PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining QT tanks

sugio
01-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Being new to the hobby I was wondering if any of you could provide with some advice on how to maintain QT tanks. I have 3 tanks, a 37gal, 55gal and a 29gal. I have my discus in the 37gal and plan to add a good variety to the 55 gal soon. But I would like to make the 29gal a QT tank. Do I need to keep the QT tank running - i.e. maintain biofiltration, temp etc. even though I may not have fish in it all the time? Obviously shutting it down will kill the biofiltration process but I am wondering I need to really keep the QT tank running regardless of whether I need to use it routinely or not.

I don't intend to have any more tanks (just don't have the time; I am lucky to be able to keep the two bigger ones:)) and fill slowly add to my collection. I would like to not keep the QT tank running. Thanks.

sugio

wvt9527
01-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Are you are useing a sponge filter?
They will keep the bio load in them even after it has become dried.

I had a sponge filter set up for years almost threw it away.
I decided to try it in a tank & with in 24 hours it had the bio built up in the tank.

Walter

Carol_Roberts
01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Keep an extra sponge filter running in one of the big tanks. then if you need a quarantine tank you have a fully cycled filter ready to go.

sugio
01-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Are you are useing a sponge filter?
They will keep the bio load in them even after it has become dried.

I had a sponge filter set up for years almost threw it away.
I decided to try it in a tank & with in 24 hours it had the bio built up in the tank.

Walter
Walter,

Yes, I am using a sponge filter in addition to a Penguin 200 HOB with biowheel. Your comments on the sponge filter is really interesting. Was it kept wet/moist or was it stored dry? Just a curious question. Thanks.

sugio

sugio
01-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Carol,

That is a good suggestion. I guess there is not much hope for putting away the HOB filter with Biowheel and then using it when needed for the QT tank. I can certainly put additional sponge filters in my 55gal. Thanks.

sugio

wvt9527
01-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Sugio it was stored dry for a # of years.
Carol has a good ideal by keeping an extra sponge filter going.
Please dont forget that if you use it in a QT you will need to put it in the microwave for a couple minutes to kill anything in the filter, before you put it back in your tank that has the healthy fish in it.

Walter