PDA

View Full Version : Need to know more

chago09
01-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Ok I am buying something like a 90 gallon probbaly this week. Want to move my dicus into the tank when its ready. I want it to be a nice planted tank with many community fish. also discus ofcourse. I want to know where to start. I know i need a sub substrate for the plants. My questions are everything you can think of. I know the basic care for a discus cause i've had them for a few months now so i know the basics but now I want to know all the extras like what color substrate is best, best tank mates, best lighting, best filtration for 90 gallon, and so on???

hexed
01-19-2006, 12:10 AM
I just asked the same question in the section Planted/Show Tanks and Biotopes. I asked for a list of what is needed. You placed this in the wrong category and it will most likely be moved to the one I asked in :(
Frank

RyanH
01-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi there,

I'm going to move your thread to the showtank section where it will get the attention of the planted tank experts. :)

-Ryan

Westie
01-19-2006, 01:47 AM
After reliable lighting look for easy to grow plants. I have so much luck with Banana plants I have to clip them! Slow and lazy are good terms for planters.

diablocanine
01-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Were you able to read the information suggested in your previous threads?

Best color substrate? Whatever color appeals to you that can sustain plant growth, the list is very long. More info in the substrate section of the planted tank.

Best tankmates? You can see in my sig what I have in my discus tank and they all get along.

Best lighting? Whatever you can afford, best is HQI MHs in the 6700-1000 K range but there are other factors to consider when using MHs. More info in the lighting section of the planted tank.

Best filtration? This has been debated in numerous long threads throughout this forum and the planted tank. Bottom line, whatever you can afford that fits into your tank enviroment. For example, if you are not buying a drilled tank, consider a cannister filter that is rated for the size tank purchased but research the type/model you are considering.

Dood Lee
01-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Were you able to read the information suggested in your previous threads?

For some reason, I get the feeling that chago99 did not read the responses in his previous threads. All of the answers he is seeking can be found at Rex Grigg's site, yet the same questions are still being asked? :confused:

chago09
01-20-2006, 12:23 AM
sorry i never saw these two posts
thanx for help

Dissident
01-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Are you getting a 90 or a 75 gal... I'm sorry but it looks like you have several posts regarding the exact same thing. It is hard to know what you want or what you are trying to do. If you can condense it you can get better info.
Don’t have 6 threads with separate topics just air it all out in one spot so we can read everything and know what you are planning and what stages you are in. If you don't you are going to get a lot of info that may not be correct for where you are in the process.

So let's make THIS your Planted tank thread or at least pick one.

90gal Planted (high-tech)
50/50 Flourite/gravel mix
2 Rena XP3 Canister filters
6x55W PC (6500K-10,000K)
5lb CO2 tank
Regulator and in-line reactor
Macro & Micro ferts
Lots of fast growing stem-plants (lots) Easy growers are not the same

Are you looking to go Amano/dutch/jungle/etc aquascape?

There are a lot of experts out there, with years and years of planted tank experience. No offense to the people on these forums but this is not the ideal place to get the best planted tank help. There are a handful here with great experience and gorgeous planted tanks, but this is a Discus forum, dedicated to the Discus hobby. Would you goto a Taco Bell and ask them how to make a hamburger?

Visit one of the exclusive planted tank sites like aquabotanic/plantedtank/thekrib/APC/aquaticquotent to name a few, look at people's setups, se what they are using. Aquabotanic has a great thread on aquascaping, use the search function a lot. Do some reading on Tom Barr's EI methods.

If you want a successful planted tank it is a lot of work, you won't be able to get all the knowledge by asking questions as you think of them, because you will not know what to ask before there is a problem. I noticed that you were going to use a HOB filter for a planted tank, people here are not geared to look at filters the same way as plant-geeks do. These tanks take planning, thought, and patience.

I don't mean to come off harsh on a few points. I just want you to realize (along with other who want a planted tank) there is a lot more that goes into one of these setups than any average aquarium. If you just set up a tank, throw some plants in it, dump ferts in it, you are heading for disaster. Take a step back and look at what you want to get out of a new planted tank, what type of planted tank do you want and what are you willing to invest in time and $$.

chago09
01-20-2006, 09:52 AM
there were go that was better and thats what i was waiting for all along. LOL one questions though when you say disaster what do you mean like all plants will die??? but is all my plants die and I just decide to leave the flourite substrate in there thats fine right. It can stay forever and will never hurt fish correct??

Dissident
01-20-2006, 07:27 PM
The biggest disaster in a planted tank is Algae.
There will always be a little algae here and there, usually just a little green spot algae on the glass. Plants are hard to kill, usually they die because of poor lighting. If lighting is addressed early on it makes it a lot easier.

Higher the light (3.5-5W/gal - ~4W/gal optimal) the more work and more equipment you will need.
(high-tech)

Lower the light (2.0-3.5W/gal - ~2.5W/gal optimal) the less work it will be but you will be limited to what plants you can grow.
(low-tech)

Most of the show tanks you see on planted tank sites will be high tech.

Summery of setups for both types:

-HIGH TECH-
4 Watts/gallon (Power Compact/Metal Halide/VHO/HID/etc.)
6500k-10,000K (high CRI 80+, 90+ Optimal, 85-92 realistic)
Canister Filter system, good water movement, little to no 'dead spots' in tank
CO2 System (tank, regulator, needle valve, reactor)
Good substrate (flourite mix is fine)
Root tabs for root feeders is helpful
Macro & Micro Ferts, http://gregwatson.com/ is a great source and great prices (not sure if he shipps to Canada)
Test kits, Ph/Kh/Gh/No3/Po4 (Ammonia and nitrite kits for when tank is cycling)
Chuck Gladd's Planted Tank Calculator for dosing ferts
Digital Scale
Plant with fast growers, a lot of fast growers
--------------Optional High-Tech Equipment
Ph controller (recommended with discus)
UV Sterilizer

-LOW TECH-
2.5 W/gal (Power compact/Normal output Florescent)
(6500K-10,000K 'Daylight Bulb' if you have the option of high CRI the go for high)
Canister Filter (you could get away with HOB filters here too)
DIY CO2 (not recommended with discus) or Flourish Excel or neither
Any substrate that will hold plants.
Root tabs for root-feeder plants

----------
Take some time and look around and what type of tank you want to keep if you are unsure.
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi
http://www.plantella.com/
there are a lot of other sites out there