PDA

View Full Version : How Old

chago09
01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
How old or how big will your discus be when they start to pair off and breed??
I have 5 now in my tank and all are about 2 inches maybe 2.5. they still havent really fully coloured yet how long will that take?? There fed hikari blood worms twice a day and freze dried brine shrimp twice a day and a regular fish flake once a day. My schedule is Bloodworms, brine shrimp, flakes, brine shrimp, bloodworms. Water change about 25% every second day.

pcsb23
01-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Depends on the strain but they start getting sexually mature from about a year onwards, some from nine months and some from 18 months, thats about the start range. IME size isn't the issue with breeding.

Paul.

Carol_Roberts
01-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Paul is correct. Females mature at a younger age than males. Generally Blue diamond types mature later than pigoen bloods, etc. On average figure between 12 - 24 months

chago09
01-23-2006, 05:25 PM
what about colours when will they be fully coloured??or does that happen when the mature for breeding??? Another question which I have is totally off topic but i was looking through big als catalouge and saw this item called Discus Trace, Black water trace and a few more that said they were for discus to help create there ecosystem and so on. Also said helps colours develop and helps induce for breeding. Is this true or just another thing on the shelf they try to sell???

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Generally color is the last thing to develop . . . usually close to a year old and breeding age for full color and markings.

Amazon extract things are not needed.

chago09
01-23-2006, 10:15 PM
k thanx that helped