PDA

View Full Version : Food floating

White Worm
01-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Anyone know why discus dont eat food that floats at the water line. Mainly the older ones only eat what falls in front of their face or sits on the bottom. Is it because of their range of sight? I see them turn sideways to look at me when i am above their tank. Maybe they just dont see it?

RyanH
01-24-2006, 02:50 PM
My fish eat floating bloodworms and Colorbits when they are healthy and not stressed. This is usually after they've cleaned up any food in the water column or sitting on the bottom. If they aren't feeling well, they will tend to stay toward the bottom and avoid the water's surface. This is even if they are eating. Anything floating will remain until I remove it.

I'm not suggesting that your fish are sick but they may be under stress for some reason that you aren't aware of.

hth
-Ryan

White Worm
01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
They will snatch everything they see in the water column, then snack off the floor until all gone and will peck some of the food on the top of the water but they just dont prefer food at the surface. I dont think they are stressed or sick. Maybe just by the time they get to the floating stuff, they are not so hungry?

hexed
01-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Mine did the same but I lowered the water line about an inch from the top and they seem to see the food better and now it's always eaten :) Could be because the light might be to bright just like having frys at the surface, they see them better when the water level is a little lower.
Frank

White Worm
01-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks frank, that makes sense, i have 2 flourescent bulbs above their 35g tank. Maybe it is kinda bright for them when they look up for food. I know they are hungry but they wait for it to drop then they tear it up. Maybe I will remove one of the bulbs and see if that makes a difference. Mike

hexed
01-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Won't hurt to try :)
If it doesn't try removing some water and see if that works, it should.
Frank

jim_shedden
01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
I have found that in general...........they come to the surface regularly when the lights are low.

Jim

White Worm
01-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks Jim, the lights are right on top of the glass, 2 bright flourescents. I will try to dim this light and see if that makes a difference.

scans
01-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Mine eat anything, anywhere. I am waiting to wake up in the morning and find them in the kitchen making bacon and eggs :D

Riche_guy
01-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Is it possible to put a dimmer on a florescent light for feeding time?

White Worm
01-25-2006, 04:24 PM
You can hook a dimmer switch to any light switch in place of a regular on / off switch.

Riche_guy
01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
You can hook a dimmer switch to any light switch in place of a regular on / off switch.

I'm not sure though for a florescent light. Often dimmers have restrictions for incandecent only.

White Worm
01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Now that I think of it, maybe I havent tried it with flourescent lights? HHHMMMMM, maybe time for an experiment with lighting?

pcsb23
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
You can dim electronic ballast flourescent fittings only. Magnetic or wire wound ballast flourescent firtings will stall, burn out the starter and ultimately fail if you attempt to dim them.

hth,
Paul.

Riche_guy
01-25-2006, 05:15 PM
You can dim electronic ballast flourescent fittings only. Magnetic or wire wound ballast flourescent firtings will stall, burn out the starter and ultimately fail if you attempt to dim them.

hth,
Paul.

That is really good to know, thanks for the info.