PDA

View Full Version : I can't find wilds!!

Poe835
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Hi guys, I've just joined this forum.

I live in Bangkok, Thailand. yes, there are tons and tons of great domestic strains selling for dirt cheap around here...but the problem is.. I can't find wilds! People here don't seem to appreciate wild strains and they are super hard to find. When available, they go for more than $100/each! I find it so ridiculous.

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done...but after seeing all your fantastic wilds here...I just need to vent :) I'm super super jealous of you guys.

take care and keep showing 'em wilds!
Poe

Poe835
01-13-2006, 02:45 AM
well..here's a pic of my 120 in desparate need of some wilds :)

keef
01-13-2006, 07:59 AM
That's a lovely set up poe, I especially love the grasses. I hope you find some wilds out there in Thailand, to be honest there don't seem to be many over here in the UK either at the moment. I hope you find some soon as I'm sure your aquarium would make a discus very happy!

jonboy
01-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Poe,

My wife is Thai and when ever we go to Bangkok it always amazes me how cheap the fish are!
I love wandering round the Chatuchat Market looking at the fish.
I must admit I never have seen any wild fish for sale.
I always buy fish food before i return to the UK as it's alot cheaper in Thailand.
Can you reccomend any other places to go for Discus in Bangkok?

Regards

Jon:)

sean13
01-13-2006, 05:03 PM
That is a really nice setup.Wild discus would look great in that.Good luck.

Sean

billeagan
01-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Outstanding setup.

What kind of lighting is on the tank.

Good luck with finding wilds. Its the shipping cost that makes them so expensive.

lkleung007
01-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Yep, finding "good quality" wilds is also becoming harder here in the States. There are just a couple of importers that I know of and it just isn't cheap.

Best of luck,
Lester

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Just out of curiosity ......... how cheap are the discus over there?

Cosmo
01-13-2006, 10:49 PM
This is off the topic, but.. very nice pic you have for your avatar CAge-Rattler :)

Jim

Poe835
01-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I hope I can find some soon..might have to settle for wild-look-alike domestics instead ..much cheaper also.

Jon, now they have a second location of the market about 20 miles away but the fish section there is heavily populated with discus shops. You should definitely visit there next time. The shops are actually mostly run by breeders so they can offer you high quality discus. But you have to be careful and use your judgement when buying the fish. Some of them are hormoned fish.

Billeagan, I only use 4x36 watt NO fluorescent tubes, each with its own reflectors. Everyone says you need at least 2+ watts/gallon to grow hairgrass..mine grows quite well with less than that.

How cheap are the discus here? Like anywhere, it depends on the size,quality, etc. But in general, we pay ~$10 or less for discus that's selling for $40-50 in the US. Lower quality discus can be had for less than that.

...someone send me a couple wilds for a couple nice domestics? :D ha ha..

jonboy
01-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Poe,

Thanks for the information.
What is the name of the place where the other market is?
I am aware alot of Asian bred fish are hormoned,you have to be very careful.
Alot of the betta's that arrive in this country have been hormoned and don't live for very long.
Are you Thai?

Thanks

Regards

JoN

keef
01-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Jon,
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Thailand in the future. Was just wondering how do you ship your fish back to the UK after you have picked them out in Thailand.
Cheers
K

jonboy
01-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Jon,
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Thailand in the future. Was just wondering how do you ship your fish back to the UK after you have picked them out in Thailand.
Cheers
K

K,

I don't ship any fish back to the UK, just like looking whats on offer.
To be honest it's not worth doing unless you buy alot of fish.The fish are very cheap to buy but by the time you pay freights charges and costs at this end to allow your fish to clear customs it's not worth while for a few fish.You would also require an import licience to allow you to bring fish into the country,this is about£80 I think.
Fish bought in the EEC can be brought in the UK without a licience ,just make sure you have the receipts.You can buy fish in Germany alot cheaper than you can in the UK.Many people take their car on the ferry and go over to Germany,it's easier that way as some airlines are funny about taking livestock.

Regards

Jon

Poe835
01-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Jon,
I just went to the location I told you about today and I noticed there were a quite a bit fewer discus stores now (haven't been there a while). I guess they didn't sell that well over there. So your best bet is still with breeders or the original Chatuchak market on weekends.

Last week as I was browsing the discus stores, I ran into two middle-eastern guys from Bahrain. They both were holding at least 5 large bags of discus each and still were buying new fish like they were free. They said they couldn't find this in Bahrain. I asked them how they plan to bring them back...they simply said.."just carry them back on the plane". Apparently, they said there's no problem hand carrying discus back to their country. Pretty interesting. Wish it would be that easy to carry wilds back from other countries as well :)

btw. I'm thai.

- Poe

jonboy
01-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Jon,
I just went to the location I told you about today and I noticed there were a quite a bit fewer discus stores now (haven't been there a while). I guess they didn't sell that well over there. So your best bet is still with breeders or the original Chatuchak market on weekends.

