PDA

View Full Version : Speaking from experience....Flu seasons here!

brewmaster15
01-22-2006, 09:42 AM
:( :( :( :( :( what a miserable week its beens for my household. :( :( :( This is one nasty bug..... My voice is so hoarse I can't even speak...it hurts to swallow...and forget the coughin..yuck...

anyone else suffering?

-al

Ardan
01-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Sorry to hear that Al, was wondering where you were.:)
I see the common antiviral meds are not working against the flu this yr.

Antiviral Medications
Your doctor may recommend use of an antiviral medication to help treat the flu. Four antiviral drugs (amantadine, rimantadine, zanamavir, and oseltamivir) are approved for treatment of the flu. During the 2005-2006 influenza season, CDC recommends against the use of amantadine or rimantadine for the treatment or prophylaxis of influenza in the United States

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms.htm

Thankfully I haven't had it yet, nor do I want it:)

Hope you get well soon.

Ardan

brewmaster15
01-22-2006, 09:55 AM
:( Ardan,
its definetly not fun.... I'll admit it... I'm in the fishroom the first time today in 4 days:( Hope Everyone stays well in your House!

-al

sidra
01-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Hey Al! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I don't know anyone here on Long Island who's had it yet....You can keep it on your side of the sound, okay?

Feel better soon.

Kristen

bikhu
01-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I had it for over a week.. Bronchitis which the Doc said was beginning to develop into pneumonia. Gave me some huge antibiotics which seemed to do the trick. It was a miserable week though.
Glad that you are feeling better Al.
peter

Gold Mt Discus
01-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Try metro, nitro, and salt mix with a 15 minute pp bath. Works for me Al. hahahaha
Frank

brewmaster15
01-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Lol Frank!

My Dr told me that The chicken soup I was using was worthless...he said I should try a good beefheart and shrimp mix, and raise the temp ....we'll see.:)

Since its a a virus I'll stay off the meds until a secondary sets in.:)

-al

traco
01-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear your household has got that yucky flu. How are the kids doing? I am always amazed how they get so sick but bounce back so quickly. Not like us adults! It seems to drag on for us old folk......http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif

Hope you all start feeling better soon.:)

brewmaster15
01-22-2006, 12:53 PM
My son Ethan is a tough Guy...Hes been keeping it at bay.... mild cold at this point.. My wife.. shes a school teacher....best immune systems in the world...

me and my daughter... Becky has been ill with it now 8 days...It went from stomach to head and she even wound up with an ear and sinus infection... and since I am Daddy daycare... I got it as well.. I got hit like a brick wall...now its in my chest, less in thehead..

Not fun.

-al

Chrisb
01-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Al hope you and the family feel better.
My wife is a teacher also. She got sick alot her first year, but now after eight years she has her immune system built up.

Get well soon
Chris

Anonapersona
01-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Remember what your mom said...

Wash your hands, soap and water is better than the no-water things
Disinfect the phone and door handles, 409 is fine, alcohol is great
Get 15 minutes of sunshine a day on your face
Eat your vegetables, 5 to 9 servings a day (not including starches like corn and potatoes as vegetables)

Kindredspirit
01-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Flu shot!!! Even tho I forgot this year!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_54.gif

Glad you are feeling better, Al!

Marie~

brewmaster15
01-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Spoke too soon about my son Ethan... The afternoon was not good for him...poor little guy...Its rotten when the young ones get ill.:( :( :(

-al

wolfbane
01-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Sorry to hear you and your family are under the weather Al, praying for a speedy recovery for you all.

Last time I had the flu, my heart went whacky on me, so keep those germs up there, please!!

Timbo
01-23-2006, 05:19 AM
thats what happens when you dont quarenteen!

babyjess210
01-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I hear you Al. All 3 of us have been sick since Oct, on and off. One thing though if you feel better take a few more days off cuz this stuff will come back even stronger. Take Care
Kenny

pcsb23
01-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Its been much the same this side of the pond too! Us 'old uns' don't have the bounce back anymore.....

Get well soon Al.

Paul.

brewmaster15
01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
thanks guys.

Kenny...
One thing though if you feel better take a few more days off cuz this stuff will come back even stronger you were right...it did:(

-al

April
01-24-2006, 03:18 AM
children are such germy little things..once they are around other kids..they give it to the big people...
i havent had a cold or flu for 3 years now..the amount of years my kids have been out of highschool. lol.
hope you feel better..very soon.

korbi_doc
01-24-2006, 12:38 PM
:p Wow Al! hope you're doin' better, these illnesses are a drag, big time!! I got my flu shot again, never know if it really helps, so far so good... At Xmas, the whole family was sick with intestinal virus, short one, I managed to avoid it, my daughter was using Airborne, maybe it did help too. & yes, April, the 5 yr old brought it home!! hang in there Al, Dottie

babyjess210
01-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Al
Sorry to hear that.

April
You are so right my little girl started school this year and it been back and forth to the doctor's office. She just got over the flu and was ok for a week and now Stomach flu for the last 3 days....poor thing. I might have to start home school. LOL
Kenny

brewmaster15
01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Kenny, Thats the exact same thing we got here with my little girl only she got the stomach bug first, then the flu. Shes 4 1/2 ...been a hard year...shes been ill alot...makes me want to home school as well!:)

-al

April
01-24-2006, 10:35 PM
well i did daycare at my house..and my son had so many infections..his spleen was enlarged. but..kids have to build up their immune system..if they dont do it now..then they will later..
but theres some places that are good to avoid. like daycares full of runny nosed kids..big daycares..like 40 kids. they also say if they change schools or areas..they get sick the next year. new germs..new area..different immunities.
happens to rabbits too..if you move them from one rabbitry to another..and discus..

Elcid
01-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Al, my son and I have been going through it as well, usually I hit it early with Dimatapp and it's gone but this time I had to live through all the symptoms! Zycam seems to be helping, give it a try! For the throat use Chloroseptic Spray, nothing's better! Oh and don't forget to double dose before going to bed!

HTH
Sandeep

BTW, shouldn't this belong in the Disease/Sickness section? Please mOVE :D

babyjess210
01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
but..kids have to build up their immune system..if they dont do it now..then they will later..

Yeah April
But when they are 18 years old they might be out the house so they can build their immune system in their own house so I can get a good night sleep.LOL :D ;) Yep our doctor told us that most kids catch a cold about 9 times a year and if you squeeze that in from Oct-April you can see why they are always sick.

Sandeep
Yes I did hear that Zycam works pretty good but never tried it.

Al
For the stomach flu I gave her sliced Ginger covered with sugar and within 12 hours it was gone.
HTH
Kenny

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Ive got it too...super sore/achey all over, Coughing up yellowish crap, headache, head stuffed up. Think im getting an ear infection too ontop of it all. Just wanna sleep all the way through it. Nyquil is my friend at this point, lol.

-Ryan

brewmaster15
01-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Last night was my first sound nights sleep, and less coughing today..not bsure if coincidence but I slept with a shipping heat pack on my chest..I have to think it helped losen things up.

-al

Kenny's Discus
01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
I wish anyone who is having cold/flu will get well soon.

Kenny

KGTIII
01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
al,
I knew if you did something related to "FISH" You would feel better;)
Hope all of you are feeling better.
I get so happy when my kids go back to school!:mad: Been a bad year for crud! my middle son has had a tough year, course then it has to run its course through the entire family! :mad: :mad:
People at my work say that "airbourn" stuff helps, I tried to take some but gagged! It was like that alkaseltzer crap. think they have the capsules I might try.
Hope all is going better
Take care
LAYL
K/ed:gorgeous: