PDA

View Full Version : Discus University needs YOU!!

RyanH
01-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Please help us help you!!

We are accepting pics for a new forum that we're starting. We need pics of good quality fish and poor quality fish that will be evaluated by a panel of experts.

The pics must be submitted through me! The forum will not allow you post pics there directly.

These pictures can be submitted by emailing them to me directly at ryanthehutt@yahoo.com

When emailing me, please use a heading that states clearly what the email is for. I get alot of junk these days and not all goes to my bulk folder.

All submissions will be totally anonymous. As will the panel of judges. Your names will not be attached to the pics in any way.

The goal is to help people become better educated in what to look for when selecting Discus. We will open up the thread for discussions once the pics are posted and evaluated by our judges. For more details head on over to the Discus University forum:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//forumdisplay.php?f=91

An educated consumer is an empowered consumer!!

Thanks in advance everyone!!:D :D :D

Kindredspirit
01-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Yes Boss! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_7_4.gif

Marie~:D

White Worm
01-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Maybe you can clear this up a little. You ask for good quality fish pics and bad quality fish pics. If this is to educate us on which is which, how do we know what pics to send? Can we just send a pic of what we think is good and have it evaluated? Mike

Audrey
01-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Maybe also have pics of "average" discus...ya know...not show quality or breeder quality, but just the same is a pretty fish.
Just a thought....

I would like to have my discus evaluated by the pros, but in a way I don't want to know if they think my fish suck!!!! LOL!!!!

Audrey

Ryan
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
For now, we're not going to be doing any individual critiques on fish. We want to do a general post for what are considered good and bad examples of discus. Submit your photos, explain what you think they are (good or bad and why) and if those who view them agree, we'll include them.

Remember, this is all going to be anonymous so we won't know whose fish they are or which breeder they came from.

Ryan

RyanH
01-25-2006, 02:20 PM
If this is to educate us on which is which, how do we know what pics to send? Can we just send a pic of what we think is good and have it evaluated? Mike

Absolutely. If your unsure then send them in anyway.

This isn't to hurt anybody's feelings. It's simply meant to be a tool to help you when selecting Discus.

Ideally, we'd like to eventually put together a library of pics that we can also use for other things in the future. The depth and quality of contents of this library depends on the participation of the members here.

brewmaster15
01-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Part of the point here everyone is illustrate what are the sites general ideas of good and bad fish... and what I think you will see is a lot of variability in how we each assess a fish when we look at one... and thats what we need to address first....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!>>>. take a look at your fish... send in a pic of what you think is a good fish.. or send in one that you think is bad....

once we have them...we'll take a look at where everyone stands with thoughts of quality, and we'll look at the fish and specifically call out the good , bad and ugly..You may be surprised to find out that your ugly was a pretty decent fish... or maybe that good fish is good except for...

Its anonymous...you have nothing to lose and a world of knowledge to gain.

-al

White Worm
01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks for giving some more specifics. Cool, send in pics of our fish and give our opinions and the experts will let us know if we are right. Select ones will be posted. Will we hear back even if our pics arent posted as an example? Mike

brewmaster15
01-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Mike,
Unless the pic is blurry or goes against the rules we set for anonymous posting or pictures and ownership issues...we will post all the pics. The idea is not for RyanH or myself to make any assessments...its to gather examples of what people Think are good and bad fish and then discuss what they are and why.

Theres not going to be any feedback directly with anyone that submitted a pic..it'll be on the board.. and there will be the ability to ask questions after we have looked at everything.

hth,
al

White Worm
01-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks Al, got it! Mike

RyanH
01-26-2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the pics sent in so far guys! They're looking great. Exactly what we're looking for.

Just to let you know: If I receive pics from you I'll send you a reply. If you don't get a response from me, I didn't get them. Please send them again.

Thanks again everybody! Keep those pics coming! :)

RyanH
01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi All,

We are going to be posting the first batch of pics for critiquing in the next day or so.

They can be found in the new section we're calling "Discus University". Once they have been reviewed by our experts, we'll open up the threads for member discussion. I hope to see all of you over there giving your input and participating in discussion.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//forumdisplay.php?f=91

I want to thanks everyone again for sending in your pics. They have been fantastic!

I think they will do a great job in getting this new section started and illustrating many traits that hobbyists should look for when buying Discus... both good qualities and things we should avoid like a plague.:)

If any of you have pics that you would still like to submit, feel free to send 'em on in!

ryanthehutt@yahoo.com

Thanks again everybody!:)

-Ryan

RyanH
02-02-2006, 08:45 AM
The first batch of pics are posted in the new section.