Last week as I was browsing the discus stores, I ran into two middle-eastern guys from Bahrain. They both were holding at least 5 large bags of discus each and still were buying new fish like they were free. They said they couldn't find this in Bahrain. I asked them how they plan to bring them back...they simply said.."just carry them back on the plane". Apparently, they said there's no problem hand carrying discus back to their country. Pretty interesting. Wish it would be that easy to carry wilds back from other countries as well :)

btw. I'm thai.

- Poe

Sawasdee Khap Poe,

What other place's to you recommend aprt from Chatuchak?

Regards

Jon

beta
01-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Would importing them from Taiwan workout? They have amazing wilds there!

Poe835
01-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Jon, It's called Thonburi Weekend Market. Well known under the name Chatuchak II. It's in Budhamonthon district.

beta, I have no idea where to start in terms of getting wilds from Taiwan...any recommendations?

thanks
Poe

jonboy
01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Jon, It's called Thonburi Weekend Market. Well known under the name Chatuchak II. It's in Budhamonthon district.

beta, I have no idea where to start in terms of getting wilds from Taiwan...any recommendations?

thanks
Poe

Thanks for the information Poe,

Regards

Jon:)

beta
01-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Try posting in these places:

http://tw.club.yahoo.com/clubs/Wild-discus-club/

http://coralbbs.twbbs.org/cgi-bin/forums.cgi?forum=13

jonboy
01-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Poe,

Try this link below

http://www.discus.com.tw/index-3f.htm

Hope this of help.

Regards

Jon

Poe835
01-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow...Thanks guys!! this is great.

I might have to go over to the USA for a business trip. Does anyone know if they would let me carry some live fish as a carry-on out of the US? I have a hunch they won't let me get pass security...does anyone know for a fact? Carrying it into Thailand won't be a problem.. it's getting them out of the US that worries me.

thanks again!
Poe

goheel
01-23-2006, 09:30 PM
from my experience, they don't check you when you go out of the US.

Poe835
01-24-2006, 12:29 AM
hmm.. but I would have to put my bag through the x-ray scanner right? Chances are they might see some fish skeletons moving around :) what would they do then? Hope they won't ask me to flush them!

fishfarm
01-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Hand carrying fish on a plane is not a problem, Putting them thru the xray won't hurt them either. Just tell the security guy what you have, it's not illegal. Here's a few of my wilds to make you drool. Ken

fishfarm
01-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Heckels

Poe835
01-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi Fishfarm. Thanks for the reply. Those are really awesome fish and I'm DROOLING!
May I ask where you got them? thanks a ton!
Poe

jonboy
01-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Lovely Fish Ken,

Is the first one a Curipea?

Regards

Jon

fishfarm
01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi, I import from Brazil, LOL Curipura is a trade name, It's a wild blue with a lot of red, Color feeding with New Life Spectrum pellets and putting nutrarose in the beefheart brings the red out. Its a champion fish with two first places so far. Maybe three after this year. Ken

fishfarm
01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Here's thre same fish two years ago when I first imported it, 4" then, 6 " now. Ken

Poe835
03-26-2006, 12:22 PM
well...I pretty much gave up trying to find wilds, so I went for some domestics that kinda look like wilds (I think).. I just got them home today...here's what they look like.

Poe835
03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
another shot..

Poe835
03-26-2006, 12:25 PM

Poe835
03-26-2006, 12:26 PM
from the front of the tank (the pic above was the rear)

Ramon Anastacio
03-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Those are nice fish in a nice tank.:)

Jarrod
03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Poe ..that is a gorgeous fish!..may I ask what it's called and who you got it from? That is a sweeeet addition to your stock...congrats on it!
Jarrod

Poe835
03-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Hi Jarrod,
I got them directly from a local breeder here in thailand. I'm not sure what they're called outside thailand, but locally, it's widely known as "5-color". I think that they are close descendents of the wild type. They have been bred in captivity for may generations. The breeders here like them because they are good at rearing their offspring. I settled for these because of the wild-look and cost comparied to true-wilds (the large one ~5" was $15, the two smaller ones ~3.5" were $8 each.. I would've paid a ton more if they were true wilds..if I can ever find them).

Jarrod
03-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi Jarrod,
I got them directly from a local breeder here in thailand. I'm not sure what they're called outside thailand, but locally, it's widely known as "5-color". I think that they are close descendents of the wild type. They have been bred in captivity for may generations. The breeders here like them because they are good at rearing their offspring. I settled for these because of the wild-look and cost comparied to true-wilds (the large one ~5" was $15, the two smaller ones ~3.5" were $8 each.. I would've paid a ton more if they were true wilds..if I can ever find them).

Poe..Well no matter what they are called I think they are beautiful!...they do have a "wild" look to them IMO...I've considered wilds myself and they are expensive from what I've seen on the prices on the web...I must say you are fortunate to have so many fine breeders in your area that you can visit personally and hand pick your stock. Congrats again Poe on some very fine looking fish! Best of luck with them and please keep us all up to date with their progress with pics as you can.:)
Jarrod