PDA

View Full Version : Bringing home new fish.. any ideas

candyl70
01-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Ok.. so here is my situation. I am going to Marie's house on Saturday to get some fish from her. Neither of us have a way to supply air to the fish in bags. So I am wondering, how I should try to bring them home? If I put them in a bucket with tank water, will they be ok for the ride home? It's about an hour and a half drive from me. Help me out here guys!!! How am I going to do this??

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_52.gif

Candy

White Worm
01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I transported mine from kennys in a styrofoam box with a big plastic bag in the box. 0.99 at local store. I left the bag open at the top and they were fine for the hour + ride. Use the white generic styrofoam ice chest-type coolers with a clear bag big enough to go inside the whole thing which will give them room to move around and not be crunched into a bag. Must be nice to be getting some new fish huh? ;) :D

Elcid
01-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I would still suggest that you bag them separately to bring them home. Buy a box of 1 gallon Hefty OnZip Freezer Bags from ur local grocery store. Fill each 1/2 full of water and put one fish in each bag. Don't forget to double bag.

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2006, 05:29 PM
You can use any kind of container - even buckets will work. I like to use old sturofoam fish boxes with lids on loosely. Coolers work nice too.

candyl70
01-11-2006, 05:30 PM
A big plastic bag?? Where did you find one big enough to fit in the cooler? And will it be big enough for 4 3" discus? I don't need an battery operated bubbler?

candyl70
01-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Carol,
So i can put some type of lid on the cooler? And they will have enough air that they won't be gasping at the top or anything?

pcsb23
01-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Big cool box or buckets with lids, not on tight! Shouldn't need any additional air. Don't brake too hard though!! they'll be swimming in the car!!
Paul.

candyl70
01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys!! I am really nervous about this if ya couldn't tell! lol.. I have never transported fish like this before with out them being in a bag with oxygen put inside. So I have one of those lunch box type coolers, ya know what i mean? Will that work or should I go with the styrofoam cooler and the bag lining?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_20_3.gif

White Worm
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
No need for bubbles on that short of trip. Do you have any of those oxygen tablets by chance? Use a garbage bag (it can be white) cut it to fit (no scented bags). You wont need to double bag if they are in styrofoam and it is much more stable in the car than bags. Igloo works just as well.

candyl70
01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Mmmm.. oxygen tablets? Nope.. lol.. Thanks for getting back so quickly on this!!! I already feel 100% better.

ronrca
01-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I use a rubbermaid container that holds around 10G I believe. I also have an inverter that I can plug into my cig. lighter in the car so that I can plug an air pump and heater into. *poof* My mobile fishtank!

Btw, the discus will be fine without additional 02 for an hour and a half. Even temp for that matter should be a grave concern. You will be fine. Relax and have fun! :thumbsup:

Kindredspirit
01-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Candy, we don't really want to put them back in a bag.....do we?? I don't~ Why not just a big bucket with some kind of lid? Or a cooler, like Carol said?

No bags...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_35_7.gif

Marie~

candyl70
01-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow Ron! Where did you find an inverter? Even if I get stuck in traffic they will be ok right? How long do you think is the max amount of time they will be ok?

Kindredspirit
01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I use a rubbermaid container that holds around 10G I believe. I also have an inverter that I can plug into my cig. lighter in the car so that I can plug an air pump and heater into. *poof* My mobile fishtank!

Btw, the discus will be fine without additional 02 for an hour and a half. Even temp for that matter should be a grave concern. You will be fine. Relax and have fun! :thumbsup:

SEE????

an expert among us~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_125.gifwith common sense that has a KISS~

Marie~

( how come you are not on the Simply Team, Ron?)

candyl70
01-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Marie,
I agree... no bags.. it seems to stress them out even more... plus they just got out of bags.. lol

Yeah Ron, why aren't you on the Simply team!?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_124.gif

ronrca
01-11-2006, 06:05 PM
A power inverter you can buy at stores like Walmart. They last as long as your car battery basicly. As long as your car is running, you will be fine. Let me see if I can find a pic or something.

Btw, there are different wattages that you can choose. Make sure the inverter is big enough to handle a heater and air pump. Also, an inverter is converting 12Vdc to 120Vac so that you can plug household applicanes into. Ppl use them for labtops and whatever else (curling irons perhaps) :D

ronrca
01-11-2006, 06:11 PM
here is a link:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-0983587-4448136?asin=B0000A30R3&AFID=YahooSSP&nAID=14934801&ref=tgt_adv_XSY10001

candyl70
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks a million Ron, i'll check it out!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_7.gif

I'll just take the fish please ;)

White Worm
01-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Whats this whole thing about bags, they got to you in bags? I'm not talking about a small bag tied at the top,,,,a bag that you can just lay inside the whole igloo just to keep the water from splashing around everywhere. Loosely closed at the top which gives them plenty of room and air. It works perfect, trust me, I did it 3 seperate times and not one loss. That kinda makes me knowledgable I think.:confused: I even transported the adult breeders that way.

White Worm
01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
You already got some candy girl ;) :D

Elcid
01-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Okay, just make sure they don't panic and bang themselves up against the cooler too much! Don't forget those 3"ers can do zero to 60 in less than a second!

scans
01-11-2006, 06:43 PM

YUP... done this many times. Also, 5gal bucket 1/4 full. Battery powered air pump for long (>2hrs) trips. The bucket can then be closed (hole in lid for air line) and seat belted in place to prevent accidents.:D :D

tpl*co
01-11-2006, 06:57 PM
LOL, ask David and Kenny about my "Fish transportation device" LOL. For most fish I use that industrial size plastic pretzel container with lid (holds 3 gallons).

For Kenny's fish I used an igloo container, but they looked a little funny when I got home (didn't take long for them to feel better, but the igloo sloshed them around more). I think they do better in my usual fish transportation device.

Hey, check around in fish stores for the battery operated air stones (back up air devices for power outages). They cost around 10-12 and can do you the trick!

Tina

candyl70
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
So I do need an air supply? 1 1/2 hrs. is if traffic is good. what if its more like 3?

traco
01-11-2006, 08:31 PM
The bigger ziploc bags worked for me. Just scoop them up, pour into the bag add some more water, zip it up. I'd bag each individually, then place all four bags in a styrofoam cooler with scrunched paper to keep them from sloshing around in the cooler. I put a seatbelt on the cooler also. I can just imagine the looks if I got pulled over!

They will be fine. And enjoy your visit at Marie's house.

Kindredspirit
01-11-2006, 08:43 PM
The bigger ziploc bags worked for me. Just scoop them up, pour into the bag add some more water, zip it up. I'd bag each individually, then place all four bags in a styrofoam cooler with scrunched paper to keep them from sloshing around in the cooler. I put a seatbelt on the cooler also. I can just imagine the looks if I got pulled over!

They will be fine. And enjoy your visit at Marie's house.

Wanna Come Too????http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_61.gif

traco
01-11-2006, 08:53 PM
I can leave the rainy weather? I'd love to but .... the drive is a tad bit long for a day trip. Road trip in the summer as we are all too far away from Chicago (and some people don't like to fly;) - how did you go to the Old Country, Marie?).

I know there is talk of when Jason comes to the West Coast, some Vancouverites are getting together? Wouldn't that be a road trip for you Californians to come visit us up here in Canuck land? Can you do ferry rides cuz I live way over on an Island?

Eat a cookie for me; I'll be thinkin of you guys on Saturday. No wine, just tea or coffee, but not too much, as I bet you'll be nervous enough as it is?

Have fun ..... sigh ..... no really, have fun ...... honest

Kindredspirit
01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Nervous? Why would we be nervous?

But we may just call you!!! How cool would that be?? Candy's all trippin, Barb...' Slumber party at Marie's!'... I am so excited!'' http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_30_3.gif She is spending the night and bringing her dog! My daughter will be here too! Margarita Time, Ya Think?? I so wish you could be here... not April..Nope....she wants my Wings, Barb...cuz i dont like planes....LOL...

You gave me a great idea re big baggies....have you seen those over-sized Ziplock ones? Hella Huge!!! That might work too~

( you okay?)http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_1_53.gif Please download Yahoo... very simple, and really cool, babe.... we can talk anytime, promise??

Marie~

Chrisb
01-11-2006, 09:24 PM

ronrca
That is a good idea I got a few 18 gal Rubbermaid container. I think I will make one my "mobile fishtank".

Good luck Candy and Marie.

Chris

wolfbane
01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Home Depot 5 gal. bucket will work, wash it out well, fill half full, or less, with Marie's water, good to go!

Kindredspirit
01-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys!! Half full should be okay for four ??

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_7_22.gif

ronman
01-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I would go with the 5 gal bucket too with the lid shut tight so no spilling. Do it all the time and they can last 2-3 hrs without problem. Half fill will be fine. When I reach home flip the lid off and top the bucket with tank water that the fish is going in. Put in an air stone and a few drop of PP, leave it for 20-30 mins and plop them in the tank.
That is how I do it and my customers does the same thing too.

Ron

Kindredspirit
01-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Ron,

Why PP ?:confused:

M~

ronman
01-12-2006, 04:02 AM
To strip off any freebee that comes with the fish.

Ron

Alan
01-12-2006, 04:06 AM
A bucket will do. Don't forget a lid in case the fish decide to jump or for your sudden stops and starts. You can put a black garbage bag inside the bucket to make their surrounding dark. A blanket as a cover is good since it's porous, i.e. the air can get in and out, and it will keep the fish in the dark (discus can't see good in the dark). Less than an hour trip, I would go for bags even without O2.

