PDA

View Full Version : Removing Parents

Georgios48
01-25-2006, 03:33 AM
It's the first time breeding discus and I need some answers you probably can help me with.
The fries are 2,5 weeks free swimming. Is there still a possibility that the parents will eat them? I'm asking because they try to get rid of them.
I just removed the father but I cannot do the same with the mother because the fries are always attached closely to her.
Is it necessary to medicate for the fries?
Thanks

Jason
01-25-2006, 06:04 AM
hi,

nice fish and frys!

you can leave them with the parents for over 3 weeks, its a good way to go if you cannot feed them often throughout the day because of work or whatever.you should remove them as soon as possible if the parents are getting eaten raw, or you cant maintain good water quality, or the parents are fighting.

They sometimes eat the frys if they are fighting over them and sometimes they lay more eggs they whack the current brood.

To seperate they must be eating bbs and even better if they are eating a variety of foods.
drain 2/3rds of the water out of the breeding tanks and use it to fill the rearing tank. Siphon out the frys with a clear rigid pipe attached to a hose, gently suck them up and put them in the rearing tank.

If you want to remove the female you can use the same method just pour the frys back in after you remove the parents.

some breeders treat for flukes and do dips with meth blue of something simmilar to conbat any secondary infections.

Georgios48
01-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Jason,
Thank you very much.
What are the alternatives to bbs for feeding the frys?
What kind of medication can the frys tolerate and which is the right dosage?
Thanks again.

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Between 2 - 3 weeks after freeswimming they will eat powdered tetrabits or flakes, shaved bloodworms or beefheart, and california black worms. I don't medicate unless there is a problem.

Jason
01-30-2006, 04:30 AM
Hi Georgios,

good advice from Carol,

I will use the foods she mentioned except the beefheart wich I do not start using until they are a bit older and in a bigger tank.

I treat for flukes routinely wether I see a problem or not at 3-4 weeks with 3cc of formalin to 50l for 6-8 hours followed by a 80% water change with some salt and meth blu added, repeat again 7 days later.