PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle this?

craniac24
01-22-2006, 06:41 PM
I just had 2 of my discus pair up. They already laid eggs once earlier this week, but not surprisingly, none hatched. I was getting ready to do a WC tonight when I noticed more eggs. Problem is that they laid them on a piece of tall driftwood very close to the top of the tank. If I were to attempt a WC, i wouldn't be able to change more than 10% of the water without the water going below where the eggs are.

So here's the thing. These eggs probably won't hatch anyway, and if they do, they're going to get eaten by the other fish in the tank. Also, I have no interest in setting up another tank to try to breed them at this time. I'm more concerned if the pair is going to flip out and possibly damage themselves when they see their eggs disappearing above the water surface. I've done WCs before when eggs were in the tank, and nobody seemed to care. This time though its a little different since the eggs are so high up.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Joe

Tony_S
01-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I wouldnt hesitate to go about your normal routine. Its highly unlikely there going to flip out....A good indicator might be for you to put your hand around the eggs to cover them up....see what they do. An ULTRA protective pair will hammer away at your hand.... But its not that common to have a pair quite that protective.

Tony

craniac24
01-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Thank you Tony.

Alight
01-23-2006, 01:17 PM
I had a pair that did the same thing. I changed the water as usual, and the eggs were high and dry for at least 20 minutes. The surprise is that nearly all the eggs still hatched! This was in a community tank so the fry were eventually eaten, after they went free swimming. The parents seemed mostl unconcerned during the water change, and resumed fanning the eggs once the water was returned.