!! Oh... so your sponges. lol... They are a breeding ground for good bacteria, but i believe that bad ones grown in there as well. But not to worry, as long as you preform your normal maintenance, which I gather is excellent, then your fish will be fine. Of course, if I am wrong there will be someone who will come along and correct me.

Here is another one for you Audrey!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_34.gif

Candy:D

jim_shedden
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Look out Mike............you had better circle the wagons:)

LOL

jim

Audrey
01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
No meds were used in the QT tank.

Candy, ....cute! Where do you gals find all them animated smileys?

Audrey

Alight
01-10-2006, 06:37 PM
"I think all our families would probably agree that we are a bit too dedicated! lol!! Especailly when we are doing these tedious water changes everyday. Got to love those fish!!"

Boy, you got that right!!

Audrey, you sound like me--probably 98% of Discus owners wouldn't even have noticed the slime coat thing--but like me, you get worried over every possibility. Some people are just worriers. I am one of them!

I worried about slime coat changes for years, until I was convinced that they rarely indicate significant problems. (although I still worry about that "rare" time).

Audrey
01-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Alight
Well it really stands out against a bright red melon discus!!

Who else here gets a good case of the guilts when their young child comes into their fish room and says, "Aren't you done YET?" My 6 year old son will come into the fish room and say "Are you draining still or filling yet??? ha ha ha ha!!! Poor kid. I hope when he is older his only memory of me is not a vision of me armpit-deep in a tank.:(

I probably an average an hour a night in my fish room. But, I always tell my family, "It could be worse...at least I am not sitting on the couch on my butt every night watching Wheel of Fortune and stuffin my face with food, or worse yet, boozin it up every night!" There are worse hobbies we could have. Right??!!!

Audrey

White Worm
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Jim,,, No kidding huh? Did I open up a basket of female cobras? :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_33_17.gif

Or,, they were looking for scalp

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_4_116.gif

I was just asking a hypothetical question. This is my logic......
Qt tank...... you are probably doing many water changes,,,,,wiping everything clean,,,,, yes sponge filter is breeding ground for good but also leaves room for any bactieria. So you lightly rinse your sponges but not get all the bad stuff out that has hidden itself in the pores of the sponge. This is the only place it could live because you have made it to where it could live nowhere else. Now the fish is cool because he has become accustomed to this environment. Now you transfer these sponges over to the good tank,,,,fish that are not used to that particular bug are now in contact with it. Good thing is though,,,you did a very long QT which may have killed just about anything or at least gave you lots of time to see any changes. You also threw one of the other ones in with them. Now,,,most dont QT as long as you did and most dont throw another discus in to check it out. For them it may be a dangerous situation to put used Qt sponges in their tanks during a shorter QT time like 2-4 weeks. I believe you are 98% safe but the % goes down the shorter the QT period. Sponge filters are so cheap that I dont see a need to keep moving them around. It just seems that most people preach about different nets, clean hands and even some prefer to have their QT tanks in a different room or building. With that in mind, it doesnt make sense to me to move a sponge filter from your QT environment into your regular tanks.

Now ladies,,,,,,,,,these are just some ideas, opinions and nothing written in stone. I may be wrong and these are some statements that I am sure will be commented on soon by some more experienced keepers than myself.

Thank you though for all the kind responses:p :p :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_42.gif

candyl70
01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
lol Mike!! Female cobras?? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_207.gif No way!! lol...

It's bacteria though, not parasites correct? That you are hypothetically inquiring about? So in Audrey's case, she QT'ed correctly and none of the original fish got sick, and neither did the new ones. Most parasites can't live that long without a host. So i would see nothing to worry about. If on the other hand, someone else did the same thing, but the original fish got sick, or the new ones got sick, I would say definatley do not add the sponges. I think that most ppl say put the tanks in another room etc. because some sicknesses are airborne, and not to use the same equip. etc because you don't know what the fish might be carrying.

It's good to be careful and Audrey definatley was. Bacteria is in the tanks all over the place. Sponges, water, heaters. But if the fish are healthy, they can resist most illnesses.

Am I making any sense? I can see where you are coming from too, but I think in Audrey's case, she was fine moving her sponges. Of course I could be totally wrong, but I'm sure we will hear about it if I am;)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_24.gif

Audrey
01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey, Mike.....s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s!!!!!!!:p

Actually, now ya went and kinda freaked me out a little.

:o
Audrey

White Worm
01-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I said that you were fine,,,,!!! Just want to make sure some who dont have excellent patience during the QT process like you do,,,are very careful about swapping tank items. Someone may think they could swap a heater and something could be hiding on or in it. I just think always safer than sorry, especially over a $7 sponge filter. 12 weeks is forever!! I'm sure that everything will be fine for you.

Oh,,, Candy,,, Our wonderful little fishies not only suffer from parasites,,,they sometimes have bacterial infections,,hence the need for numerous types of meds eh? LOL Silly Girl!

candyl70
01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Nuh uh Mikey!!! lol!! I knew that!!! That's why it is good to wipe things down during the water change... get all the goo that bacteria grows on! Silly boy!!! lol...

Really tho Audrey, great job on the looooong QT. I would have been biting my nails the whole time trying to stop myself from mixing the fish!!