Just make sure to not feed the fish at least a day before they're to be picked up and the water you put in the bucket has 0 ammonia. As for the aerator... just put hydrogen peroxide in the water if you think the fish will need the oxygen.

I don't know what kind of traffic you have in Sacramento. L.A. rush hour traffic may delay you twice to three times the commute. San Francisco traffic can delay you as bad. Sacramento?

Half empty or half full? Doesn't matter. Just make sure water won't splash inside your car with the stop and go you're going to be doing. They really won't be moving much if they're kept in the dark.

As for the PP, it's like a bath the way Ron explains it. There may be flukes in your water, Marie, that Candy's fish at home are not ready to combat yet or the other way around, aka pre-quarantine procedure or the first step in a quarantine procedure(meaning you're supposed to quarantine unless they're your only fish).

HTH

Kindredspirit
01-12-2006, 04:18 AM
As for the PP, it's like a bath the way Ron explains it. There may be flukes in your water, Marie, that Candy's fish at home are not ready to combat yet or the other way around, aka pre-quarantine procedure or the first step in a quarantine procedure(meaning you're supposed to quarantine unless they're your only fish).

HTH

Thanks Alan!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_2.gif Dumb question...If I May ( lol...Candy!) I know they are going in a 30gal all by themselves...but what if they were not, and I had had them qt'd for weeks, which I have only had them a week yesterday, Candy would still need to qt all over again?

I am not feeling well and it is late, but does that make any sense, Alan?? lol...and thanks for the explanation up there!
Marie~

CAGE-RATTLER
01-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Not quite sure what you mean .......... but the 30 gallon they are going in will be theyre QT tank since they will be the only ones in there.

HTH ........... if not forget i typed it .... lol.

ronrca
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Wow! Great suggestions and all are really good.

Ime, I tried using 5G buckets and the only concern I have with them is the footprint of the bucket is very narrow and as such can tip if taking a corner too fast or braking or whatever. Seat belts will help though however a small rubbermaid which as 2-3x the volume has a large footprint thus eliminating the tipping issue. To avoid the splashing, I put the lid on the rubbermaid and cut a couple of small holes in the lid for gas exchange and where the wires from the airpump and heater exit. As mentioned, discus transport best when kept in the dark. :thumbsup:

O, and dont forget Prime. I would add some when you put the discus in and when you get home. Just as a precaution thats all.

tpl*co
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
I put mine on the passanger floor compartment in a container I can push the passanger seat against far enough it can't move (that was the igloo container). I then put towels and plastic below that in case of sloshing. For smaller fish and my "fish transportation device" i.e. very large plastic pretzel jar (Costco size, enough to hold a full grown discus! LOL) I put that on the pasanger seat in a box with towels around it for insulation. I also bring extra water in jugs (with prime) just in case.

Tina

Kindredspirit
01-12-2006, 01:20 PM
O, and dont forget Prime. I would add some when you put the discus in and when you get home. Just as a precaution thats all.

Ah, yes! Thanks Ron~ note to self...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_216.gif I was looking at them this morning, and I am so going to miss them from the bottom of my heart~

Candy, they have such a different personality of all the discus I have....we have a lot, ya know that dontcha?? 22...omg....

I love these guys, Dan!! And if it wasnt for all the people on this forum, I would not have been so lucky~

Tina~ You so have to pop on over, woman....but if I come back to your house, I could see my favorite discus!....hmm....

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

White Worm
01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
styrofoam cooler keeps warmth in and it is dark, a bag inside keeps the water from splashing around in your car, lightly close bag at top, keeps fish and water in container and allows air in.

See, not so bad, they are even smileing!

tpl*co
01-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes, Marie, I need to come over and see your fish! LOL!

Hmmm, some of the new ones I got from Kenny have a similar color (bluish purpleish) of my africans, not as dark, but beautiful! :).

I guess this was the week everybody is getting new fish! :).

Tina

Kindredspirit
01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
lol! Mike....Jack Of All Trades, aren't you? Hey, Mike, since you are following me...lol... and this is kinda 1/2 my thread...Candy Girl (http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif), I am gonna hi-jack it a bit....

Do you soak your Color Bits first??

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

White Worm
01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Nope, most of my discus dont like em, I tried it but they just look at em, get a little taste and spit em out and look at me like "wheres the real food?"
I'm not following you, you are just everywhere. Kinda hard not to run into ya, lol.
If you do use em, some say it is good idea to presoak so they dont expand in their little bellies and create constipation problems. I have seen people do it both ways.

Kindredspirit
01-12-2006, 01:55 PM
lol! I was thinking the same thing about you!! Making a lot of friends, Mike??

My fish actually like em!! I'm glad!

