PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of discus is consider to be the fiercest?

mikechen
01-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Yesterday when I visited my friends who keeps discus too. Recently he bought a beautiful red doll female in hope to mate with his original red doll male. After a couple of days, the female show her aggression against the male. She keeps on biting the male and chases other discus in the community tank away letting no one to come near her. Even when my friend do WC she would attack his hands. When he showed me yesterday I can't stop bursting with laughs. It's the first time I see things like this. As to my poor friend---his wish is hard to fulfill. She just can not get along with any other discus. Is this kind of situation just temper or might be color enhancer feeding.(She is red with no peppers) He just keeps on dreaming one day they would succeed.

Now I am interested to know what kind of discus is thought to be the fiercest in majority? In my openion solid red is the fiercest but as an amateur I have very limited experience.

Jeckel
01-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Well, that's a new one on me. Sounds more like a piranha. I don't know what to say. I don't think fish get rabies...

Maybe someone here has seen a discus attack a person's hands. I would have thought that could only happen when the fish are guarding eggs, although my breeding pairs have never been that aggressive.

I once had a pair of angelfish that would bite me when they were spawning. And some of the large cichlids will jump out of the water and smack you in the face if you look down on them when they have eggs or fry. But discus??

I'd also be interested in hearing whether any of the strains have different "personalities." But I suspect your friend just has a psycho fish.

Ryan
01-19-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't think it's so much the strain as it is the individual fish. Discus, like other cichlids, each develop their own personalities. I've noticed that in discus, angels, severums, uaru, and many other cichlids. As the fish mature, they each become their own unique fish. I've had terror discus and angels who harass and attack tankmates, and I've had those who are timid and shy away. There've been severums that I could mix with small fish, even had a giant pair of gold severums spawn in my community tank with angels and gouramis (the male was over 9" and massive, the female about 7") and never touched them... and then I've had small green severums attack and kill angels.

I would guess that your friend's discus just has a bad attitude. Sometimes you'll have fish that are bullies regardless of what you try. I had a male angelfish who was beautiful, a smokey blusher veil, but he attacked every female angel I ever put him with. He would spawn with them, but they'd end up with shredded fins and torn lips from all the biting and pecking. No matter how many fish I mixed him with, he was just mean. I guess some just stay that way.

Ryan

Rod
01-19-2006, 05:57 AM
I have a blue turk female that leaps out of the water to bite me when she has fry, thats the most agro discus i have seen. Shes gentle with the male however :D

korbi_doc
01-19-2006, 09:38 AM
:p I had a blue snake male that was ferocious to others & did kill 2 females after breeding with them......

Timbo
01-19-2006, 11:10 AM
talk about fierce:

http://www.break.com/index/flyingfish.html

justafishguy
01-19-2006, 11:35 AM
talk about fierce:

http://www.break.com/index/flyingfish.html

That is really crazy! I am glad the discus dont jump out of our tanks like that.

mikechen
01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Jackel: Yeah, I also believe each discus has its own personality but his discus really has a bad temper.

Ryan: Yap, sometimes the prettier the more baneful. I think that is the way she's gonna be.

Rod: I think my friend will be more than happy if the red doll female can be l
as gentle as your blue turk female to her mate. She makes three male's bodies covered with wounds so my friend has to keep her isolated today.

Korbi: I also has a male who is gentle to the female at first but if she is not in the mood for spawn. He turns to be violent in seconds and beats the female bad so I give him away.

I myself has a dog diagnosed having hyperthyroidism. She's also bad tempered and has bad attitude towards anyone including me since she was little. I am bitten whenever she's upset. I am so glad she is a pomeranian not a german shepherd dog. Don't say I did not try to teach her. I did not know what is her problem until one day her hair began to come off and never grew back. So I brought her to see a vet and found out the problem is thyroid gland. I did not know if fish has thyroid gland or not. But I do know some kind of color enhancer will sometimes cause the fish weird in personality.

Timbo: Nice video clips you share. Where is it? Looks like the amazon. It's really amazing!:D