PDA

View Full Version : Water changes?

timotel
01-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I've been pondering what's the easiest way to change out the water. I've purchase a Python No Spill system but the water quality in Los Angeles are a bit high in the Ph.

Is there any other easy way to make quick water changes? Please share your method on changing water. There has to be a easy way of doing it.

Mack
01-09-2006, 10:24 PM
How high is the Ph?

Greg Richardson
01-10-2006, 02:21 AM
I use pump and hose. Into my storage barrels from bucket under tub faucet.

In winter I drain it into the tub.

Spring, Summer, part of fall drain outside for garden and flowers.

If u go the pump route it is worth extra money imo to buy the better one.
I bought the middle pump at Walmart and wish I had spent another 20.00 or whatever it was for best one.

Lot of wc's over time that little bit makes a difference.

ed8t
01-10-2006, 02:35 AM
I have a python system that I use for other tanks but it's too slow for my discus tank. For that I use a pump (Mag 7) to drain out the water and use the same pump to pump water from my water storage container directly into the tank. I age and heat my water in storage for a day before pumping it back in.

pcsb23
01-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Welcome to Simply!
Just started to use a pump, an Eheim 1260. Have always stored, aged and tretaed my water before use. Used to use a siphon and buckets.. to much like hard work!!
Paul.

ronrca
01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Great info! Its amazing where you can find room to place a storage container. Go to Walmart and check out the selection of rubbermaid containers and pick the largest that you can fit somewhere. Then get yourself some equipment like pump and hose (home depot for hose). You have a simply water change system then where you can aerate/heat/treat your water before changing it. ;)

candyl70
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
I have a 32 gal rubbermaid trash can that I use to store and aerate my water. I have been considering moving it into my hall closet as it is still close enough that the plugs can reach the outlet, and I can get it out of my bedroom. It is definatley and eye sore!

White Worm
01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Heres an idea candy,,,,, Turn the lid to the 32g trash can upside down, find a round piece of wood that is big enough to sit on top of the upside down lid with a little hang over. Cover the whole thing with a piece of material that matches your bedroom decor and walla, instant table for feeding and other things and covers the eye sore.

lauren0626
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Can someone recommand a water pump for water changing? Kind of have no idea which kind to buy.
Thanks,

White Worm
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Go to lowes or home depot and get a sump pump, one that is submersible and sits at the bottom of your storage tank. It has a hose connection right on the top and costs around $40-$80 bucks. I use one of these to pump water out of my pool when it rains too much. Works great and it will work for wc's. You can also run it to agitate your storage water before you send it to the tanks. It sucks water from the bottom and you can have the hose end just splashing into the top of the storage container until you do a wc and then just move hose to wherever your tank is. Of course you will need to get enough hose and mount it near your storage coiled up and ready to go.

Alight
01-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Check out the threads posted http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=46225&highlight=water+pumps here.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40578&highlight=Water+pumps
(this thread should probably be a sticky in this section as the topic comes up so often).

Lots of info on water pumps. Water pumps are quite specific in their function. For practical purposes, the type of pump you need will depend on how high you are trying to lift the water--in other words, are you pumping it from the same level as your tank? 4 feet below, 14 feet below (from your basement).

candyl70
01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Good idea Mike... I'll have to try that out. I hate looking at that thing!

Mack
01-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Be careful when using your typical household sump pump from a hardware store...these units often time contain oil packed pumps and other parts that may mess up the water.

Alight
01-11-2006, 12:28 AM
Mack makes a good point. I'd only buy a pump rated for pond use (with live fish) myself. I bought a Home Depot waterfall pump (see the threads in my previous post) rated for fish pond use. I can lift water 29 feet, and really does the job from my basement. This would be overkill, though if you had your storage tank on the same level as your tank. I think in the thread, there are some links to specifications and graphs that show how many gallons per minute you will get a different hights with different tanks.

Kap
01-11-2006, 09:53 AM
For me, there is a simple elegance to carrying buckets of H2O to and from my aquariums. Sure it is work; I have to carry aged H2O up two flights of stairs. Been doing this for years now, and still going strong. Or should I say stronger? Don't need to spend any time on a stair-stepper or lift weights for exercise. My weight lifting has a purpose, and motivation is usually not an issue as I need to change H2O somehow. I do have a pump in the aging container, and it would probably handle the flights of stairs, but by the time I run the hose through the house, watch water levels and run back and forth, well, it is just simpler to use the old back, shoulders, arms and legs. Carrying the buckets is for my circulation! And just so you know the whole story, I have only three tanks set up, and do 25% daily wc's so this is not a really ambitious undertaking. Just thought I'd throw in a different perspective...

ed8t
01-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Holy moly! I say nominate Kap for Mr Discus!

Moon
01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
That's dedication for you.

White Worm
01-11-2006, 02:02 PM

Pumps up to 10 GPM
3/4" discharge fits standard hose
Oiless design is environmentally safe
Completely submersible

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2006, 04:54 PM
There is an article on water changes on the NADA website under "Discus Care" http://www.discusnada.org/