PDA

View Full Version : For those who have bred??

chago09
01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Everyone who has had their discus breed.... What did you do with them after?? did you sell them to pet stores???? and if you did how much did you make from it??? like is there a going rate on each fish???? I was just wondering because I would love to know if I could make some money from my discus.:D :D :D :D

Alight
01-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Add up your expenses for raising Discus. Include some compensation for how much time you spend on your Discus. Calculate how many Discus you could raise to selling size given X number of tanks and how much time it would take to take care of X number of tanks. Don't forget the cost of all the water you will have to use, and the cost for the energy to heat and cool the tanks to the proper temperatures.

If you do this on a large scale, include overhead for the building in which you raise your Discus.

Then calculate the price that the Discus would have to sell for to make any money at all. Throw in income tax, property taxes, etc.

Then check the prices of Discus on the internet.

Once you do, you will know why there are very few commercial breeders of Discus in this country.

Can you make money as a hobbyist? That actual question is how much less can you lose by selling some of your baby Discus.

(Forgot to add in the expense of the divorce settlement and the psychiatric care--LOL)

pcsb23
01-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Add up your expenses for raising Discus. Include some compensation for how much time you spend on your Discus. Calculate how many Discus you could raise to selling size given X number of tanks and how much time it would take to take care of X number of tanks. Don't forget the cost of all the water you will have to use, and the cost for the energy to heat and cool the tanks to the proper temperatures.

If you do this on a large scale, include overhead for the building in which you raise your Discus.

Then calculate the price that the Discus would have to sell for to make any money at all. Throw in income tax, property taxes, etc.

Once you do, you will know why there are very few commercial breeders of Discus in this country.

Can you make money as a hobbyist? That actual question is how much less can you lose by selling some of your baby Discus.

(Forgot to add in the expense of the divorce settlement and the psychiatric care--LOL)
Harsh but true!!! Same in the UK too!
Paul.

Alight
01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Actually, wasn't meant to be harsh, more funny! I actually love raising my babies. My wife reminds me of all the costs, though. I price my Discus at a range that will make people want to take care of them, rather than give them a way, because I want them well taken care of. I do not hope to come close to breaking even by selling them.

billeagan
01-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Besides the cost.... You will have your spouse reminding you that you married them and not a fish tank =)

cobaltblue
01-13-2006, 04:25 PM

LMAO....would be true for me if i bought as many tanks and fish as i wanted.

chago09
01-13-2006, 04:49 PM
no I didn't mean anything large scale. I just have my one tank and wanted to know if I had babies and took them all out and brought them to a pet store... how much could I get for them??? I'm not planning on making a busines out of it lol. Like these fish are sold for like 30 to 50 dollars Canadian at about 1 inch here in Canada. So if I sold fry for lets say 5$ a fish and they have about 100 babies. thats 500$ a batch. I'm pretty sure a store would take them for 5$ each since in one month he can sell them for 30 to 50. You see what I mean????

Alight
01-13-2006, 05:07 PM
In the states, most lfs and all box store fs will not pay you for fish you bring in. They may give you store credit or allow you to trade for food, tanks, plants, etc. This can be handy for reducing the expenses of your hobby.

The markup is actually more than 6 times, actually at least 10 times and sometimes more. Remember they have to figure in losses from fish death, poor selling items, etc.

Most big box stores won't take them at all as they have exclusive contracts with commercial importers (most don't buy amercian).

The best way to sell your fish is over the internet through Discus sites, Aquabids, e-bay and Craig's list. Check there and you will find the prices that discus are going for, and you'll know how much you can expect to make.

Check the buy-sell-trade section here, for example, and the prices the sponsors are asking.

chago09
01-13-2006, 06:45 PM
oh I see... Well that helps and like you said store credit wouldn't be so bad cause I can use my discus's horniness to fund me a new tank LOL. Anyways thanx for the help. I wonder if there is any fish afrodeziaks LOL get them to work.

Glenn
01-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Chago09 which city are you in that may help with stores that buy fish

chago09
01-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Well I live in Toronto but go to university in Windsor so anything between there I'm willing to drive too. I live in windsor during school months obvioulsy but drive home a lot to see family.