M~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_71.gif

White Worm
01-12-2006, 02:02 PM
50/50 Cant please everyone all the time (I do ok). I think you got me beat young lady. I wont ever be an angel but we cant all be angels right? There has to be an evil balance,,oops,,, EQUAL balance, lol.

:angel:

It is good if your discus will eat different stuff just in case you are out of something (some say it is varied diet too). I guess I continue to spoil mine with their favorite foods. Mostly frozen meat stuff like worms and shrimp and larvae mix. When I walk up to the tank and they come swimming real fast to greet me, its hard to see their disappointment with flakes or bits when I know they love the other stuff. Thats just me I guess.

Kindredspirit
01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Evil Balancehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_15.gif...lol! That was good, Mike~

My new fish do not really care for the Bits....but they will~ and I am out of bh, Mike~ Pets Mart didnt have any...Sometime I hate that place with a passion..Useless~

So I am thinking of making my own....cuz at almost 5 bucks a pop for what? 16, 20 cubes...adds up there~ I am trying to find Willie as he uses Hamburger....

Marie~

candyl70
01-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!

Marie,
You want to do hamburger instead of bh?? I would rather touch the hamburger, don't get me wrong!! :D

My guys eat the bits just fine. Especially since they think they are starving all the time!! But in the morning especially, they munch them down so fast!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_17.gif

White Worm
01-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks Marie,,,,,maybe we should have a forum devil?,,,Its gotta count for something when you voice your opinion even though it doesnt always conform to popular consensus lol. (vote for me!,,,vote for me!, LMAO)
I think what a discus chooses for food all depends on breeder and what they fed them as youngins. Someone told me once that they dont have taste buds. Not sure if that is correct but I know what mine like and thats what I feed them.

I feel for you about the store, I go to petco because they have frozen everything in their freezer. Yeah $5 a pop doesnt go far at 2-3 feedings a day with 10-20 fish eating like horses. Then sometimes they will be out of what I really want. When they have it, I buy as many as I can.

I find that the only problem with making all that food is that it will be very time consuming (and then there are about 6,732 different ways to make those recipes). I said once in another post that people spend about 3x the time to prepare food for their discus than they do for their family. I myself dont have the time so frozen cubes it is! Mike

traco
01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I soak my tetra bits for 5-10 minutes, better safe than sorry. Although ..... they have turned their nose up at them now, the little poops!!

The other day we were having hamburger for supper and I took a small bit and dropped it in the tank. They all freaked and hid, the guppies came along picking away at it. It took a good 10 minutes before one of the discus came out and nibbled at it, the chicken! I sat and watched to make sure it was all eaten; didn't want to pollute the tank. I have not seen a hamburger recipe yet, anyone out there using hamburger instead of beefheart?

Oh, does this make me a thread stealer?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_56.gif

All questions here, I'm sure, have benefited everyone though, eh? (<for Marie)

Kindredspirit
01-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey~

Willie sent me his recipe for his bh....if you want it, pm me! It is mostly hamburger~
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_4_13.gif

Marie~

tpl*co
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
OK, how about this, put the discus in a bucket and take them to the nearest Burger King. When the clerk asks for the order, show them the fish and tell them to

"Make it their way!"

LOL!

I still have some frozen organic beef heart in the freezer I need to make up. Gotta look up some recipes.

Tina

Kindredspirit
01-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Tina Tina Tina.....wow!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_27.gif

I wanna come see you new blue fish, woman!!!

ronrca
01-13-2006, 04:09 PM
OK, how about this, put the discus in a bucket and take them to the nearest Burger King. When the clerk asks for the order, show them the fish and tell them to

"Make it their way!"

LOL!
I like that idea as I hate making bh. I wonder if McD's will do the same (some beef heart plz with a little spinach and shrimps. And that will be to go!)

Alan
01-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks Alan!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_2.gif Dumb question...If I May ( lol...Candy!) I know they are going in a 30gal all by themselves...but what if they were not, and I had had them qt'd for weeks, which I have only had them a week yesterday, Candy would still need to qt all over again?

I am not feeling well and it is late, but does that make any sense, Alan?? lol...and thanks for the explanation up there!
Marie~

Sorry for the late reply, but I think I got it.

New "owner," new quarantine, unless like it's your neighbor and you have the same water source (city, muni, or well), and your tank conditions are pretty much the same, and you don't have other pets, etc. Just think of a virus that you're not trying to spread to your neighbor or someone else in your household.

It's what's in the water that's not seen by the naked eye that we're trying to eliminate or have the fish adapt to that's why a quarantine procedure is advisable. Some fish survive without the quarantine, though. If you're willing to take that risk.

candyl70
01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Ahhh... thanks for the info Alan. I was wondering the same thing myself. Not to worry though. These fish will have their own tank. :D

Candy