PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate!!!!

chago09
01-14-2006, 12:16 PM
I just tested my water and my nitrate was zero. If I have plants in my tank don't I need nitrates??? I have a semi planted tank and was wondering why my nitrates were zero???

pcsb23
01-14-2006, 02:16 PM
I can think of a few reasons why this mat be so. 1) The plants are using all the available nitrates, 2) w/c regime is removing all nitrates 3) faulty test kit, if it is more than 12 months I'd get another one, 4) this is unlikely but... there may be an anaerobic filtration going somewhere in your tank most prob IF its happening it will be in the substrate.
Paul.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I hate to jump on your thread especially since i dont have a planted tank and cant answer your questions.

But i was wondering how you remove NITRATES if your tap water contains 10 ppm nitrate already? Aging doesnt remove nitrate does it?

Ardan
01-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Hi,
Aging will not remove nitrates. Anorobic bacteria can remove nitrates, but filters using these bacteria don't always work.

better yet

Plants will remove nitrates, some put philodendron plants at the top of the tanks, with the roots hanging in the tank.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40903&highlight=philodendron
hth
Ardan

Happy Birthday today Cage-Rattler!:)