PDA

View Full Version : After the eggs hatch

dmacch
01-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Can I switch back to straight tap water after the eggs hatch. The fry are not free swimming yet and I am gradually adding more tap to my r.o., it was 20% r.o. / 80% tap, now it's about 50/50. Thanks

Dom

Jarrod
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Can I switch back to straight tap water after the eggs hatch. The fry are not free swimming yet and I am gradually adding more tap to my r.o., it was 20% r.o. / 80% tap, now it's about 50/50. Thanks

Dom

Dom I think it would mainly depend on your tap waters params. Alot of the european and asian breeders use tap water for their water changes. I've been reading and re-reading Jack Wattleys book Discus for the perfectionist and alot of the breeders that he talked to and about in his book gave several variations of water parameters and such in the breeding process. If your PH and stuff is good then you should be able to do that..but I don't know for sure. I'm just passing on what I've been reading in his book...
hth
Jarrod

hexed
01-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Dom,
Unfortunately I do not use RO water. I would think that once the eggs hatch you should be able to add more tap and less RO to your mix. I would do it slowly as not to upset the discus, if it is done slowly I can't see any problems. Someone who uses RO water might be a little more helpful then me but I would say yes to it :)
Frank

Green Country Discus
01-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Dom, we start changing from RO mix to tap once the fry free swim. We add tap at 10% per day until they are on 100% aged tap. If you keep you non breeding Discus in tap, it should work for you. Hope this helps.